• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Site Simulcasts Shugo Chara!! Doki— Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
So now, anime fans in North America can officially watch the original Galaxy Express 999 and Space Pirate Captain Harlock legally for the first time.

While Toei really needs to improve their subbing practices (like subbing the songs), I strongly suggest everyone watch both of these shows. This was Leiji Matsumoto in his prime!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
i really wish they'd stop supporting crunchyroll..it was a good idea but their subscription fees are ridiculous. the free versions with advertisements should at least be 420i because of the ads..but no, u only get 420 for paying (also 720 so wtf is the point) scam site
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
No, both 999 and Harlock were shown on UHF channels back when they were airing in Japan. You had to live in the San Francisco or New York area to see it though. I was one of the lucky ones who did.

Anyways, it's great to see them on Crunchyroll! I didn't know about Harlock! I have to add that to my list...
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can the Yamato stuff one day, too.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I hope there's more classic stuff like this in the future.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
So I finally thought I might get a chance to watch 999, even if it was in Crunchyroll's abysmal video quality.

And this is why fansubs exist.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I like what Crunchy is doing but I hope they fix the bugs soon cause I tried to watch Shugo Chara in 720p but it kept on giving me Video Connection is Closed so I had to watch it in regular h264 Crying or Very sad. As for 999 and Harlock I'll watch them tomorrow....
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Oh Wow! These are two that I might actually set aside time for. All hope was pretty much lost for me.

So since I really don't know, will all of these episodes be released and archived? Or will they follow a schedule and once you miss it you won't be able to watch it again?

Although I was happy to hear CR going legit, this is news that might actually make me visit their site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
i really wish they'd stop supporting crunchyroll..it was a good idea but their subscription fees are ridiculous. the free versions with advertisements should at least be 420i because of the ads..but no, u only get 420 for paying (also 720 so wtf is the point) scam site
You do realize that Toei charges $2 for these on Direct2Drive and that would be the only legal way of getting them without Crunchyroll which costs... well... nothing for these.

And if you are referring to Shugo Chara, there is no reason you should get a better quality copy for an ad that nets them a fraction of a fraction of a cent.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
You do realize that Toei charges $2 for these on Direct2Drive and that would be the only legal way of getting them without Crunchyroll which costs... well... nothing for these.

And if you are referring to Shugo Chara, there is no reason you should get a better quality copy for an ad that nets them a fraction of a fraction of a cent.

Slam Dunk at Direct2Drive is the same amount as that of Crunchyroll. The quality of DTO is the same for both of them. Crunchyroll has a better deal because it includes the iPod, PSP, and PC whereas D2D is only for the PC.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 am; edited 4 times in total
vincent iii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Interesting that Captain Harlock is added a week or two after the fansub was finally completed of it. Hopefully they will release the rest of the Harlock series as well on Crunchyroll
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
So I finally thought I might get a chance to watch 999, even if it was in Crunchyroll's abysmal video quality.

And this is why fansubs exist.
I was going to do somethign cleaver, what with 999 and harlock having next to no licencing issues (and about that much presence for that matter too) that could possibly cause this. But in the end of the day, that .png file sums everything up.

Frustrating, utterly, utterly, frustrating. Who knew Legality was such a pain in the arse?

Well, MORESO a pain in the arse than mearly giving money over.
bci110

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
I like what Crunchy is doing but I hope they fix the bugs soon cause I tried to watch Shugo Chara in 720p but it kept on giving me Video Connection is Closed so I had to watch it in regular h264 Crying or Very sad. As for 999 and Harlock I'll watch them tomorrow....

Yeah, I had the same issue. But I was able to watch the episode in 420p without any major hassels (pretty entertaining episode too).

Dragonxtc wrote:
So since I really don't know, will all of these episodes be released and archived? Or will they follow a schedule and once you miss it you won't be able to watch it again?

In the case of Shugo Chara, yes they are archiving the episodes. Episode 65 though was the first episode of the series that CR showed under the distro deal with TV Tokyo, but they are archiving the previous episodes of the series. Last I checked they archieved up to Episode 39. I would say that it will take them at least a couple more weeks until they have all of the Shugo Chara episodes available.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:

I'd be grateful if the ANN article could be updated to mention these restrictions. I'm not familiar with the goings-on at CR, so in its current form this article got my hopes up needlessly.
This quote in particular irks me somewhat:
Quote:
“We are extremely pleased to be continuing our strong partnership with Toei Animation,” states Mr. Kun Gao Crunchyroll CEO, “working with Toei Animation allows us to continue bringing great new and classic anime titles to a global audience, curbing piracy and becoming a catalyst to stimulate industry growth.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
In the case of the Toei anime streamed on crunchyroll, everything is region locked to the US and Canada.

This has to do with Toei's corporate structure. The people who Crunchyroll licensed the streams from was Toei's US corporate brance, Toei Anim. Inc. which is based in Los Angeles and is a sub-company of Toei Animation.

The way Toei is structures, Toei Inc. LA only has "jurisdiction" over the US and Canada, and it acts basically like any other R1 licensor. That means that Toei Inc. CANNOT make deals having to do with anything outside of the US or Canada...

So Crunchyroll has a bit of a catch 22: If they deal with Toei Inc LA, they have to region lock everything to the US and Canada. But if they approach Toei Japan, they get told "go talk to Toei Inc. LA since you're based in california, we don't license stuff directly ourselves".

The only way crunchyroll would be able to expand the regions it can stream in is if it made separate deals with Toei Animation Paris (which covers Europe and north africa, I thnk), and Toei Shanghai which covers china and most of asia... I also think Toei's phillipeans studio handles some parts as well. I.e. it would be an insane mess. Furthermore, the subtitles themselves are owned by Toei Inc. LA, so unless they agreed to share their subtitles with the other Toei brances and there was also some profit sharing agreement, each one would have its own subs or something insane like that.

Yes, Toei is just THAT horrid to deal with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7