• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Tests kadoTV Video Service with Subtitles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
Cool, though it won't get a lot of traction for shows that have already been subtitled.

-Tofu
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote
Yay! I liked this, good job Kadokawa!

I gave Kaze no Stigma a go but I only watched a few minutes in.
My only small gripes are a lack of subs for the songs, the subs themselves and some quality issues. Seeing as how people can change them the subs shouldn't be a problem for too long. Otherwise, this is a great thing in my book.

They'll have to pump up their times between airing and uploading the the website; but otherwise its a good job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice the random use of capital letters and punctuation? It reads like an AIM chat lol

-Tofu
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Did yours kept slowing down every few seconds Tofu? Mine kept pausing even though it had a minute or two already loaded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
The subs are a bit too low...
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Remember to take the survey if you visit there so they have some feedback about the site.

I thought the subtitles were nicely done for the text itself.

The videos seem to be served from YouTube, so the quality of the video is really super low.

The full screen video is not full screen.

The subtitles are far too small in size.

Other than that, its great to see yet another official website for anime distribution!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
I made some subtitles for the Hakaba Kitaro Opening in English to test out their subtitle creation system.

Primitive, but functional. I could imagine doing a full episode would take a LONG time, though.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
I really wish there was some way to edit subs completely and create komedy fan-generated content.

Imagine Gendo and Shinji in the first episode bickering about baseball scores and why the Browns will take this year's World Series.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
After making sure the flag is in English up top of page and going through the Anime list back to Bravo! Girls, I got the player to work. The tiny text letters for subs require you to sit like 1 1/2 foot from monitor (have a 22 inch ws lcd). Bascially I think they are showing only the TV aired versions because thats not what I remembered on the DvD set I rented from Netflix. It had lots of fog and entire scenes were missing.

It is still really a good idea to bring interest to shows people haven't seen. There are a lot of really good shows made between 2002-2005 that we would never get to see other wise since they weren't grabbed up by a USA company.

It will be interesting to see how many site hits they got on the official shows as well for the English viewers.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
While any experimentation in distribution is welcome, I would never watch anime at this quality. Girls Bravo was worse than YouTube normal quality, and H2O, a widescreen release, was shown in full screen with video just as bad. The one H2O episode that appeared it might play in native resolution had been removed, though the link was still there. They aren't nearly there yet... not even close.

I didn't see a survey, but then most of the site is still in Japanese regardless of my clicking on English (e.g., the Help section).
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't know about the others but the first ep for Kaze no Stigma played perfectly fine for me. Much as I prefer to watch anime in English, the subs were fairly easy to follow. They're small but I don't think they're too hard to read if you're focused.

If the site is supposed to have an English version, I'd like to see it because it's pretty much all in Japanese.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh awesome Kadokawa, this is cool new
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched part of Kaze no Stigma. Their translator could use a good proofreader with some knowledge of English grammar. I can't judge the quality of the translation, but the quality of the English left much to be desired.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sold on streaming, preferring a permanent digital copy or at least not having to worry about how long the stream will be available. But I still hope this experiment works out for Kado, especially given that they are providing subtitles and if they can improve the quality, and especially especially if that leads to more simultaneous releases with English subtitles or even R2 DVDs with subtitles (or at least the availability of timed scripts).

Now, it does bother me some that the "English" link at the top is beside an American flag, that they've pluralised anime in the top menu and that the EULA was in Japanese only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Non-scaling offset subtitles? Video quality as abysmal as youtube? Not looking good.
And it doesn't even have Nicovideo's charm of user-created text overlays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2