• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Although it should be noted that a lot of the girls we saw at AX 2007 looked like jailbait.
Yet another reason to fight against the teenage party-style con weekend: the increased risk of being partyvan'd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
RyoShin wrote:
Wait, wait, WAIT. People go to cons to have sex? Shit, I've been going to all the wrong cons, then.

Unfortunately, it's more likely than you might think*.

I know for a fact that there are often many instances of teenage girls either reporting being raped or their friends reporting guys who picked them up. Cons themselves aren't that dangerous, but what goes on in the actual hotel can be problematic. Con staff doesn't really have much control over what goes on in rooms... With room parties, there's usually quite a bit of alcohol going around too... One thing leads to another and suddenly you've got a serious situation on your hands.

So yeah, there's a lot of sex at cons... but probably not the kind you want :/

* - yeah, I was highly tempted to make a centipede joke there.
It certainly dispells the myth that otaku are sexual cretins, however I doubt that most of those predators are otaku, but more opportunists. Wolves in otaku t-shirts, so to speak. Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It certainly dispells the myth that otaku are sexual cretins, however I doubt that most of those predators are otaku, but more opportunists. Wolves in otaku t-shirts, so to speak. Wink

Nerds tend to sleep with other nerds, and 90 percent of the people who show up to these things are teenagers, who are more likely to sleep with eachother.

I don't think it's a display of sexual competence, rather just inevitable when you put a bunch of nerdy adolescents in a room together.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, i don't care about the whole j-rock issue, because, simply i don't go to cons anymore, too many people with shit taste. Anime fans in general annoy the piss out of me now, the arguments annoy me, its all everyone shouting off how much they love naruto, and then i feel like an ass when i say i don't, so why bother going.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Nerds tend to sleep with other nerds, and 90 percent of the people who show up to these things are teenagers, who are more likely to sleep with eachother.

I don't think it's a display of sexual competence, rather just inevitable when you put a bunch of nerdy adolescents in a room together.
Surely not of mixed gender though? I can relate to school trips where the boys shared a room, but never with the girls as well. So it's the promiscuity that is the myth then?Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:
Yet another reason to fight against the teenage party-style con weekend: the increased risk of being partyvan'd.

And...it makes me thankful that I never got into that kind of stuff. I'd hate to think of what my parents would have ever thought if I were to come home with mugshots. Another thing noticeable about the whole teenage party thing is when they have rave dances going on...at Anime Expo for crying out loud. That is one of THE most obvious signs. I tend to keep to myself, and to my friends who are there for the reason that anybody that is interested in the medium would want to in the first place; for the anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
dabura:
Quote:
The fanbase has been building for years and it's bigger than most people believe it to be.

If you count Japanese expatriates living in America, sure.

Quote:
One major problem with the bands is that many of them seem to, if at all, only tour the likes Europe outside of Japan and coming over to the states is a rarity in many cases/ IF we get them, the US is the last.

Thus invalidating your previous argument.

Quote:
I don't go and act like an immature 12 year old like many within the scene; it really gives us a bad name.

You do know that's their target audience in Japan, right? Rolling Eyes

fighter:
Quote:
Although it should be noted that a lot of the girls we saw at AX 2007 looked like jailbait, and he ended up not "getting any" as they say.

Looked like jailbait?! Which girls aren't jailbait at those cons? Laughing

Zac:
Quote:
Nerds tend to sleep with other nerds,

Not in my case. Crying or Very sad Usually, the ones I encounter are more stuck up than the high-maintenance bimbos.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
To be honest, i don't care about the whole j-rock issue, because, simply i don't go to cons anymore, too many people with shit taste. Anime fans in general annoy the piss out of me now, the arguments annoy me, its all everyone shouting off how much they love naruto, and then i feel like an ass when i say i don't, so why bother going.

Not sure what the last convention you went to is but anime cons are basically becoming even worse than teenage party weekend, now it's teenage party BE AS ANNOYING IN PUBLIC AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF weekend.

The last show I was at was New York Anime Fest and the latest trend is to gather, usually right in the middle of a walkway, in a huge mob and have a "shout war" where one side screams one thing at the top of their lungs and then the other side screams something else, like "NINJAS" and then "PIRATES" and after 10 minutes of this a "winner" is declared. It is absolutely unbearable and the worst part is all these little douchebags sincerely think they're being funny and clever rather than just inhumanly obnoxious and loud. I really hope cons start enforcing SOME kind of public behavior rules banning "shout fights" just as most cons now have a "no signs" rule, the last atrocious social virus to spawn at anime cons.

Nothing, and I mean nothing will edge you closer to homicide than nursing a headache while some idiot dork screams Portal references in your ear with a big dumb grin on his face.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I went to Otakon in 2005 and 2006 and didn't notice any teen partying.

Maybe I was just too exhausted from the heat and carrying stuff around to notice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
I don't go and act like an immature 12 year old like many within the scene; it really gives us a bad name.

You do know that's their target audience in Japan, right? :roll:

... except not :/

While it is true that little v-kei bands tend to be more fanservice oriented and are more popular with the girls, the fan base in Japan for a lot of these bands are more in the 16-24 range... How else can you explain the popularity of exclusively v-kei club venues?

Bands signed under more major labels are a whole different story too. You'd be hard pressed to prove that bands like MUCC, Laruku, etc. are specifically marketed towards 12-year-olds...

Also, the US fan base HAS been growing. In just a decade it's moved from being something of an IRC-based cult with limited musical access to a huge (albeit somewhat obnoxious) community linked across the internet. We have more access to new and more diverse music and the increasing interest in concert guests is proof enough of Japanese rock's growing popularity.

It's also funny... a lot of us actually care about the music and not just the pretty faces and costumes - WOW!!

Last edited by evilnekohilda on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nothing, and I mean nothing will edge you closer to homicide than nursing a headache while some idiot dork screams Portal references in your ear with a big dumb grin on his face.

Perhaps this some sort of mating ritual?

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Looked like jailbait?! Which girls aren't jailbait at those cons? Laughing

Which is why I never go looking for booty in the first place, since it can land you in big trouble. It's always better to be safe than sorry. What is it that you have to prove by going to a con and sleeping with somebody anyway?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Not sure what the last convention you went to is but anime cons are basically becoming even worse than teenage party weekend, now it's teenage party BE AS ANNOYING IN PUBLIC AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF weekend.

The last show I was at was New York Anime Fest and the latest trend is to gather, usually right in the middle of a walkway, in a huge mob and have a "shout war" where one side screams one thing at the top of their lungs and then the other side screams something else, like "NINJAS" and then "PIRATES" and after 10 minutes of this a "winner" is declared. It is absolutely unbearable and the worst part is all these little douchebags sincerely think they're being funny and clever rather than just inhumanly obnoxious and loud. I really hope cons start enforcing SOME kind of public behavior rules banning "shout fights" just as most cons now have a "no signs" rule, the last atrocious social virus to spawn at anime cons.

the last and only con I've gone to, is Anime Boston, and that was back in 06. I was a much nicer person then and i liked more anime then then i do now. The only thing in particular about cons that i like is the merchandise(i hate ordering things on line).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

And here I thought free ride day at the county fair was bad. Wink Maybe I'll stop pondering going to a con someday...or at least not be upset that there are none near me!
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I don't think it's a display of sexual competence, rather just inevitable when you put a bunch of nerdy adolescents in a room together with alcohol.

Fixed that for ya. Alcohol is probably an even larger problem as far as con reputation goes than annoying teenagers. I've stuck around ACen late at night more than once, and you'll get quite a bit of fire/police/ambulance instances as teenagers raid their room bar and get plastered. I've seen younger guys rolled out completely naked.

fighterholic wrote:
Another thing noticeable about the whole teenage party thing is when they have rave dances going on...at Anime Expo for crying out loud.

At ACen 08, I decided to head to their rave. I've never been to one, and I thought I'd step in, look around a bit, step out. However, it was obvious that it wasn't meant to be: the line was long and basically all teenagers, and even standing outside of the building the music was far too loud for my taste. I'd like to see those go, too, if only for the problems they cause and some of the groups they tend to attract. Plus, there's no connection to anime. (For the same reason, I'm annoyed by ACen's "auto show".)

Zac wrote:

I think this is something we can blame sites like 4chan, myspace, and Ebaum's World for. 4chan has its good parts (I'm a regular in /co/), but /b/'s depravity has been turned up to 12 over the past four years, and it's leaked into just about every other portion of the internet with a large teenage presence. For some reason, it's now standard culture for internet-enabled teens that if you can't scream random quotes/memes, you won't be accepted. There are times when these are not only appropriate, but work very well, but not when you're just walking down the hallway (except, perhaps, shouting spoiler[THE GAME], but even that gets way over-used). I also blame parents to an extent, as they seem to be more willing to let their children be "free spirits", feh.

Every generation will have a large amount of obnoxious teenagers that try to garner attention by annoying the most people possible; this generation, it's meme shouts. Last generation, it was the the "penis" game. Next generation, it will hopefully be teens shooting each other in the face.

I still plan on going to cons; right now I'm in the planning for ACen with some friends. However, every year my enjoyment gets less and less; part of this may be that ACen somehow seems to do a WORSE job running the con than the previous year. I did find that, after going to Anime Iowa 2007, I really enjoyed that, and part of it is likely due to the smaller attendance. (I may even volunteer for '09)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9