• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Carl and Theron's Best of 2008

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I love that Ramen Fighter Miki and the opening for Aria got a nod of recognition. An interesting and fun to read list.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Flag got the love it deserved. GL too, even if it was totally obvious. Moribito sounds pretty promising, definetily have to check that one out.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised at how much I agreed with both writers.

Flag really was amazing, I have Moribito and Gurren Lagann Tivo'd (unwatched as of yet).
I loved Simoun, Black Lagoon, and surprisingly I also liked Kanon for the visuals and key scenes.

I finished watching my Emma Act 2 discs last night, laughed hard at the first death in Dokuro-chan (even though Punie-chan was better overall, Dokuro had a funnier first impression).

Strawberry Panic is my guilty pleasure as well.

But there are two series that I can not stop myself from rewatching with startling frequency: Maria Watches Over Us, and Aria.

For me, the Best Dub would have been Beck, since I did not see it until the box set came out in 2008.

2008 marked the end of my full price singles buying, no more $130 single sets of Shana, Pani Poni Dash, Gunbuster 2, and Le Chevalier D'on

I was also thinking about Zegapain today, and when it might have an anime legends release. Like was stated, easily the most improved series from the lackluster first disc.
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It seemed like action/senien shows kinda stole the spotlight this year. Shows like Curren Laggan,Code Geass,Flag,and Moribito. I was was glad my two favorite movies of the year win.But where is Show of the year love for lucky star? Evil or Very Mad
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Tip for ANN: if you want your reviewers to make a 'best of' overview, you'd best make sure they have actually seen all the relevant anime. Send them the review copies you got for the releases, give them a week off to watch all of them, and only then let them write the best of overview.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Tip for ANN: if you want your reviewers to make a 'best of' overview, you'd best make sure they have actually seen all the relevant anime. Send them the review copies you got for the releases, give them a week off to watch all of them, and only then let them write the best of overview.

Tip for Kimiko_0: Not only is that not possible - I can't devote every single review copy of everything I get to two people for the sake of this one article - this is just something Theron and Carl do for fun at the end of the year and isn't supposed to be some grand perfect ceremony or anything.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
On the "spoiler warning" notice, you guys may want to add "Bastard of the Year" to the warnings, since merely saying spoiler[Aizen's name] from Bleach is a huge spoiler itself. Admittedly, most probably know by now anyway, but just to be safe....
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I thought Flag was really disappointing in my opinion. Sure the visuals were nice and it looked great on a HD TV, but the writing was sluggish and the mecha element was really out of place in a show where it was trying to be hyper-realistic. Not to mention that said mecha was presented as a CGI.

Anyways, I kinda ignored the spoiler warning and read the Claymore one. Bah, at least that was in a flashback arc. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, though of course, my favorite part was the "Squirtle, squirtle" Smile
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I may have to give flag another try. After sitting through the first disc I had no real desire to keep going. It had an interesting feel to it and everyone seems to love it. Should I try again? Or if I didn't like the first disc should I just let it rest?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Not only is that not possible - I can't devote every single review copy of everything I get to two people for the sake of this one article - this is just something Theron and Carl do for fun at the end of the year and isn't supposed to be some grand perfect ceremony or anything.

Ah I see. I misunderstood then. Sorry.

Maybe they could download them off the 'net instead then Razz *is slain by 03.5 for blasphemy* Anime hyper
Hamsterpuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
On the "spoiler warning" notice, you guys may want to add "Bastard of the Year" to the warnings, since merely saying spoiler[Aizen's name] from Bleach is a huge spoiler itself. Admittedly, most probably know by now anyway, but just to be safe....

Seconded. Seconded a million times.
I'm on the second boxset, spoiler[where he's still dead], so that comment actually just spoiled what seems to be a major plot point for me. Yes, I know Bleach is a widely-seen series, but so is Code Geass, so the lack of spoiler warning seems strange to say the least.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Anyways, I kinda ignored the spoiler warning and read the Claymore one. Bah, at least that was in a flashback arc. Razz

Yeah, I couldn't help but read the little spoiler about Claymore. I didn't watch my copy of Vol. #2 yet, but after reading that section of the article I'm more than anxious to continue on with Claymore.

Overall another excellent "Best of" article. Nice job by both Carl and Theron Cool .
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Ah I see. I misunderstood then. Sorry.

Maybe they could download them off the 'net instead then Razz *is slain by 03.5 for blasphemy* Anime hyper

Yeah, that's one of the reasons we don't do a big official super-serious Best of 2008 article that involves the whole staff - if you focus on American releases only, half the people complain that fansubbed titles weren't included and the response is 40 pages of people bitching about the last fansub they saw not being best of the year, and if you include fansubs, you insult the licensors, the industry and the creators by giving them an "award" based on their work which they know you saw pirated. Can't please anyone. So I prefer this casual, lighthearted approach. Makes it easier to deal with.

Quote:

Seconded. Seconded a million times.

I'll add it to the spoiler warning.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
This [marathon] feature allows you to play each disk with every opener after the first, every closer except the last one, and all of the tedious recap bits at the beginning of each episode cut out, which on the six-episode disks can amount to nearly a half-hour reduction in playing time. It is a wonderful option for those who want to just slog through the episodes, and a feature I dearly wish was more widely-used.

I wouldn't mind it if all of the credit sequences were removed from most anime DVDs entirely, save for the opening for the first episode of a disc, and the ending for the last episode. I understand that staff credits differ from episode to episode, but there's no reason that those differences can't be reflected in the subs (hardsubbed English credits or selectable subs). "Next episode" blurbs could be moved to an extras section or stack up on the back (or even just be used between episodes as a mental buffer).

Maybe it's just me, but on a 4-episode disc, it seems like a waste of space/bit rate to have 9 minutes go to what is essentially stock footage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6