• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese am/pm Convenience Store Tests Manga Rentals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
This is a rather unique way to aid in an industry that is struggling like our own economy.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Thankfully Costa Mesa, California is one of those North American cities that has a manga cafe.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
i dont think there is anything like this in my part of California for manga renting
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
Hey, their Kwik-E-Marts have done stuff like video game presells before, so why not?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
i don't think there is anything like this in my part of California for manga renting

I could rent manga at Rowland Heights when I lived in southern CA, and if I remember correctly there was a bigger rental at Hacienda Heights (didn't bother to drive five more miles just for manga). However, those were imported from Taiwan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
£1 a day huh....by a week you've already made back the cost of a UK release...
Proz512

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
With those Redbox or equivalent type self-contained DVD rental boxes everywhere around the US now, I would rent from them if they had manga in them. I hate grazing for free at bookstores but found buying them for $10 a waste since I can spit through them in under an hour.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I am currious about the system of stopping people from keeping the manga instead of returning it. How do the stores prevent people from keeping the manga?

If the series is licensed, I'll probably read a couple chapters at a book store. If I really like the series, I'll buy and continue to purchase the series.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
How do the stores prevent people from keeping the manga?

A deposit that costs more than a new book. Returns to you when you return the book. Either that or you have to sign up and pre-pay a large amount of deposit/rental fee so you don't have to pay each time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mastertr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
There are also services that take your credit card information upfront and do not charge you for whatever you are renting until you return it, so if you had it out for x amount of days that is the amount you are charged upon return. There is also a format similar to this that uses credit card but instead of charging upon return, it makes a charge every day...less common though because of the money that goes into making the authorizations and such. As for preventing theft with the charge-on-return, a lot of places stop at the price of the book, or will charge you the price of the book if not returned after say 120 days or so, depending on their terms of service and such.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
It'd be cool for the latest/greatest... but I just go to the library system, and a lot of stuff I like is there, if maybe a year behind. I just go through them too fast to justify the $10 a shot buying them... get a good rapport with your local library, and you'd be surprised at what they will get for you.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am currious about the system of stopping people from keeping the manga instead of returning it. How do the stores prevent people from keeping the manga?
Late Fees, asking for the book to be re-embersed and then geting the Bailiffs out?
Guspaz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about other places, but where I live, we have these great things called "libraries" where you can read as many books as you want... for FREE!

Why, the lending library of the local anime club alone has roughly 1100 manga available to borrow.
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
How plasuable is Managa/Magzine on cd/DVD?

A CD/DVD or mini CD/DVD is only a few cents on the dollar to burn it off would take much so license shops could push them out with X profit going to the rights owner, hell with the proper registry software the sales/rentals can be automatically noted by the publisher.

And this would play on normal DVD players BTW

I think the over head would be paid off rather quick, and over qaulity is not as good as quality scans so they would be less likely used for illicit distribution and there are cheap DVD copy protection systems that could be used but frankly anything that gets in the way of the profit that can be made vrs profit begin hurt by forced or over protected sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Guspaz wrote:
I don't know about other places

There you are. You are lucky with such a library with lots of manga, but not everyone is as lucky as you are.

Guspaz wrote:
Why, the lending library of the local anime club alone has roughly 1100 manga available to borrow.

1100 titles or volumes? If it's the latter then it's nothing to brag about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2