• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Joost Begins Streaming Koi Koi Seven Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to check this out in English. This is one of those bizarre, is it so bad it's good, drug-induced incidental brilliance wacko Japanese creations. It cannot be taken seriously by any means, but it has an offbeat charm. I hope they didn't "fix" it for us Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
From the same creator as Hanaukyo Maid-tai you say?

I'll have to check it out then.
yuricon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yet another hi-larious story in which a crossdressing guy goes to a all-girls school and wackiness ensues. Wait, let me guess - he'll be a more perfect "girl" than all the girls around him and there will be lots of groping gags (in which he will somehow magicall feel something through fake breasts) and girls louging around in lingerie.

Godamighty, can't someone come up with a different plot? This one has been done 14 million times already. I'm exhausted at the mere thought of another one.

Cheers,

Erica

Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
http://okazu.blogspot.com
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:
Yet another hi-larious story in which a crossdressing guy goes to a all-girls school and wackiness ensues. Wait, let me guess - he'll be a more perfect "girl" than all the girls around him and there will be lots of groping gags (in which he will somehow magicall feel something through fake breasts) and girls louging around in lingerie.

Where did you read about the guy cross-dressing? I think you have this mistaken with some other anime...
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Where did you read about the guy cross-dressing? I think you have this mistaken with some other anime...

Yeah, not. This is your standard ecchi harem, mixed with mecha, taken to full parody level, but difficult to tell if it's intentional or not--just pure wacky. It is NOT watched for a straight story. Watch the first episode, then you can decide. I consider it one of my cult classics, like a Roger Corman anime Smile Oh, and because I watched it subbed, when they said English I thought they meant dubbed. No, just officially subbed now.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Oh, and because I watched it subbed, when they said English I thought they meant dubbed. No, just officially subbed now.

Yeah, the article was a bit confusing. I though that Koi Koi Seven was going to be streamed with an English dub, but yes it is Japanese with English subtitles.

No worries, though, I did catch the first episode on Joost not too long ago. A lot of quirky situations and a heavy dose of fanservice, but otherwise not a bad episode. The characters seem plausible enough that I can probably enjoy it as long as they kept the fanservice to a minimum and don't go overboard with it. I'll check out the rest of the episodes at a later time.
yuricon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for the misunderstanding - prettend to be a girl is the usual handwave that gets a guy into a girls school.

That he's just there is marginally less annoying. Still exhausting, though. lol

Cheers,

Erica

ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl
http://www.anilesbocon.org/shop/alcp.html
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

Been a while since I saw the show, but there was a brief instance of Tetsuro being disguised as "Tetsuko". Forgot about how they explain a boy openly attending an all-girls school.

The episode where they make an anime (shot on film using actual cels, no less) was pretty good.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
yuricon wrote:

Strawberry Eggs.

One of the most retarded anime series I've seen, I might add.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Well, good to see Gong hasn't gone the way of every other UK based broadcasting anime indever.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:
Apologies for the misunderstanding - prettend to be a girl is the usual handwave that gets a guy into a girls school.

That he's just there is marginally less annoying. Still exhausting, though. lol

Cheers,

Erica

ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl
http://www.anilesbocon.org/shop/alcp.html

I love complaining about shows I don't watch! It makes me look intelligent when I can just dismiss any show because of my amazing ability to mind read what the staff where doing so I know whats happening before its animated.

Is the main character boring and just a retread of pretty much 75% of harem leads.? Yes, but you would only know that by watching it. The girls are fun, and the plot is simply so nonsensical that it works.

I mean if you read a blurb on Negima it doesn't sound much better, but Negima is also one of the best shonen mangas made in Japan today certainly better than anything Shonen Jump is vomiting out.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
I went to Joost yesterday to see this even though, nine times out of ten, I can't get anything I want to watch there to run. It wouldn't run for me and I picked up a couple of trojans for my troubles.

Joost posts stuff from a lot of sleazy sources. Don't trust it and never let it download anything to your computer. I'm not going back there for anything.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
as long as they kept the fanservice to a minimum and don't go overboard with it. I'll check out the rest of the episodes at a later time.

It's an ecchi title, obvious from the first show. But IIRC ep 01 is one of the more blatant ones. There are a couple situations later that go a bit overboard, depending on your tastes, but those were particularly humorous to me.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
is this english dubbed or subbed?
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
magicalgirlj wrote:
is this english dubbed or subbed?

It's subtitled.

pparker wrote:
It's an ecchi title, obvious from the first show. But IIRC ep 01 is one of the more blatant ones. There are a couple situations later that go a bit overboard, depending on your tastes, but those were particularly humorous to me.

I've watched my fair share of harems over the years and as long as the characters maintain their level of entertainment and don't act too corny I should pretty much enjoy this series. I did liked the first episode and most harems are character-driven shows in my view anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2