• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Starts Haikasoru Novel Imprint for Sci-Fi, Fantasy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Wish they would release more Shana......

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
D_Wisdom09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Wish they would release more Shana......

-Gabe

Yeah same. It's great to see more novels being published here, especially from Viz. Let's just hope they don't go unfinished. Shocked

Last edited by D_Wisdom09 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
They now have absolutely no reason not to translate the Legend of Galactic Heroes novels.
Hurray for All You Need is Kill getting a translation though. Always wanted to read that.
Ian K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. As a big SF fan, I'm interested in reading genre novels from other cultures, including Japan. It'll be interesting to see in what ways they resemble western SF, and if there are significant differences in approach. I'm also pleased to see that while all of the authors have anime connections, these aren't light novels and apparently were able to sell just fine in Japan without manga illustrations to appeal to the otaku crowd.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
All You Need is Kill is a light novel, actually.

Only one of these I've read is Zoo. Otsu Ichi's always worth reading; I didn't care for every story in it, but the ones I liked were really fantastic, and it definitely shows off his range. I doubt anyone reading Goth would expect him to be as funny as his story in Faust, or two of the stories in Zoo...
Ian K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
AC,

I stand corrected. I guess my point is it's good to see some stuff that with a more 'serious' bent to it. Not to dis light novels, but they have a tendency to fall into the same cliches that anime does - The fact that this imprint isn't limited to them says good things about the variety and quality of the selections.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
AC,

I stand corrected. I guess my point is it's good to see some stuff that with a more 'serious' bent to it. Not to dis light novels, but they have a tendency to fall into the same cliches that anime does - The fact that this imprint isn't limited to them says good things about the variety and quality of the selections.

Yeah, this imprint feels like it's aimed at a much more mainstream audience. Part of the reason light novels failed was that they were aimed entirely at the hardcore fans, who apparently don't read novels.
These titles all have a great deal more cross over appeal.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Always, always happy to hear new releases, but especially in this instance as Viz-- err, I guess I should say Haikasoru (that'll take some getting used to) is focusing on imported Sci-Fi light novels.

I'll definitely be looking forward to these. Anime catgrin
Ligene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Fantasy is always welcomed, so I'm definitely picking up ZOO when its released.

Really looking forward to what else Viz decides to license. Although it'd thrill me if they would pick up the all but abandoned Scrapped Princess novels from Tokyopop, since it's both sci-fi and fantasy technically. Wink
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
this sounds cool, I can't wait to see it. I'd love to see some fantasy get tossed out in the line as well (altho some do group the two together like what was common several decades ago). part of me hopes they pick up Banner of the Stars (as Tokyopop only got the Crest of the Stars part) and I wouldn't mind seeing the Lost Universe novels as well. I don't expect them, but wouldn't mind seeing them... and/or them taking over Scrapped Princess.
cetriya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
just curious though, will they put it in the manga section like the light novels or in the fantasy scifi lit section?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Most likely they'll go in the sci-fi/fantasy section. That's where other novels such as The Twelve Kingdoms and Vampire Hunter D have ended up, though I've seen the former in comic book shops as well.
DPX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long this will last, and if these novels will see completion (cause, you gotta admit, Viz doesn't really have the greatest track record when it comes novels).
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Considering these seem to be stand-alones, completion wouldn't be an issue.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I personally wish they'd license more light novels based on manga, like the Vampire Knight ones, Fushigi Yuugi etc. but more novels are always good Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1