• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2 Estimates U.S. Manga Sales Were Down 17% in 2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
I was suprised to see CHIBI VAMPIRE ranked so high. I remember when Geneon went out of business KARIN(CHIBI's anime adaption) was considered one of the titles that might be too obscure to be rescued. I wonder how the manga got so popular? While I'm a fan of the anime I've never read the manga or novels--I'm more of MOON PHASE guy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
amono wrote:
Here something for all of you to think about.

I noticed in my town that Wal-Mart has started selling manga! I kid you not, the worlds biggest retailer selling Fruits Basket, Bleach, and Naruto for 6 bucks a pop! So if Wal-Mart became a big distributor of manga it might mean cheaper "Always Low" prices : ).

Would you buy manga at Wal-Mart?

Yes, if I could buy more series in bulk for cheaper, and not just the most popular ones. Get me Berserk packs of 10 volumes for #29.97 or whatever walmart makes their last digit.
midnightshinigami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
My brother did just that. He bought the DBZ omnibus version for a lot less. I forgot how much.

Unfortunately, they only carry the few manga I don't care to read. Currently I am at one manga every two months. Only NANA right now for me.

I think besides the slowing economy, the manga that's been coming out lately isn't very good. It's obscure, and either shoujo or shounen only. I have found very little in between with interesting stories. Like anime, the manga market has been flooded with garbage, and companies need to cut back a lot.

I swear, every time I walk into my Borders to pick up a manga, they have piles of stuff they've been trying to get rid of for months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2