• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Ki•Me•Ra

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Oh my GOD. I started watching this expecting to see some good old fashioned, sci-fi yaoi entertainment, and ended up being scarred for life. I can't think back to this title without a visible shudder. Worse yet, I watched the dub version, so I didn't even get any BL out of it at all. Just a manly looking woman trying to shove her tongue down that guy's throat. Sad

I still to this day have no idea how I sat through the whole thing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
It can be had for 4 bucks on Rightstuf, that price sounds about right for it.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

You're being very generous my friend Anime hyper!
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
They seriously changed the dude to a girl for the dub?

Really?

Ehehehehe, I kinda want to see it just for that.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Really?

Erm...yeah, they were doing that a lot in the 90's. Sailor Moon always pops into my mind whenever I think of any gender-changing characters just for the US. Pokemon didn't necessarily change Jame's gender, but all the homosexual hints about his character totally got thrown out the window. Heaven forbid we ever got exposed to anything even close to resembling homosexuality back then. Thank goodness we've grown.

Last edited by Elves on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Really?

Erm...yeah, they were doing that a lot in the 90's. Sailor Moon always pops into my mind whenever I think of any gender-changing characters just for the US.

Really? I heard they changed a pair of lesbians to cousins, but I never heard anything about the gender of a character being changed.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Really? I heard they changed a pair of lesbians to cousins, but I never heard anything about the gender of a character being changed.

I admit, I'm not a huge Sailor Moon fan and didn't regularly watch the show. But if I'm thinking correctly there were two guy-evildoers (one with purple hair, the other with light blue?) where one of them was being presented as a girl when "she" was really a he (or vice versa - I don't really know which). I think it was nearer to the end of the series. But as I said, I'm not really a big fan, so I could be wrong. But I know this always raises a big stink in the fan circuts.
kamui85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I admit, I'm not a huge Sailor Moon fan and didn't regularly watch the show. But if I'm thinking correctly there were two guy-evildoers (one with purple hair, the other with light blue?) where one of them was being presented as a girl when "she" was really a he (or vice versa - I don't really know which). I think it was nearer to the end of the series. But as I said, I'm not really a big fan, so I could be wrong. But I know this always raises a big stink in the fan circuts.

the blue and purple hair couple were boy and girl, on the other hand on the first season, 2 of the generals were men, and they changed the brown hair one to a girl
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
According to Wikipedia the lesbians turned cousins were Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune.

And I found a past posting here on the ANN forums which also mentions the gender switching I was talking about earlier. They're only boy and girl in the US version, in the original Japanese version they are of the same gender.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Well, thanks a lot, Justin. I had undergone several weeks of therapy to forget this anime years ago, and you had to bring it up today. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, a yaoi OVA I haven't heard of, and based on a Kazuma Kodaka title, no less. It must indeed be pretty dang awful*... Almost makes me want to see it, though (masochism, I guess).

*not because of the KK origin, but the fact that despite the creator's reputation it's been "buried"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

You're being very generous my friend Anime hyper!

Amazon Marketplace has the DVD starting at 90 cents. If you think that's still being too generous, the dubbed VHS starts at 29 cents.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could literally haggle the price down to dirt and rocks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
If you plundered a local Blockbuster's anime selection long enough in the 1990s, you eventually had to watch Kimera. I'll always remember it for making me think "You know, maybe LifeForce wasn't such a terrible movie after all."
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
Elves wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

*Slightly off Topic*

the blue and purple hair couple were boy and girl, on the other hand on the first season, 2 of the generals were men, and they changed the brown hair one to a girl

Egads. Here's a fact check from someone who actually watched both versions of the show.

In Season One of Sailor Moon there were Four Generals. Jedite, Nephrite, Zoicite, and Kunzite (Malachite). (All green gemstones including Queen Beryl). In the original manga NONE of the Generals were homosexual in insinuation or actuality. However for some reason in the anime version Zoicite and Kunzite were insinuated to be together in some way. That is Zoicite refered to Kunzite as 'Kunzite-sama' and was quite effeminate. Zoicite's gender was changed to female for the DIC dub (although 'her' chest is still flat as a board). She had blond hair and he had light blue/gray btw.

In The fourth season of Sailor Moon, Super S There was a member of the Dead Circus named Fish Eye. He was again very effeminate in the original (and even got away with wearing a dress at one point that was very convincing, I was actually surprised to find out this character was originally male). Again for the incident with the dress and an episode involving the romancing of a boy the character was changed to a girl in the dubbed version by Cloverway. His hair was bright aqua blue.

And yes, Haruka (Amara) and Michuru (Micheal?) were pretty much full shoujo ai level in the Japanese version. If you watch Sailor Stars (or even the SuperS tv special) this is made painfully obvious. This was again altered into a really close cousin affection in the dub, which incidentally just made it creepy in it's own way. Haruka thankfully stayed 100% female. (Don't even get me started on the Sailor Starlights Anime hyper).
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, how could I forget this? I rented this from Blockbuster back years ago. I still remember seeing it on the shelf, picking it up along with grave of the Fireflies.

Needless to say I was a very sad child. I remember thinking Kimera was cool because it made me feel more adult like. spoiler[didn't someone get raped or have sex?]

I watched it again recently, (about two years ago) and didn't even make it through ten minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5