• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball's Toriyama Sketches Ayumi Hamasaki as Goku

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote
BTW, the theme song is here, courtesy of Lupinthethird.net. Tony had a problem with me mentioning it earlier, for some reason. Didn't know Bandai had a European branch, btw. Oh, and the movie is still gonna blow chunks, but at least the French narrator makes it come off more cheerful.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
And here I thought Toriyama's characters ALL looked the same. Razz

That's actually...hot, in a weird and creepy kind of way. Sorta like that one artist who draws video game males as females...forgot his name, but it's weirdly arousing in that...odd way...um...oh God, I think I need to cry now.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not really an Ayumi fan, but poor girl, Toriyama's rendition isn't attractive at all...
SaveRobotech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I'm not really an Ayumi fan, but poor girl, Toriyama's rendition isn't attractive at all...

Looks like her to me. Still going to see this train wreck, but it's going to cost me twice as much as paying for a movie ticket in the Sates. Man the left side of my body is still numb from paying to see the DOA movie two years ago. I must have a fetish for self inflicted pain or something.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Wait, an Ayumi Hamasaki song is going to be the theme for this movie? Is that here in the U.S. too? Or just Japan?

I will have to pick up the soundtrack if the song makes it on the U.S. release.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Slow news day?
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
This is probably the only thing good coming from this movie... and I doubt this song is being released in the States. It really should be, I mean, come on...
Evelas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, our best bet for hearing this in the U.S. release is if they stick it with the end credits. Anyway, I really like this song! Anime catgrin

EDIT: Just saw this on the Dragonball Evolution Wikipedia page: "Rule" will be used as the theme song for every country's release. This is the link to the source for that, but I unfortunately can't read Japanese.
http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/081210/gnj0812100505015-n2.htm
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
...Wow. That's really, really, really unattractive. Stick to Dragon Quest, Toriyama-kun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Evelas wrote:
EDIT: Just saw this on the Dragonball Evolution Wikipedia page: "Rule" will be used as the theme song for every country's release. This is the link to the source for that, but I unfortunately can't read Japanese.
http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/081210/gnj0812100505015-n2.htm

This was in English in December:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-10/ayumi-hamasaki-to-sing-live-action-dragonball-theme-song
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Wong personally requested her for the theme song of the movie, so says the article. I think that means that it will be in the ending credits no matter where the movie is released. Now this is going to be interesting. My friend and I will probably be going to see it when it comes out. Although my friend will be going to see it just for the kicks of the movie.
Kibate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
he really should stick to this original style, an 18 variant of her would be neat
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Slow news day?

Troll much?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I know it's fun to troll Toriyama and Dragon Ball, but I'm actually a pretty big fan of Toriyama's character designs. They're fun, though hard to take seriously, I suppose. This particular drawing isn't all that great, I'll admit, but I'm still a fan.

Kappei Yamaguchi is dubbing live-action Goku? Not Masako Nozawa? Actually, either talent is too good. Even Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis is too good for this movie. It's more Sean Schemmel's speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ah, name dropping much? But regardless, I only ever really liked his Chrono Trigger designs. Honestly, I think the style of the disproportionate midget bodies of, say, the DBZ characters gets really trite, and he almost never draws characters differently (see: Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest). This movie is gonna blow, no matter what they do to promote it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2