• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Will Not Be Origin Story

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I was looking forward to Jet offering Neo-Spike a choice from the red pill, blue pill and mushroom.

(Can you tell I'm oh so excited for Keanu Reeves? *rolleyes*)
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
For some reason. i have way more hope for this series then other anime adaptions. Plus Red-Eyed drugged up gangsters sound like they make for some great fight scenes.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
For some reason. i have way more hope for this series then other anime adaptions.

yeah with Watanabe approving the script, this actually gives me hope that it wont suck.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested on how the movie will introduce the characters.
Will it be a quick re-enactment of the TV introductions,
ret-con the whole thing to fit a 2-hr film,
or just assume people will know from the obscure TV series?

There's not many recent TV series-turned-movie lately to base off of;
a quick brainstorm yields the X-Files and Firefly/Serenity.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
(Can you tell I'm oh so excited for Keanu Reeves? *rolleyes*)

Haven't you people bashed him enough in the LAST two threads about this movie? Move on already, it's boring.

This movie might not suck, since Watanabe does not take bull****, at least that's what I've heard.
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
lol, they must be reading message boards...
se37

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I think, if anything, Cowboy Bebop with having the original party's in the movie maybe decent, if not, good. The series fits well with the west (still popular to this day after all) and the series is one that I would get non anime people to watch to start liking anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
lol, they must be reading message boards...

No, no we have not. As long as Keanu is alive we will bash him uncontrollably

BTW, wouldn't "when he is in his present life already" Mean dead because he died in the last episode of the series? Just a thought.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is nothing new in the way of...news. Really. Didn't we already know this would be en media res?

Unless he's saying that Vicious and Julia will not be regarded in this movie at all, which would Shocked sadden me... Crying or Very sad

But I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's just reassuring fans that they are NOT now or ever going to get the full story of Spike's past, the snippets are the snippets, and this movie will be like a long episode of the TV show. Which is how it should be.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I do like that Watanabe is involved, but it's hard to muster much hope for a production in which Keanu Reeves plays a guy half his age and twice his energy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bushwack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
For some reason. i have way more hope for this series then other anime adaptions.

yeah with Watanabe approving the script, this actually gives me hope that it wont suck.

Being the first to "read the script"..."when they are done" is not the same as script approval. So don't get you hopes up.

So let me get this strait....we going to the ONE and probably ONLY live action Cowboy Bebop Movie no Faye, no Ed, no Ein.

Just Spike and Jet hunting Bounty Heads.

Righ.......t
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
^ Dude, they just greenlighted the project months ago, they're still in pre-production. It's weird that they even have ONE part cast, much less the rest. Wait until production starts. And it's not going to be based on the first episode. It's going to be based on the Red Eye plotline, and probably very loosely. This is actually a great idea as it gives them a reason to tie Vicious, Julia, and the martian mafia into the story.

No one knows how movies are made anymore... -.-' Oh, wait, most people never did. I'm just weird.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Bushwack wrote:
So let me get this strait....we going to the ONE and probably ONLY live action Cowboy Bebop Movie no Faye, no Ed, no Ein.

Just Spike and Jet hunting Bounty Heads.

Righ.......t

I can give you a 95% guarantee that Faye will be in it someway. There's no way the film can pull in that coveted young male audience without without the 3 most important action flick trio: violence, cool cars/machines, and scantily clad hot chicks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
^ Dude, they just greenlighted the project months ago, they're still in pre-production. It's weird that they even have ONE part cast, much less the rest. Wait until production starts. And it's not going to be based on the first episode. It's going to be based on the Red Eye plotline, and probably very loosely. This is actually a great idea as it gives them a reason to tie Vicious, Julia, and the martian mafia into the story.

No one knows how movies are made anymore... -.-' Oh, wait, most people never did. I'm just weird.

I thought they came from this magic land where when an idea pops into a producer's head, little elves and unicorns worked hard on producing a movie from nothingness day and night, months on end and while this was happening, Mario could invite us over to ride bikes and play Nintendo and mom could order pizza

I will not tire of abusing that quote
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, this is nothing new in the way of...news. Really. Didn't we already know this would be en media res?

No, Reeves talked about an "origin-story obligation" as recently as last month. What's new is this move away from an origin story angle.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-17/keanu-reeves-hopes-to-star-in-live-action-cowboy-bebop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8