• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotlight: Soul Eater

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the series and totally unsurprised that it was licensed.

The action and story for the most part play out like typical shonen fair(when it's done well). But the pop culture references and the stylistic unique "Tim Burton"-esque animation really make the show stand out.

Arguing about the origin of the Death God concept is pretty futile. Death Gods in many different forms have appeared in the literature, folk lore and religions of most countries. Stylistically Shinigami-Sama is more in line with the european concept of the Grim Reaper, however the very concept of there being many different death gods is a much more eastern concept since european religions tend to focus on a single god in a pantheon for the purpose(or a single angel of death in the case of Christianity). When it comes to anime/manga even when the world is close to the real world, the mythology tends to always be a pick-and-mix of whatever seems best, the most interesting to the author.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
With this and Rebuild I might act as a bitch for funi. If you can't get it Blu Ray are HD fansubs okay (now it's inaccessable assume you are okay with fansubs?)
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Her weapon, Soul Eater, is a death scythe who...

Soul is not a death scythe... yet.

Quote:
His partners are Patti and Liz Thompson, sisters who can turn into twin pistols that use kishin eggs as bullets for their clips.

Not quite. They compress Kidd's soul wavelength into bullets.

And congratulations to Funimation on this license!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Though this show doesn't really interest me, the artwork is well done. Funimation was smart to license this though.
giascle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Maybe you should stay away from the internet if you're going to get so worked up with anyone having a different opinion from you.

lol you actually think I'm hurt that others don't share my opinion
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:

lol you actually think I'm hurt that others don't share my opinion

lol you think the mods here don't see through your lame bullsh*t like cheap saran wrap
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
... Lots of people, lots of people (myself included) find the Excalibur episodes to be a massive drag on the series.

...except at least one of them is totally canon with the manga. They are like omake chapters at the end of the volume, purely there for comedic effect.

I heard the same complaints about how an episode about the students taking a test was "filler dribble." Again, totally canon and part of the regular storyline.

I said nothing about filler or cannon, because that has nothing to do with my complaint about the episodes in question. The problem is that Excalibur is massively irritating, but misses the intended comical mark. I enjoyed the test episode because I thought it was funny.

Just because something was in the manga doesn't mean it has to be included in the adaptation.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Eh, arguements about the filler aside, This is bones at there finest and that's a boat I can get on.
DamienStryker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
Soul Eater has a lot of potential to take off here because of it's action alone... never mind some of the different takes of comedy that it takes. However, if someone were to run this on TV straight, then they are definitely going to have to find someone to run this on their network who isn't afraid of the ecchier moments. Sci-Fi would be a better market for this particular one to "fend off a certain ninja franchise".

If they were going to just take it to DVD and leave it at that, then it might be for the better to just go and show it in all it's glory... with a edited, sub/dub follow up at some point later in 2010. I think I remember hearing that it was going to be sold in 9 eps per DVD and left subbed. Either way it goes... we are better off in the long run since such a great brand of anime is getting it's just due on this end.

There are pretty deep moments here as well in the series that don't fly in my opinion as well if it were to be sent to say a CN. Even Naruto has it's moments in Shipuuden where the characters look pretty lost and depressed... I wonder how they'll handle that, lol. It's a trend in popular anime that the lead gets down on themselves and it tends to drag onwards even more so with another series. Still showing this to easily impressionable youngsters might not be in the best interest of the masses. o_o;

All I'm saying, I guess... is that this is for the better that it's getting purchased by Funi... for those who follow the C+D list... we saw it coming and was fully prepared for what was to come. It's just something that I am not expecting on TV until either we get a grip shoreside... or it gets sent to a time slot that can understand it's value without the need for a TiVo.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Toonami goat replaced by "Action Flix" which is a totally lousy replacement. They keep showing the same movies over and over. Then depending on if the movie is 1.5 or 2 hours, we get Naruto. So I don't know that we'll get Soul Eater at that time. Knowing the brilliant logic that Cartoon Network has with Anime they'll probably think that 6 AM is a good choice.
nick0991

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
hmm... well lets start guessing the cast shall we?...wait it will be just the same as fma and ouran. silly me what was i thinking?
Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
So it was liscensed after all...
I remember leaving a very long "grow-up" lecture on a certain fansub board when Funi sent out the C&D's for this show and a bunch of little kids started flailing around and screaming through their hands. Awww, good times...

I haven't watched any of it, but it definitely sounds like its worth checking out. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy it more than Bleach and Death Note Mad .

I love when people whine over things that are technically illegal BEFORE the C&Ds are let loose. I wonder if idiots like that fancy some light reading to enlighten themselves.
Na, they wouldn't like it. Too many big words, and not enough pictures. Besides, they feel safe within blissful ignorance.
skyechan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Ahah, I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before Soul Eater became licensed. Can't wait to see how FUNimation decides to handle everything (voice casting, packaging, etc.). I wonder if when they do get around to releasing it whether they'll do the same sort of idea they did with Ouran; releasing in parts. It'd be great to just collect the series in three buys. (I'm guessing Soul Eater would wind up being three parts at least...The rough guess is 52 episodes total for now, right?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
I wonder if when they do get around to releasing it whether they'll do the same sort of idea they did with Ouran; releasing in parts. It'd be great to just collect the series in three buys. (I'm guessing Soul Eater would wind up being three parts at least...The rough guess is 52 episodes total for now, right?)

In Funimation's press release, they said the series will have 51 episodes total. They intend to release the series in 4 half-seasons sets starting in late 2009.
skyechan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
skyechan wrote:
I wonder if when they do get around to releasing it whether they'll do the same sort of idea they did with Ouran; releasing in parts. It'd be great to just collect the series in three buys. (I'm guessing Soul Eater would wind up being three parts at least...The rough guess is 52 episodes total for now, right?)

In Funimation's press release, they said the series will have 51 episodes total. They intend to release the series in 4 half-seasons sets starting in late 2009.

Ah, thanks for the info. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3