• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-01-16]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Jewel of my collection?

2015: The Last Year of Ryoji Kaji

Mine is a limited edition, one of 2,015 copies :) I didn't manage to dig it out and take pics for this column though -_-;;; Time got away from me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Seriously, I've always pictured Brian to have a beard. If I had the time, I'd enter the contest, but my job keeps me very busy.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
I thought you were much younger than what you showed in your picture, Zac. Laughing
se37

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Darn it, if I didn't get sick I would have shown off some of my hidden rare Dojinshi I got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
I thought you were much younger than what you showed in your picture, Zac. Laughing

He he, thats Brian!

The current banner with the hand written pen method in black and white actually looks pretty good in its self!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
I really ought to take a picture of my signed Cowboy Bebop movie poster that's hanging on my wall. Shinichiro Watanabe, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Yoko Kanno signed it. I got it way back in 2002 at the Big Apple Anime Fest. Undoubtably the jewel in my collection.

Though I wasn't a fan of the Fullmetal Alchemist dub, I was more than glad to get Monica Rial's autograph on a FMA poster at Otakon one year. I'm a huge fan of hers. I haven't framed it like the CB poster, though. I put it away somewhere.

I see that the person displaying their Tenchi DVDs has the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVA vol 3 that I can't find. Gimme!

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I really ought to take a picture of my signed Cowboy Bebop movie poster that's hanging on my wall. Shinichiro Watanabe, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Yoko Kanno signed it. I got it way back in 2002 at the Big Apple Anime Fest. Undoubtably the jewel in my collection.

Now THAT is cool~ *w*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Descent123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Highlander movie sucks? Hell no, it was actually pretty good. Confused

But on Lensman, yeah it was pretty lame.

I got both Tenchi Muyo OVA boxsets on Laserdisc. Very Happy
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
How the hell can New Answerman possibly hate Highlander? Search for Vengeance was made of awesome and win x 9,001. On the other hand, I've never seen Lensman, so I can't say anything about it, but then again, if I haven't seen it, it's new to me.

Jewels of my anime collection? It's too hard to say, since I pretty much like everything that I've bought. (Except for Geisters vol. 1, which was pretty lukewarm at best.) But if I have to pick one, I'd say the Cyber City Oedo 808 box set. (Dug it up at a comic book shop that also has some unsold VHS tapes of DBZ, Slayers, Maison Ikkoku, and some other shows; shit was SO cash.) To be brief, they just don't make anime like that anymore.

The banner: Whoever wins that contest, they should ideally call him New Answerman, with Zac being renamed Answerman Classic.

Next week's Answerfans: I'm split among Cowboy Bebop, Perfect Blue, Akira, Paprika, Crying Freeman, 5 Centimeters Per Second, and Steamboy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, there's lots. You overlooked the wonderful and obvious Gankutsuou, and the mostly-OK Romeo X Juliet.

Since when are Le Comte de Monte Cristo or Romeo and Juliet American, and, in the latter case, a novel?

(Also, for what it's worth, I wouldn't just Gankutsuou as wonderful with RxJ's "mostly-OK." Gankutsuou is far inferior to the original; Romeo x Juliet is arguably nearly an improvement simply because the original is so classically trite (although that's quite understandable). Anime smile)
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
If "Cowboy Bebop" isn't mentioned in next week's Answerfans section in some shape or form you know that the column has been rigged. Brian. I'm looking at you my man. Wink There's just no way that there won't be a flood of emails with "Cowboy Bebop" being used as an introduction to anime. To many of us current otaku have lived the experience! Very Happy You just know that it'll be one of the more popular answers. Mark my words.

As for the banner contest: It'd be cool if someone would make a caricature of Brain so he'd fit in with the gang from Nina's comic.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
I don't think English voice acting is that bad. Seriously, with the time they have and the translations they must make, ADR directors and voice actors do a very decent job. Brian, are you a fan who generally prefers subs?

Anywho, the Jewel of my "collection" is my kimono. Definately my kimono. I bought it at Otakon 2008, and I was really psyched about it. I never splurge on anything, and here I was, buying a vintage, silk kimono from the 1930's or 40's (I've yet to have its actual age verified, though), complete with an obi, socks, sandals, and even the parasol to go with it. I only wore it at the Con, and yet I'm still proud of its presence in my closet.

Other than that, my collection is pretty sparse; but I love my autographed Tohru Honda stationary by the multitalented Laura Baily (come on, she played Tohru from Fruits Basket, Lust from FMA, and Shin from Shin-Chan, who says American voice actors lack talent?!) and my "Twelve Kingdoms, Vol. 1" DVD, which I snagged for $5 at a local game shop.

I'm very curious about the Answerfans question. What works?! I got one girl interested in Ranma, and another friend of mine enjoyed "With the Light," though she's a Special Ed teacher and WTL is a manga about an autistic kid. Otherwise, I've never had much success convincing anyone who doesn't like anime or manga to try it out.

Oh, and Cowboy Bebop didn't work on me. I wasn't hooked on anime until I was convinced to watch Full Metal Alchemist, myself. Wink

Last edited by Agent355 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
A couple of people here who actually liked the Highlander anime movie? I'm shocked. Not because I hated it myself, though. I didn't exactly love it, but I saw it on Sci-Fi thought it was at least ok, and a step up from a lot of stuff Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday had been showing at the time. (Though considering they showed things like Virus Buster Serge, admitedly that's not saying much.)

But anytime I've ever seen another person mention it, it's been with nothing but hatred and revulsion. I realize I may be less critical than some people, but honestly, I've been wondering if I somehow missed something here, because I don't understand why it is so utterly despised by people.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
<i>Aside from Mutineer's Moon, the old Spiderman and HULK manga, and the Batman OAVs, is there any other anime/manga based off American novels or comic books?</i>

A really fun one, and worth the time tracking down, is the 6-episode OVA adaptation of Robert Heinlein's <i>Starship Troopers</i> novel. Which actually sticks *far* closer to the original story than the U.S. movie ever did, and apparently, is held in really high regard by Heinlein fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ooh, or the completely retarded two-episode OAV series promoting a line of Japan-only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Toys: Legend of the Supermutants!

Metal Mutants and Super Mutants were released in America as well. I saw them at Kay Bee many moons ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6