• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
It certainly dispells the myth that otaku are sexual cretins, however I doubt that most of those predators are otaku, but more opportunists. Wolves in otaku t-shirts, so to speak. Wink

Nerds tend to sleep with other nerds, and 90 percent of the people who show up to these things are teenagers, who are more likely to sleep with eachother.

I don't think it's a display of sexual competence, rather just inevitable when you put a bunch of nerdy adolescents in a room together.
Surely not of mixed gender though? I can relate to school trips where the boys shared a room, but never with the girls as well. So it's the promiscuity that is the myth then?Wink

You have no idea how many mixed gender hotel rooms there are for these cons. First and foremost remember majority of these con goers are the young teens to early 20's crowd. These are NOT high rollers. These are poor ass high school and college students whose first priority is saving a buck. That means cramming 6-8 people in a room built for 4. it's a first come first serve we don't care if you're male, female, black, white, alien, human situation. If a 7 legged crab creature showed up with $50 bucks for a night they'd be welcomed. Then you toss in the rising hormones and opportunities just present themselves almost like a buffet. Add in the "sweet ass raves" at many of the larger cons and you've now got a bunch of horny adolescents dancing up on each other. I've seen more sexual bumping and grinding at Otakon's raves then I have a real club in Baltimore. And at the end of those nights all those kids pack into that same mixed gender room. This is why I started saving up early to get my own room so I didn't have to wake up in the middle of the night to a bunch of nerdy strangers doing it on the dresser in front of my bed while still in their cosplay outfits. No thank you.
In my day these things were done in open fields of mud with the blaring sound of prog rock wailing in the background. I am an old man.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
In my day these things were done in open fields of mud with the blaring sound of prog rock wailing in the background. I am an old man.

Ah, yes - "herbs", Hawkwind, and hormones. Good times, good times... Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yes, and that's why based on this and other threads, I am never likely to attend a major con. 1.) Being perceived as a perverted "old" man, and 2.) Been there, done that (and loved it). Besides, I can't imagine stuck in a convention hall venue compares to summer outdoors with Leon Russell and fields of girls in halter tops Smile. YMMV.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yes, and that's why based on this and other threads, I am never likely to attend a major con. 1.) Being perceived as a perverted "old" man, and 2.) Been there, done that (and loved it). Besides, I can't imagine stuck in a convention hall venue compares to summer outdoors with Leon Russell and fields of girls in halter tops Smile. YMMV.
Mate it was 1970 when I was just a teenager myself, cartoons were for kids, and you were probably just a sweet smile on your mother's face. Wink
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
pparker wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Mate it was 1970 when I was just a teenager myself, cartoons were for kids, and you were probably just a sweet smile on your mother's face. Wink

Ummm... before you say that, you might want to search for Leon Russell's early Oklahoma concert dates. The past gets fuzzy, and was mostly out of focus then anyway, but it could even have been pre-Bangladesh. And I drove to it legally. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Ummm... before you say that, you might want to search for Leon Russell's early Oklahoma concert dates. The past gets fuzzy, and was mostly out of focus then anyway, but it could even have been pre-Bangladesh. And I drove to it legally. Smile
HA! next to abunei, I thought I was the only old git in these parts. You must be older than me if you drove legally back then. 1970 was the year I got my licence.Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
pparker wrote:
HA! next to abunei, I thought I was the only old git in these parts. You must be older than me if you drove legally back then. Laughing

My secret is out... Wink I was legal in 1971.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:

Fees to record label, food & lodging, etc. aside, musical guests are not THE CANCER THAT IS KILLING ANIME CONVENTIONS though.

THE CANCER KILLING THIS THREAD is kinda you though, just saying.

Yeah my one long dissenting post sure did upset everything. I would have happily accepted a counter-argument like Rou9076 that doesn't involve making things up like but I guess the executive editor can only be bothered for one pointless line of snark.

Quote:
Furthermore, I would love to see Dir en grey show up in an anime convention. That would be amusing considering their fanbase are different from the anime fanbase.

Their new American fanbase would probably not show up. =P Their established early 20s female fandom that loved them before they started touring internationally would, because a lot of them used to be anime fans but lost interest/grew out of it.

So there would be a lot of disgruntled, darkly-dressed young women rolling their eyes and complaining about otaku mingling with the ohappy con-going otaku who like Dir en grey (mingling with the excited teenagers who are just going because it's a Japanese band -- again, see L'Arc).

Quote:
Japanese musicians have other options than anime conventions. There are quite a few business companies and industry within the J-rock/pop business actively trying to bring in Japanese bands to North America as much as possibly can.

I'm not aware of any besides J Rock Revolution (which depends entirely on Yoshiki's whims) and the depressingly unsuccessful and now-defunct Tofu Records.

I am happy the groups he introduced were able to go on such widespread tours and that a handful of Japanese musicians are embracing international iTunes stores. Other than those things and the handful of domestic anime-related OST releases, though, fans are still relegated to supporting the artists via expensive imports and concerts at conventions.

If only Sony had tried a little harder with Tofu Records rather than hoping that the albums would sell based on otaku word of mouth alone (most stores would only stock the items if specially requested and even then sometimes they would only order one copy and expect payment up front)...

If only more musicians would settle for doing a small-scale tour of small clubs like The Pillows and Hyde...

...then maybe I wouldn't take the matter of "Get the J Rock out of my anime conventions" so SRSLY.

Dir en grey is the lone exception to the above, which has always been a huge surprise to me since they are kind of an obscure niche group, have very... potentially controversy-stirring lyrics, and are pretty apathetic towards their fans (compared to Gackt, LiN Clover, and Hyde).

I guess a guy cutting himself and spitting blood on his audience transcends borders.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
pparker wrote:
HA! next to abunei, I thought I was the only old git in these parts. You must be older than me if you drove legally back then. Laughing

Alright! Head bangers unite! Wait ! You said you drove legally pre-Bangladesh. the Concert For Bangladesh was in the summer of 1971. You must have just got your licence too then?
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
pparker wrote:
Alright! Head bangers unite! Wait ! You said you drove legally pre-Bangladesh. the Concert For Bangladesh was in the summer of 1971. You must have just got you licence too then?

Well, I said maybe pre-Bangladesh. I honestly don't recall the date of the concert. He could have been riding the post-Bangladesh popularity by then, as he was primarily a studio musician despite recording a lot of gorgeous music on his own. Although touring with the Rolling Stones and writing Grammy-winning songs ain't a bad gig either. I got licensed in 1971 before summer, which is why I said it could be pre-. In any case, yeah, I'm a geezer in this neck of the interwebs. My pony tail has long since turned to dust. Next I'll be ranting that it was "all about the music" back then, and kids today just don't understand. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
My pony tail has long since turned to dust. Next I'll be ranting that it was "all about the music" back then, and kids today just don't understand. Smile
But it was, and it's true, they just don't. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:

Yeah my one long dissenting post sure did upset everything. I would have happily accepted a counter-argument like Rou9076 that doesn't involve making things up like but I guess the executive editor can only be bothered for one pointless line of snark.

Your bizarrely hostile and condescending tone doesn't really deserve much more than that. You even changed your location field to get mad about internet comments, for crepes' sake.

Quote:

I guess a guy cutting himself and spitting blood on his audience transcends borders.

WHOA EDGY
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Quote:

WHOA EDGY
Still doesn't beat Frank Zappa. You never wanted to be in the front row of one of his concerts. Razz
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Your bizarrely hostile and condescending tone doesn't really deserve much more than that. You even changed your location field to get mad about internet comments, for crepes' sake.

I was condescending because people were pulling things out of their butts (concerts cause bad management) and hostile because their arguments (concerts ruin conventions because they attract stupid horny teenagers, J Rock fans should go somewhere else because surely they have other outlets except that they don't, etc.) were incorrect and outright stupid.

I didn't have a location before. I didn't add that solely for the sake of this thread. Since we (probably wisely) do not have signatures, that's the only place for me to make a permanent statement that might be read in my posts elsewhere.

Zac wrote:
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:

WHOA EDGY

Rolling Eyes Oh please, I don't even like Dir en grey -- blood and vomit is their vocalist's MO and has been for years. I was being sarcastic because apparently that flies with American consumers but more normal (and arguably, more talented) Japanese musicians do not.
dabura16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not aware of any besides J Rock Revolution (which depends entirely on Yoshiki's whims) and the depressingly unsuccessful and now-defunct Tofu Records.

There's Jhouserock who tend to bring guests over for Animenext, and used to have Diru and D'espairsray, Cure magazine who has done a few events in the west coast, and the lesser known Tainted Reality. One problem that results in us relying on cons for shows are the (seemingly terrible) management of the bands. There have been multiple attempts at multi-act "fests" but they all seem to collapse just as they are announced, with the exception of the Jrock Revolution fest in 2007.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9