• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic 200

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Wow! So thats what tempest sounds like! I feel like i've heard Bamboo before. But tempest... I'm surprised, for some reason I expected a deeper booming voice. It was also nice for the heads of the companies to send their congrats as well.

Anyway, congrats on 200! I'm surprised its been so long since i first saw FMP. I too don't know why they showed Heat Guy J.

I had to look up that gore/yakuzu thing. LOL. I didn't know they had such horrible photoshopping on an election ad.

In 02 RahXephon is spelt Rahxephone. if it was a joke, my apologizes.

A nice trip down memory lane. Heres to not only 100 but 200 more.\

edit: whoops. thanks.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Wow! So thats what tempest sounds like! I feel like i've heard Bamboo before. But tempest... I'm surprised, for some reason I expected a deeper booming voice. It was also nice for the heads of the companies to send their congrats as well.

You're thinking of Christopher Macdonald, who is tempest. The Chris in the clip is Chris Beveridge, of AnimeonDVD.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Strangely enough, the column is a part of the culture and history surrounding ANN through all of its years. Here's to you BD, and many more Shelf Life columns and AXs to come.
HQuest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
That totally blew my mind. I've been reading this column since it started, and the industry has slowed down so much in the last few years, that it's really shocking to put it all in perspective.

It's all just little things. Like the fact that RahXephon and Noir came out around the same time, or that they were both out before ROD. But then it gets a little bigger, and everything since 2005 all feels like it's happened so much more recently. I can't believe Samurai 7 hit all the way back in 2005, before Trinity Blood and a bunch of other things.

Thanks for the column so far, and keep up the good work!
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
Congrats on the big 200, Bamboo! I started buying anime a few years ago, and since then, Shelf Life has become my favorite column to read on ANN Very Happy
zhir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
Congrats, Bamboo. I started reading your column just after I became an anime fan, so thanks for molding my taste. Very Happy
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
Oh man, has it really been that long since the article started? Looking back at past articles have brought back memories of where I was when I was reading them. A couple I was reading while taking a break from studying for a big exam in college. Congrats Bamboo.

As for why Chika's torso is a different color from her limbs and face it's due to her school's one piece swimsuit creating tan lines. That being the case, when she's wearing a two piece her non tanned skin shows.
Warrick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote
Felicitous 200th!

By the way, please be more careful with all that "let's get ready for another 200!" and "Here's to several more years" talk. In the movies, when a character talks about his bright and hopeful future, buying a boat and retiring to the Bahamas with his beautiful wife or whatever, he usually dies in a hail of gunfire.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:

As for why Chika's torso is a different color from her limbs and face it's due to her school's one piece swimsuit creating tan lines. That being the case, when she's wearing a two piece her non tanned skin shows.

Ohhhhhh, I had totally forgotten about that after all these years. But for the record, that is not a realistic tan color at all. She looks ghastly. ;p

@Warrick: Thanks for the warning. Now that you mention it, I think you may be on to something.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
I don't post very much, but I feel a necessity to thank you for all these years. Your column was, and continues to be, an invaluable source for recommendations; one that I have taken full advantage of by reading every single one--even the 2 or 3 years worth before I stumbled upon this site.

I look forward to reading the column for many more years to come.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
Well done with managing to keep writing this column whilst going through university. It's more than I'm probably able to do.

On an unrelated note, I believe this is my new favourite picture of you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
On an unrelated note, I believe this is my new favourite picture of you.

The Chise cosplay picture was, is, and always will be my favorite picture of her Cool .

So from one SaiKano fan to another - Congratulations on your 200th column Bamboo! I've been reading your column for over 5 years now and it has always been a very informative and tremendous help in my anime purchasing. I love reading you insights on various titles, and even though I don't always agree with your assesments, I always value your opinions as genuine and honest. Thank you for your hard work and keep it up, my dear Cool .

Last edited by bci110 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
Happy 200th Bamboo. Though I dislike Monday's normally due to me having large amounts of work to do, I always look forward tot he shelf life article for a quick pick me to the standard manic Monday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
you do have a soothing voice... just remember not to wear a red shirt, and you'll be around for many more eps... oh, wait... wrong genre. Wink

What continuously amuses me about all this, is when I discover something new, and to the site for a review and discover that while new to me it has been known to you for quite a while. I wonder how that time dissonance looks from the perspective of someone who deals in the new stuff constantly.

Keep up the good work.
AFD
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Way to go on the 200 episodes Bamboo.

If you were an anime you'd be one of those legendary ones that have survived this long. (But without the prerequisite filler arcs) Wink

I may have not read your column since the good ol' days, but that does not diminish my appreciation for your opinions on all things anime.

Glad to see another Please Twins fan out there too.

Here's to hoping that this column keeps getting published as long as you want it too!

Cheers! *raises coffee mug in your honor*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7