• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Plans for Gundam Anime's 30th Anniversary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AExAVF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
I really think that it's about time a revisit to the UC series be given consideration. After all, it's the UC series which started it all.

I started with Wing. Eventually I moved into SEED and later 00. Now I'm going UC with Zeta Gundam the series. Yes, I've gone retro from new to old-school with Gundam, because I could never appreciate Gundam in its entirety without seeing any of the UC series.

I don't mind if someone other than Tomino would direct the 30th Anniversary series, but I'm hoping he'd change his mind. I also wouldn't mind if Shoji Kawamori directs the Gundam 30th. After all, Gundam and Macross came in '79 and '82 respectively.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The compilation movies of 0079 are pretty damn good, unlike the Zeta ones (which is a shame, considering it's one of the best gundam series if no the best). I'm currently watching 00 and Seed and, talking about the former, I can't believe how many people I read criticizing the series for the character designs of some of the elements that they NOW found ridiculous but when watching the UC classics were overlooked...the character designs aren't that bad, and in an extent, are in context with the current artstyle featuring in anime. After all, if ZZ Gundam features character designs really similar to other 80's series, and Gundam Wing does the same with the 90's era, what is wrong with 00 looking like it was made in 2008?

I think that 00 is a pretty good series, in fact so good (I'm not talking about masterpiece cause that word itself is pretentious) that it made me want to watch 0079 and Zeta Gundam. Sure, it's not perfect, but it really is good in terms of entertaining, characters and overall ideas. I'll never understand why the "old school" fans of ANYTHING always hate the shows that follows the classics. I'm not saying "it has Gundam written in it, they have to like it", but c'mon, you can't treat a franchise like it's the damn bible and demand that new stuff keeps on making rendition to the ideas of Tomino (who himself has also made mistakes in series that followed CCA). If I want to watch something like Zeta Gundam, I just re-watch it. It would be boring to get always the exact same story with no new content to add something meaningful to the franchise.

That being said, I wouldn't like a new Gundam show based on the UC timeline during the years 0079 till Victory Gundam, if only because I don't like to see something that is not important to the main storyline and acts mainly as fanservice that doesn't have an impact on the events which we already know. Anyway, I don't know what Unicorn is about, but the mecha designs are really cool.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote
AExAVF wrote:
I also wouldn't mind if Shoji Kawamori directs the Gundam 30th. After all, Gundam and Macross came in '79 and '82 respectively.

Pretty much no chance that would happen, he's too busy working on the Macross Frontier Retelling movie for one. If they are going to give a new director a chance I personally think and hope it would be Taniguchi Goro. IMO no one has done more for Sunrise since the Bones split than Taniguchi with Infinite Ryvuis, Scryed, Plantes and Code Geass.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
[...]I'll never understand why the "old school" fans of ANYTHING always hate the shows that follows the classics. I'm not saying "it has Gundam written in it, they have to like it", but c'mon, you can't treat a franchise like it's the damn bible and demand that new stuff keeps on making rendition to the ideas of Tomino (who himself has also made mistakes in series that followed CCA). [...]

Problem is, IMO, that the very original vision of Tomino on Gundam has been considerably butchered by sponsors and other actors of the industry who were involved in this project: what I said previously concerning the power armors in place of the giant MS is jus one example among others; the original plot didn't present any scene on Earth: these were added in the script at the request of the toy manufacturers in order to make sure the audience understands that MS were giant (i.e. like your standard mecha show of the moment...) which doesn't really make sense if you admit the idea that Gundam talks, among other things, about the dawn of a new Mankind which must find its destiny in the stars instead of remaining confined on a small planet; the Gundam universe in itself is very rich too, mainly because of the influence of the work of Dr. O'Neil although O'Neil's scientistic vision looks a bit naïve when you read his book, The High Frontier, where he presents in details this project of space colonisation: basically, O'Neil thought that colonizing near space would solve all problems of Mankind but Gundam took the opposite theory and presented a story where space colonies were the roots of a new conflict in sending into the trash can all the above-mentioned naïveté. All these aspects, and many more, which look far much more mature than the usual mecha show of this time to me, are not really present in the final product and I think this didn't serve it. And I don't even talk about the various fights among the Sunrise staff itself...

Gundam could have been one of the best science fiction shows ever, in the tradition of classic authors like Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov or Arthur Clarke, and particularly with its vision of an evolved Mankind clearly inspired by 2001, a Space Odyssey, another classic of the genre, even if the newtype concept slightly reflects some hotchpotch of well recognizable post New Age esoteric thesis but let's say it was in the mood of the time (on this point, Seed considerably modernized the concept of this sort of übermensch in using genetic engineering, but it's more a detail than anything else even if not trivial...): instead of this, we got a more evolved mecha show than the usual but still some sort of not well finished bastard

The success of 00, and of other productions, clearly shows that the audience is ready for more sophisticated things, and Gundam is definitely among the most suited franchises capable to bring something new because of its huge success since three decades: it would be a pity to not use it at its full potential, particularly when you know that the Sunrise staf is made of very competent people...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gundam Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have any ideas of what Sunrise plans for the Anniversary and can back up those ideas with some facts.

Personally I think that Unicorn might be animated. I think this because there are some animated videos for the Unicorn novels that seem to be promoting the series. With this in mind and the anniversary coming up I don't think that seeing Unicorn animated is a far reach. I'm not saying that this is a fact but I think of what we have seen so far it's got a good chance.

I really just hope they don't make a Gundam 00 Final Plus or something. I mean I like the series but give me something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4