• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seitokai no Ichizon Light Novels' TV Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This series = win. I'm definitely watching this. I love the novel drawings...probably because I loved the H2O drawings though, but who cares.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:
I guess our "wine and cheese" get about as old as these creativity-void series Japan keeps pumping out. The sad thing is that these shows are successful, otherwise Japan would have moved on years ago. I especially hate it when I see productions that actually try to be creative and do something that's actually different and that's not just an afterthought get bashed to hell by so many anime fans, yet tripe like this gets thousands of fansub downloads and multiple fansub groups subbing it. It's hard to move on as an anime fan without saying something when 90% of anime tends to be productions such as these. I understand full and well that I don't have to watch them, but it is slightly annoying to know that so many resources are going into shows like this when they could be going into something more worthwhile. Unfortunately stuff like this is making lots of money, and of course that's the only thing any business cares about. Moe moe moe. Harem harem harem. Romcom romcom romcom. *yawn*

This. Exactly, this. I mean, I love a good moe/harem/rocom just fine, but then there's...ugh. Like I said, this might be good, but the H2O art sure isn't starting off on the right foot. Most generic. Art. Ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Honestly, I doubt I'm going to watch this show, but all the grumbling about how it's a waste and how it's unoriginal is one of my pet peeves. If it's unsuccessful, it's going to go away. If it's successful and you don't like it, just shrug and don't give it a second thought.

I don't rush into the announcement topic for every beefcake action series that comes along, even though I've got as little interest for those as some of you seem to for this.

There's this thing called "opportunity cost". If someone does X, they can't simultaneously do Y, and if I prefer Y to X, or even if I'm just entirely bored with X and all it stands for, their chosing to do X in preference to Y affects me adversely.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeez, and I bet none of you have even read the novels, let alone seen the yet-to-even-be-aired anime before passing judgement on it. All you're going on is a single summary and cover art (hang on... book covers... judging... I think there's a rather common saying about this...), which I for one took to mean 'detached narrator slice-of-life' rather than 'harem comedy'.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Which is why I'm saying it could possibly be promising and not entirely writing it off. I will, however, say the art is off putting to hell and back, regardless of how good the book is. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Honestly, I doubt I'm going to watch this show, but all the grumbling about how it's a waste and how it's unoriginal is one of my pet peeves. If it's unsuccessful, it's going to go away. If it's successful and you don't like it, just shrug and don't give it a second thought.

I don't rush into the announcement topic for every beefcake action series that comes along, even though I've got as little interest for those as some of you seem to for this.

There's this thing called "opportunity cost". If someone does X, they can't simultaneously do Y, and if I prefer Y to X, or even if I'm just entirely bored with X and all it stands for, their chosing to do X in preference to Y affects me adversely.

I'm familiar with the concept of opportunity cost. Your analogy falls short of reality however, since there are tons of other options for you, not just 1 anime series per season. If that was the case, sure that'd certainly be a reason to get worked up about it and make a big stink and impress everyone with economics jargon.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I'm familiar with the concept of opportunity cost. Your analogy falls short of reality however, since there are tons of other options for you, not just 1 anime series per season.

Yes and no. If there's lots of studios making X but none doing Y in a given season, the analogy does hold up.

Anyway... going by the description, this could either turn out to be a good slice-of-life show or a crappy uninspired harem. Either way, I'm reserving judgement until I've seen it.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Leebo wrote:
I'm familiar with the concept of opportunity cost. Your analogy falls short of reality however, since there are tons of other options for you, not just 1 anime series per season.

Yes and no. If there's lots of studios making X but none doing Y in a given season, the analogy does hold up.

Show me a season where this happened. Ever. It doesn't. Sure, tomorrow aliens could come down and force all TV stations around the world to air Love Hina 24/7, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.
orochimaruSanin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
Yay, yet another harem series in making. I guess those who love harem/comedy genre and watch anime for *fun* would like this one.

Some of the people who commented on this thread need to lighten up; waiting for perfection doesn't bring out perfection. Smile
hara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Yeez, and I bet none of you have even read the novels, let alone seen the yet-to-even-be-aired anime before passing judgement on it. All you're going on is a single summary and cover art (hang on... book covers... judging... I think there's a rather common saying about this...), which I for one took to mean 'detached narrator slice-of-life' rather than 'harem comedy'.

Don't be ridiculous.
It's anime what we are talking about (one of the most cliche-laden medium that exists) and expecially concepts like this CAN be judged by summary and art. At least it works in 95% of the cases and I don't see any reason why Seitokai no Ichizon should be an exception.

It is just sad that hardly anyone sits down anymore to think of some solid stories. They just keep on using the same formula over and over again: daily life meets bishoujo.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Don't be ridiculous.
It's anime what we are talking about (one of the most cliche-laden medium that exists) and expecially concepts like this CAN be judged by summary and art. At least it works in 95% of the cases and I don't see any reason why Seitokai no Ichizon should be an exception.

If your hatred of harem and bishoujo is so severe that you're not even willing to consider the possibility that this title might turn out to be entertaining in some way, I'm not going to force you to watch it. But I must disagree with the notion that anime can be accurately judged by a summary (quite a brief one at that, here) and art alone. I have made assumptions about series based on those criteria before and turned out to be completely wrong, just often enough to make me wary of judging the proverbial book by its cover.
orochimaruSanin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is just sad that hardly anyone sits down anymore to think of some solid stories. They just keep on using the same formula over and over again: daily life meets bishoujo.

Clicking ones' tongue by sitting is pretty easy and it's kind of sad how you with a simple post of yours implied that no one out there *thinks*.

...wait, I guess the industry needs more people like you or maybe you have already tried and concluded that no one there matches your level of thinking. Heh. Smile

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
If your hatred of harem and bishoujo is so severe that you're not even willing to consider the possibility that this title might turn out to be entertaining in some way, I'm not going to force you to watch it. But I must disagree with the notion that anime can be accurately judged by a summary (quite a brief one at that, here) and art alone. I have made assumptions about series based on those criteria before and turned out to be completely wrong, just often enough to make me wary of judging the proverbial book by its cover.

+1 to the reply.

Like they say, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder; all you need to love/hate something is just a change in perception/POV.
hara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
Seriously, if they DID think and plan then they would not have presented a lame premise like that. And my hatred for bishoujo formulas comes from the tendency to the overkill of the genre.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Seems like as good a premise as any for a slice-of-life show.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:
and of course that's the only thing any business cares about. Moe moe moe...

If you watched U.S. TV, it would be reality, reality, reality. Yes, money drives the business. And unfortunately majority tastes rarely make hits from "serious" material. I don't even consider that wrong, because fiction TV is for entertainment, not social studies.

All these shows come from manga or games, meaning the original creators are doing the same thing. It's not just the anime production companies making these decisions. Japanese otaku are not other otaku. We... or most of us it seems... are trying to find Western entertainment in Japanese anime. That's like trying to find conservative political viewpoints in French movies.

I happen to be a comedy fan primarily, though my top anime are the thoughtful, artistic and generally serious pieces we all know. If you are a comedy fan, then you're going to watch moe, ecchi, high school and harems, or your screen is going to be dark for so long at a time you may as well not bother to watch anime.

Everyone has their preferences, and a forum is for opinions so bashing is fair. Just don't expect the Japanese otaku and the industry that serves them to change to Western artistic values in their entertainment. And frankly, I hope they never do. I wish they would just ignore any other markets in their creative thinking, because despite the preponderance of trashy shows, I still want the Japanese in my anime. I abandoned Western entertainment because I was bored and sick of it, so I don't want Japan trying to emulate us any more than they already do (I did mention reality TV, right?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3