• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sharing anime with your family?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wren87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever shown anime to your parents or close family members? And if you haven't, do you think you'll ever try to give them a taste of at least one anime show?

My parents are a little more easy-going when it comes to trying out different things, especially when it comes to what they watch on television. For instance, they can watch the Disney channel without feeling "old", and they can put on an old cartoon show without feeling "embarrassed" about it. Unfortunately anime is one of those things that seems to be far from their reach.

I've never shown them anime, except that whenever I observe them channel surf and stumble upon an anime on Cartoon Network, they seem to immediately change the channel. Which is why I don't think me sharing anime with them will be an easy task (although showing them a Miyazaki movie would be far less difficult).
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I've tried many times to get my family to watch anime. It has always failed. The closets I've ever gotten them to watching anime is when I get anime movies from netfilx. I recently got Tokyo Godfathers from netflix and I almost got them to watch it with me. I was so close. I told them that it was a good Christmas time movie and they started to agree to watch it and then they relived that it was and anime (or as my parents often call it "ani-mi" or my favorite "some Japanese show"). Apparently my mom has tried to watch anime a few times on sci-fi but never saw one that she liked. But I still try to get them to watch just one anime that they might enjoy. I have a feeling that if they see one that they like, then they'll be more open minded to me getting anime. I've tried to ask for anime DVDs as a gift for Christmas or Birday many times, and they never even bother.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
motaku96

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
My little sister watches anime with me most of the time. Of course I'm careful not to show her anything rated R. That's pretty tough though unless I've already seen the anime. And I can't always trust the ratings on the box cause anime that says 13 up includes nudity sometimes. For the most part, she's almost as crazy about anime as I am.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
My older sister liked Chobits alot. It was probably the cuteness that got her. She also liked Kiki's delivery service.

My other sis used to like anime but slowly stopped liking it as much. Same with my brother. He did like a few episodes of Elfen Lied not too long ago..

Now its just me mostly.
hughvh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
I've turned my family on to Anime.

My wife started with Princess Mononoke. I tricked her on date saying we were seeing an foreign film at the theater. She now enjoys love and comedy based anime.

My nine year old daughter likes it. She loves Azumanga Daioh and some Gundam SEED and Macross. (She like the love triangles.) I can't wait to share Cowboy BeBop with her.

I think the trick is to find anime based on what they like. My wife hates SciFi, so of course she won't like Blue Seed.
LatwPIAT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
I gave my sister Howl's Moving Castle for Christmas. That's a close as it gets. I know my tastes are different from them, so I don't go force my enjoyment upon them.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
My mom really loves Miyazaki films, she had to GET me to watch Spirited Away. Like, force. xD And my sister's sharing of one of her favorites with me jumpstarted my love of anime goodness Smile Though I don't tend to share what I like with my family, because I have different interests than they do, etc.
foxnewsnetwork

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I tried to asked a family member (my dad) if he wanted to watch this one anime (No Money) with me. I got disowned before the first episode was even over...

Actually that never happened, but the possibility of such a travesty keeps me from sharing my anime with family members.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Though my father isn't a anime fan at all, we did go to Anizona 2004 together. We also watched the final episode of Full Metal Alchemist together as well. Usually the only shows we watch together are 24 and Survivor.
anime advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Most of my family does not really like anime at all. My brother on the other hand is deferent. I watch all kinds of anime with my brother. Such as Bleach, Rosario+Vampire, and Street Fighter Alpha. Its really cool because my brother is not afraid to go violent either. We have seen violent animes like Higurashi, Elfen Lied, and Death Note together as well. So its really nice to have some one in the family that not only likes anime, but respects and cares for it as well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Shared Lucky Star with my sister and now she's hooked on that particular anime due to its awesomeness. She's at the point now where she even wants to go to Anime Expo this year. That is the last thing I would have expected from her since before Lucky Star she was calling me a freak and having too much time on my hands. My, how things can change with one anime series.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
Getting my parents to watch anime is a lost cause, so I'm just focusing on getting my cousins to like anime even more. These days it's not so hard to find anime on local TV, so my two cousins (one 5 year old and one 9 year old) are already exposed to titles such as Code Geass, Shakugan no Shana, Azumanga Daioh, Fushigi Yuugi, etc. My 9 year old cousin was even able to watch Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei through another relative, which I thought was so wrong because she's too young for series like that (what's even more wrong is that when Code Geass was still airing here, the scene when spoiler[Viletta was nude] wasn't censored Anime hyper). That's why whenever they come over, I make them watch more kid-friendly anime, like Ghibli movies or maybe Mahou Shoujo series. Sadly, they were both bored by what I've shown them so far (Card Captor Sakura and Kiki's Delivery Service) and they still prefer more mature shows, but I can't give up because I don't want them watching ecchi or something like it in the near future Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
How are they going to like anime more when you don't show them what interests them? Laughing

My dad says he doesn't mind going with me to the ocasional anime film that comes out theatrically arround here. He also watched and liked Ergo Proxy and RahXephon with me but I wouldn't call him a fan. He never rewatches any of it or seems to have any interest in the medium by asking me if we can watch anything. (Which he could because I own quite the selection.)
stabby2486

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I've gotten my dad to watch Air and Death Note, but he seems like the type of parent who'll watch anything with his children to make them happy, although he did seem genuinely touched by Air. My mother seems to really enjoy Death Note's cat and mouse game and found The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya very amusing although she prefers to do other things like chat away on IMs, I could only get her to watch those shows when she was done with that.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
A few years back there was a Ghibli event that ran on TMC. It was a month long program and cajoled my mother into watching thee movies with me.

My upbringing was fairly strict and picking something to introduce the anime concept in a favorable light was extremely difficult. Even Pokemon wasn't safe in my household, but Ghibli was put out by Disney and I thought that might induce a more favorable mindset.

It was a success too. She ended up really liking the movies - particularly Castle in the Sky. But, even with that success I'm hard pressed to find anything else that acceptable - too much violence, magic, cursing...

I've never really tried to introduce anime to my father. If I had to pick something to introduce him with it would probably be Gundam or some other science fiction show. He does love his scifi. :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8