• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So? Aren't ya going to give us the link? Or are you going to let this opportunity to shamelessly self promote pass you by?

Well, his old one was thingofthings (dot com), but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Either that or it is temporarily down. I thought Brian shamelessly promoted his website already in one of his Hey, Answerman! columns, but I cannot find it.

If I do find it I'll get back to you; hopefully trudging through back-issues of The Click will tell me.

Edit: Whoops, it does work. It is www.thingofthings.net

Obviously the link that Brian posted is out of date, since it (the link) claims that the site is a .com address, which is now patently untrue.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Kimyo wrote:
A Death Note videogame where you could be Light and try to create the new world, or L and try to catch Kira. That could be cool.

I'm pretty sure there is one in Japan...

I knew there was A Death Note game for DS, but upon looking I discovered there are 3....

...this is one of those things that make me go 'WHY didn't they bring it over here?!' *sigh* Full Metal got 3 of their games to make it over here (having the fanbase big enough and all, you think Konami would go ahead >_>)

...I'd also make suggestions on anime I'd like to see as a game, but everytime I try I realize 'oh wait, it's been done before in Japan...'
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

...I'd also make suggestions on anime I'd like to see as a game, but everytime I try I realize 'oh wait, it's been done before in Japan...'

Kodomo no Jikan: the game Laughing
Alien1375

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote
A video-game based on the Black Lagoon serie could be a lot of fun if the gamemechanic works. On the other hand it could turn into a weak version of a GTA/Yakuza game so it really depends on the amount of developement.

Also, a Lucky Star RPG (based on the OVA) would be heaven.....
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
Given that Super Robot Wars already exists... How about an Ace Combat-esque air combat game with magical girls? Touhou, Nanoha, maybe Strike Witches, etc would all lend themselves well to Ace Combat's millitary mashup lineup and enjoyable SERIOUS BUSINESS plot.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
Oh the answerfan question is easy:

A Massive Kodansha vs Shueisha Fighter using the DBZ Burst Limit Engene.

I want to be able to up and out Vapourize Sasuke using Sailor Moon with Moon Healing Esclation all the while having Card Captor Sakura fighting Negi Springfiled who will interupt Sakura's Sword attack with Krillian jumping kicking her.

And the soundtrack is done by JAM Project.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
*sigh*...this has been bugging me for a while...but if there's one thing I noticed with Answerfans lately is...well...walls of text.

Every single godamn email is some uptight, uber grammatically efficient essay suitable to use as a college entrance paper.

How I miss thee days when we read replies composed of just 2-3 sentences, perfectly valid, and quite humorous at that... Sad

Maybe that's because that's the point. To have an actual response that's more then just some trollish jibba jabba. Some of us like having a questioned answered AND explained so we understand WHY the person feels the way they do. Plus here it's kind of the rules. If you want to simply read mindless posts head to 4chan or just watch shin-chan and make your own poptartsicles. Sorry that being able to formulate coherent and articulated thoughts is such a bother to you.

As for the first question I would definitely not worry about your talent at drawing. Focus on your story and make it as engaging and interesting as you possibly can while keeping it true to your own vision. Once you've done that you can show it to people and see the reactions you get. Don't worry about your ability to draw. While majority of mangaka do their own drawing as well (cheaper then splitting the profits with someone else) that is not the case with all of them. I can give you 2 examples. Both Getbackers and He Is My Master have both an author/story writer and an artist. So fear not. Plus personally I feel in the world of books (which here will include anything in writing that is fictional) it is the STORY that keeps you reading. Sure with manga all dem purty pictures are nice. But after a while if the story blows no one will buy it or care. If your story is just grade A material fans will continue to support you. Just my opinion anyways. Though if not for such strong stories how would a series like say....Oh My Goddess still be around after 20 years?
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
For a game i would not mind seeing a xxxHolic game;where you played as Yuko.After all being drunk and mysterious most of the time would be a blast!
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Hi-Chan wrote:
For a game i would not mind seeing a xxxHolic game;where you played as Yuko.After all being drunk and mysterious most of the time would be a blast!

OH, second that one. I have no idea whether such games exist, but the whole crossover CLAMP thing provides tons of material. xxxHolic crossed with Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, and of course bring in all the rest of the CLAMP characters (besides the 100+ that show up in TSR). Casts of recognizable characters from multiple time streams and universes. Endless sequels, endless play... that may not be a great idea coming from a mostly non-gamer, but I'd play it just spend time with the characters.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
About the J-Rock band question, it bugs me too how a little-known Japanese rock band is shoved to the forefront for no reason. However, cons only have so much money, so they end up turning an anime con into an all-around celebration of Japanese pop culture. If Avex has this band for your con and will bring them to perform super-cheap, you let them. And if Peelander-Z is available, that works too.

Sometimes, however, you have these convenient bands who also happen to have a few anime songs. And then you have JAM Project, SOS Brigade, etc., where the point *is* to make the anime fans happy.

(Because nothing is more awesome than SKILL.)
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
I completely understand the point of the j-rock letter, and wonder if perhaps it was written by a fellow Sakura Con attendee.

For those who have a minute, pop over to sakuracon.org and look at the guests list- so far, we have 4 American guests, 4 bands (not all Japanese even), and NO Japanese industry people.

I don't mind the bands, really- Sakura Con's always been more 'leinient' about the anime theme, and I've suspected for years they want to make bands a con focal point... but if it comes at the expense of bringing over the people who actually make the anime, I'm not going to be happy. I have no complaints about the US guests either, I just want to see a lil' more balance with what we're supposed to be meeting for.

Hmmm, any anime-game I want?... I don't really care, as long as I can work Basch from Final Fantasy 12 in. I know he's not from an anime, the world just needs more Basch. Laughing
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Some kind of RPG based on Pokémon? Oh, wait...

I'd like a game based on Negima, with the manga canon. Um, RPG or Action Adventure, I guess. I know there are some games already, but they're all strategy or what have you.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Someone's already done the "suggest a game based on an anime already based on a game" bit, so I won't suggest Sakura Wars

Well, then how about an Oh My Goddess game, where you are a member of the NIT motor club, and race assorted motor vehicles? Goddesses and Demons intervene depending on how you interact with them off-track. And an unlockable broomstick-racing minigame.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
I do feel a sense of community with fellow anime fans. It doesn't matter if we watch all the same shows, or enjoy the same genres, or even if we watch the same shows for different reasons.

I still find a thrill when I meet someone who enjoys watching cartoons with complicated characters and convoluted plots as much as I do, and it doesn't take to long for me to find something in common for us to discuss.
Gilaskan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
*sigh*...this has been bugging me for a while...but if there's one thing I noticed with Answerfans lately is...well...walls of text.

Every single godamn email is some uptight, uber grammatically efficient essay suitable to use as a college entrance paper.

How I miss thee days when we read replies composed of just 2-3 sentences, perfectly valid, and quite humorous at that... Sad

Maybe that's because that's the point. To have an actual response that's more then just some trollish jibba jabba. Some of us like having a questioned answered AND explained so we understand WHY the person feels the way they do. Plus here it's kind of the rules. If you want to simply read mindless posts head to 4chan or just watch shin-chan and make your own poptartsicles. Sorry that being able to formulate coherent and articulated thoughts is such a bother to you.

Incoherent spam isn't what he asked for, and a long, essay-like response isn't always the best response. A person who can concisely and explicitly state their opinion in short-response should be valued. Meanwhile, a coherent and articulate, but pedantic, pointlessly-long, self-indulgent essay-like response shouldn't be viewed as any more "valid" for it's length.

I would say that certain questions deserve longer responses, such as this week's question about community. The answer to that question should be pondered for some time, and deserves a multi-paragraph "claim - data - warrant" response. On the other hand, there are weeks where a simple few sentences with a "Here's my opinion, this is my main reason why" would more than suffice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9