• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Crunchyroll Announces More Toei Animation Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
"Since its founding in 1956, Toei Animation has produced more than 9,000 episodes of TV series (189 titles) and 172 long feature films as of March, 2007".
What does that mean? Dragon Ball Z meme of "It's over 9000" is supported by the animation company in a sense.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
curbing piracy and becoming a catalyst to stimulate industry growth

The problem with this is that these older shows won't be getting licensed, they're just too old to be in favor with today's usual anime-fan. Not to mention that they're long and extremely popular in Japan, so they probably still have a rather large licensing fee.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
curbing piracy and becoming a catalyst to stimulate industry growth

The problem with this is that these older shows won't be getting licensed, they're just too old to be in favor with today's usual anime-fan. Not to mention that they're long and extremely popular in Japan, so they probably still have a rather large licensing fee.

At least we're getting something.
centzontotochtin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news for Americans and Canadians, and it's good to see these shows getting a wider audience; however it's a real downer that the episodes aren't available for the UK (and presumably other european countries). The group that were fansubbing Galaxy Express 999 have done the decent thing and dropped the series on hearing this news (they'd finished Harlock literally last week); unfortunately this means I will probably not get to see past Episode 33 for years, unless someone pirates these episodes and I feel like breaking the law.. Which kinda defeats the object of the great collaboration to start with..

A smart move for Toei would be to put English subtitles as an option on their DVDs in Japan, like Ghibli do with most of their films.
DogDuck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
centzontotochtin wrote:

A smart move for Toei would be to put English subtitles as an option on their DVDs in Japan, like Ghibli do with most of their films.

Considering the people who buy Japanese DVDs, and their costs, it would only really benefit a small amount of people.

The entire situation is a bit sad but at least we are getting something. Well, you guys are.

I'm sure some kind of proxy service can be worked out if you're in a foreign country. Though the legality of it would be questionable.

But I never told you to do that, did I?
centzontotochtin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
no, I hear you not telling me. Very Happy doubt I could work out how without being banned though, especially with a mac..

just wishful thinking over the subtitles Smile The odd nice person in Japan does it, just for the geeks who will then pay twice as much to import the DVD, like with Mind Game.. And for Leiji Matsumoto shows, which seem to have a pretty obsessive (if small) fanbase, they just might make back the money, considering they've already paid to translate them.

Most of the comments on Crunchyroll for the episodes last night were along the same lines. "moans about not being available with varying degrees of coherence".. "damn you Toei!" .. "..looks for proxy" etc.
With just a few people going "this is really old" and "this is great" and "wow a little cartoony-looking kid just shot loads of people in the name of revenge, with no moralising afterwards"..

I'm just relieved that I got to find out how Harlock ended Smile
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
centzontotochtin wrote:
no, I hear you not telling me. Very Happy doubt I could work out how without being banned though, especially with a mac..

just wishful thinking over the subtitles Smile The odd nice person in Japan does it, just for the geeks who will then pay twice as much to import the DVD, like with Mind Game.. And for Leiji Matsumoto shows, which seem to have a pretty obsessive (if small) fanbase, they just might make back the money, considering they've already paid to translate them.

Most of the comments on Crunchyroll for the episodes last night were along the same lines. "moans about not being available with varying degrees of coherence".. "damn you Toei!" .. "..looks for proxy" etc.
With just a few people going "this is really old" and "this is great" and "wow a little cartoony-looking kid just shot loads of people in the name of revenge, with no moralising afterwards"..

I'm just relieved that I got to find out how Harlock ended Smile

Can't expect nothing but the best here (comments aside).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Just think, they might even pull the uncut Sailor Moons off their dark and dusty shelf and put them on.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
centzontotochtin wrote:

I'm surprised with that. Ghibli DVDs are the most ubiquitious anime availible, at least where I live. There's no need to entice those who wish to own the films to buy imported.
If ever I end up owning any Galaxy Express material though, it's most likely that it'll only be with the aid of external .stl files that I'll be able to watch any of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1