• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Protests Call for Hetalia Anime's Cancellation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
Screw them. The koreans that are protesting, I mean. I want my anime.
shezni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quote
Since it's so close to the premiere, I doubt this protest will succeed. The most it will probably do is prevent a second season. And unless other nations start protesting, I doubt the anime or the manga is in that much trouble. I understand why they would be upset, though. Both world wars were very tense and painful areas in history, and not everyone will be happy about a humorous parody of those times.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
"We demand that this show be taken off the air! It contains a character which is insulting to Korea."

"No, no! The anime doesn't have the insulting Korean character! It just has insulting characters for lots of other countries!"

"Well, okay then."

Very classy of you, Korea.

------RM
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
So THATS what that was all about. I'd heard an extremely perverted version of this rumor yesterday. In this gal's version it was the Korean animators who were protesting. I thought that made little sense since the show's a week away from its premiere and animation should have been LONG done by now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
halo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
I doubt it's because there was a Korean character in the manga that they didn't like but more the war crimes commited by the Japanese during the 35 years of occupation prior to the defeat of Japan by the USA in WWII. Just maybe...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
If you were going to be faithful to the World Wars in a historical sense, you'd be insulting about half the nations represented in the series.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Dear Korea, please get over yourselves. Hetalia is potentially insulting to EVERYONE. It's supposed to be fun, and if you're capable of taking a joke, then it IS fun. America in Hetalia is portrayed as a hamburger-obsessed, idealistic dork that hardly anyone genuinely likes. And I laugh at Alfred F. Jones plenty. He's hilarious, and frequently accurate. And I am American.

If this Korean protest works, I will be furious. I really hope it's ignored...but after that stuff with JoJo's from the Muslims, I must admit I'm worried.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
I doubt it's because there was a Korean character in the manga that they didn't like but more the war crimes commited by the Japanese during the 35 years of occupation prior to the defeat of Japan by the USA in WWII. Just maybe...

Maybe the Koreans should have thought twice before assassinating the first prime minister of Japan.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Dear Korea, please get over yourselves. Hetalia is potentially insulting to EVERYONE. It's supposed to be fun, and if you're capable of taking a joke, then it IS fun. America in Hetalia is portrayed as a hamburger-obsessed, idealistic dork that hardly anyone genuinely likes. And I laugh at Alfred F. Jones plenty. He's hilarious, and frequently accurate. And I am American.

If this Korean protest works, I will be furious. I really hope it's ignored...but after that stuff with JoJo's from the Muslims, I must admit I'm worried.

This may be so, but for some of us who don't like it, it's hard to turn WWII events into something fun and cutesy when, I dunno, there was a lot of serious crap going down then. It's hard to separate the real the historical events leading up to and that were during WWII to take it lightly. Of course, this must be because myself and others can't take a joke.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Dude, Korea in Hetalia is AWESOME. How can you not see that?!

America is possibly the most embarrassing and insulting stereotype, with China a close second. I'm Chinese-American. I LOVE these two characters.

On the other hand, Japan doesn't have anything really insulting about him at all, but he happens to be possibly the most boring and uninteresting character.

Koreaaaa whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

This may be so, but for some of us who don't like it, it's hard to turn WWII events into something fun and cutesy when, I dunno, there was a lot of serious crap going down then. It's hard to separate the real the historical events leading up to and that were during WWII to take it lightly. Of course, this must be because myself and others can't take a joke.

...Have you even read Hetalia? It's not like WWII is the only historical topic discussed in the series. Also, Hetalia may poke fun at things, but it doesn't poke fun at ANY of the war atrocities as far as I've seen, but rather stupid decisions made by the different countries. Not to mention, it's not like all Hetalia does is joke around. It makes the events associated with APH just that much more meaningful, because you can really get attached to the characters.

Also, what I really admire about Hetalia is that it doesn't completely glorify OR villainize any one side for any of the wars that take place. It doesn't try to say that Germany is some kind of monster due to what happened (which the country isn't. Hitler, yes, but Germany? No. And Hetalia Germany is not the same thing as Hitler), and it doesn't try to make America out to be cruel and evil to Japanese people, either (actually, APH Japan and America get along pretty well in later events). Even from things looked at entirely from one country's POV, like the Polish-Swedish wars, Poland was not treated as a bad person; just someone Sweden was currently at odds with.

Ugh, I say this enough on Fandom Secrets.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

America is possibly the most embarrassing and insulting stereotype

Somehow, I suspect the Sakura Taisen guy's involvement... Wink

(J/K, by the way. Whoever gets the joke gets a cookie)
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

America is possibly the most embarrassing and insulting stereotype, with China a close second. I'm Chinese-American. I LOVE these two characters.

On the other hand, Japan doesn't have anything really insulting about him at all, but he happens to be possibly the most boring and uninteresting character.

Koreaaaa whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Japan is an anime fanboy xD. He's also obsessed with the Emperor and such, if you'll recall the chapter in which the trio is captured, Italy is surrendering, Germany is attempting to dig out, and Japan is wailing about how he fail'd the Emperor and how he's going to commit seppuku.

And actually, I think possibly his boring-ness is there intentionally, too.
mulrich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
What a bunch of pussies.

It reminds me of that article by a Japanese-American game reviewer who whined about the depiction of the Japanese soldiers in the World War II first-person shooter "Call of Duty - World at War". He achieved nothing, except making himself appear like a pussy. I'm of German heritage. Should I bitch and whine about the depiction of German soldiers?
halo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
halo wrote:

Maybe the Koreans should have thought twice before assassinating the first prime minister of Japan.

Yeah, those people in the labor camps and the women forced into prostitution deserved it, and so did the Chinese, etc.

Anyway, the manga/anime itself may be pretty benign but the Kids Station response illustrates why many Asians still resent the Japanese for trying to totally ignore and cover-up what happened, which is the point I was trying to make.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10