• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Gets Over 10 Million Yen Monthly from YouTube

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastertr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Heh, looks like things are going good for Kadokawa when it comes to their advertising agreement with YouTube. I hope other companies will also see the apparent success of this program and perhaps try to gain similar partnerships with YouTube instead of immediatley going and removing user-submitted content.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I am very impressed and surpirsed by these numbers. Although I wonder how much new content has to be uploaded to sustain it. I suppose since most of the revenue is coming from MAD videos, the turn-around time for new material won't have to be as quick. Since new material from those will come from it's users.

I am curious though, and I tried to find out for myself, but didn't find anything. Is the 50 million revenue pre paying for bandwidth, or post?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Kadokawa will be stable for years to come if make ten million each month.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh Kadokawa, how very clever you are. Why create a whole new infrastructure for delivering media to the masses for a fee when you can simply advertise on an existing medium?
hexenkessel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
i guess i shouldnt be surprised anymore about what 4koma manga gets animated, but the Nyoron comics? even if it is just for youtube, i cant see why LOL.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
Oh Kadokawa, how very clever you are. Why create a whole new infrastructure for delivering media to the masses for a fee when you can simply advertise on an existing medium?
A smart move indeed. Also, people are more likely to view user submitted videos over a company's videos.
Jarm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
This a major breakthrough. So maybe they'll make an english channel next. Wink
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Axe-336 wrote:
A smart move indeed. Also, people are more likely to view user submitted videos over a company's videos.

Very smart and practical. Now Type Moon, 7th Expansion, VisualArt's/Key should hopefully also follow suit.

I hope some of the money bounces back to KyoAni.
jel123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
This does sound like an interesting idea.
Is it only Japanese target advertising or world wide? If it's only Japan then there is a lot more potential.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Looks like Kadokawa will be stable for years to come if make ten million each month.
When they talk about losses at the half year mark in the billions I'd say 10 million a month is just a drop in the bucket. But every little bit helps Wink

The article wrote:
In the three months between September and November of 2007, those videos were seen over 50 million times.
Is this a typo? I don't read Japanese but didn't see any references to 2007 in the original.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
jel123 wrote:

The article wrote:
In the three months between September and November of 2007, those videos were seen over 50 million times.
Is this a typo? I don't read Japanese but didn't see any references to 2007 in the original.

That should probably read as 2008.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Everyones making money,everyones happy! Cool
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kadokawa implemented the inVideoAd system in October that places ads directly in the videos.

Which is the most annoying piece of tech along the lines of pop-up ads and X10.com.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:51 am Reply with quote
Whatever way they can make money I guess really works for them. Not a lot but looks like something they can use to pay whatever taxes they get hit with, heh heh.
math4origami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
If Kadokawa can advertise the benefits of free online video sharing on Youtube, then what about Nico Nico? Is JASRAC still stifling them in a stranglehold?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
So at todays exchange rate that's $107,818, or £71,344. I wouldn't mind that coming in every month, but it's got to be small potatos to a multi-national like Kadokawa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1