• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2008's Top-Selling Graphic Novels in U.S. Bookstores

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
This is good news for the manga industry.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Well, it's honestly kind of expected, since the majority of comic book sales is still in the classic comic format and not trade paperback.

Actually, what's kind of telling is that more people will pay $20 for Watchmen then will pay $12 for Naruto. That kind of makes me smile.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Actually, what's kind of telling is that more people will pay $20 for Watchmen then will pay $12 for Naruto. That kind of makes me smile.

It's SJ, so it's only $8 a volume.

Last I checked, atleast...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
I still haven't read Watchmen. I need to before the movie comes out. Bad Unit, bad!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised that Fruits Basket wasn't named. I'm disappointed too.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

It came in 10th and 11th.

GeneralArrow wrote:

I guess. It just kind of sucks to see so much Naruto, when there is so much other good stuff out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I guess. It just kind of sucks to see so much Naruto, when there is so much other good stuff out there.

20th Century Boys and Pluto star their release in February. I'd love to see Urasawa Naoki on that list next year...

Still, glad people are reading Watchmen, since no matter how good the movie might be, the book will be better.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I still haven't read Watchmen. I need to before the movie comes out. Bad Unit, bad!

Me too. I've been waiting on a friend to let me borrow it, but if push comes to shove i'll ask for it on my birthday.

Good to see manga on the list. I'm still kind of shocked naruto is such a powerhouse considering every time I'm in the store no one is buying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy to see a number of manga titles make this list. It's no surprise to me that Naruto is still running strong, though admittedly I hadn't expected it to do this well.

Seeing Fruits Basket was also a joyful surprise for me. Vampire Knight was no shocker, however I was pretty surprised that only 1 vol. of Bleach made the list (I ahd figured it to be somewhere beside Naruto in that regard, honestly).

As soon as I read that Watchmen was the top seller, I kind of thought, "yeah, no surprise there." Wink Sadly I've only read a bit of it so far, and, while fairly depressing in its content thus far, I found it's also very interesting to see essentially a superhero genre comicbook take such a dark and psychological route.

Lastly, I hope, regardless of what specific titles made the list, that this can contribute positively to the manga and comicbooks industry as a whole for '09 and beyond.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
i need to get my RA's copy of watchmen. so i think the article said that naruto was the rest of the top ten right? then i love seeing Furuba there right after it. viz is going to release so much Naruto soon, which is good and bad
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Still, glad people are reading Watchmen, since no matter how good the movie might be, the book will be better.

No biases detected there. Rolling Eyes I'm keeping an open mind. I think the movie may actually be better, since there's not much that will have to be cut in order to make it a feature-length film, and from all of the interviews I've seen, they're basically using the original as a storyboard. That means that we're essentially getting the graphic novel + sfx, actors, and music.

The only thing that bothers me about the trailers is how young Nite Owl and Ozymandias are. Otherwise, I think it looks to be just as good.

Looking forward to seeing FMA on that list next year!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

No biases detected there. Rolling Eyes

Alan Moore adaptations have had a lousy track record.

Still, the seventies newscast trailer makes me much more optimistic about this one.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Alan Moore adaptations have had a lousy track record.

They have, but that doesn't mean that all adaptations of Alan Moore stuff must suck. Anyway, I've been hearing promising things about the Watchmen movie. I don't honestly expect it to be quite as good as the comic, but if it's as faithful an adaptation as I've heard it is, it should at least be a good movie.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I'm still kind of shocked naruto is such a powerhouse considering every time I'm in the store no one is buying it.

It's because manga buyers have gotten smart: they run into the bookstore as soon as it opens, grab copies of what they need, and proceed to the cash register. Why? So they can shop before 20% of the manga is being horded by the manga cows. Wink

vash: thanks for reminding me about 20th Century Boys, I've been looking forward to reading that one. Hope the live-action movies get licensed too (trailer looked cool).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

It came in 10th and 11th.

Whoops! Missed that. I need to read things better.

Quote:
GeneralArrow wrote:

That is so darn true!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2