• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nodame's Ninomiya Says She Has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kransom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
Might want to fix the "Nimoniya" in the title Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
This is horrible. I hope she can get good treatment
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
why is that every single "good" manga I read is starting to get put on hiatus because of the mangaka's health? Something is very odd....the only ones that haven't done that so far is Ga-Rei, Bleach, and Vampire Knight.........there are probably others, but as of late, I noticed my manga progress has slowed dramatically.

Nevertheless, I hope she gets better soon. And I agree with the first post.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
why is that every single "good" manga I read is starting to get put on hiatus because of the mangaka's health? Something is very odd....

Think about the frantic deadlines they have and the amount of passable art they need to draw sometimes every week if not every month. It's gonna happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
why is that every single "good" manga I read is starting to get put on hiatus because of the mangaka's health? Something is very odd....the only ones that haven't done that so far is Ga-Rei, Bleach, and Vampire Knight.........there are probably others, but as of late, I noticed my manga progress has slowed dramatically.

Nevertheless, I hope she gets better soon. And I agree with the first post.

Maybe it's your fault? You're cursed! Don't start reading anything I'm reading. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Hire more assistants. Cool
Mr Fingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
The title is still wrong. It should read Ninomiya.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
This is especially terrible considering carpal tunnel syndrome isn't something that is going to just go away. Hopefully, the sooner she treats it and the better the treatment she gets, the sooner it will get better.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
Aw man, that's terrible for her. I hope she'll find a way to cope so she can keep drawing. I can't imagine how hard that must be for someone who loves to create art.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute, isn't carpal tunnel caused by repetitive motion in the wrists? And hasn't she been resting her wrists a while lately? This sounds like code for "I've got a 2-month old in the house, and my editor is a confirmed bachelor who doesn't understand how much other work I've got to do now."
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
It can go away thankfully, otherwise minor surgery is needed. (my mum had it)
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Wait a minute, isn't carpal tunnel caused by repetitive motion in the wrists? And hasn't she been resting her wrists a while lately? This sounds like code for "I've got a 2-month old in the house, and my editor is a confirmed bachelor who doesn't understand how much other work I've got to do now."

Maybe your guess could be the real story, but a manga artist claiming to have carpal tunnel syndrome even supposedly resting her wrists adequately is not unbelievable. From what I've read online about manga artists' workloads and deadlines, I'm thinking they're seriously overworked and not paid enough to churn out the manga we love.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
And from what I recall unions aren't as big over there as they are over here. Though I could be wrong, not a lot of artists would even be in them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I had that in my right hand back in '96. It's painful and I couldn't hold on to even a teaspoon without it just falling out of my hand, and my writing was becoming illegible. I got the surgery, and it was right as rain after 6 weeks of healing, and 3 months of physio. I had to keep squeezing a foam ball to get the muscles back to strength and functioning nomally. Still working fine at present, but now my left is playing me up. Thankfully I don't use my left for much so I keep taking the pain killers, and doing the physio I was trained for the right hand. She hasn't had surgery yet, and with a new born, she better have lots of family to help out should she go for it now, or a very useful husband. Wink
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
......NOOOOOOOOO.

CTS sucks... I hope she can get better!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2