• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Blood: The Last Vampire Teaser Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sucks it wont be released in the US....
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
If they don't release this here, and we get stuck with Chun Li, my prior rant about Hollywood's racism against Asians will be validated. This sucker looks way more awesome than DBE, and I don't even care about the series! Anyway, since I still have yet to see "My Sassy Girl", I'm curious to hear Sakechan's opinion on the teaser.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Universal picked up the rights, and I hope to god they are reading this, because I want to see this in the theatres. It should be shown in it's original form as well. Please. Look at Passion of the Christ! There was no English in that movie! Plus, why all the hate on Asians? There are a lot of movie with Spanish languages in them, how about Asians? Are we not important too?
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Man this looks awesome! I just hope that its released in the US, either as a special event or as a DVD release. They better sub it and not do an English dub. One thing I hate is Live Action dubs, it doesn't matter how good the dub is it just doesn't feel right.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I wanna see it released here, too, but I'm still waitin' for the R1 dvd of Dacascos Crying Freeman announced five years ago, as well as Fist of the Blue Sky and Zaizen Jotaro, since Universal owns those, too. I'm actually surprised the company was interested in this stuff at all, since they licensed the LA Dororo and all, even though they haven't stated an interest in a remake. Anyway, it's nice to know the director might have redeemed himself after Kiss of the Dragon; but then that film likely sucked, due to Besson's hack writing. Nahon probably deserves credit for that "Bourne camera" action everyone seems to like, though, since that kind of shooting was in there long before Bourne.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I think this is starting to look really good. I hope that it DOES get released here in theatres at the very least I hope I want to be able to pick it up on DVD/BD.

Also I completely agree, dubbing just DOES NOT work AT ALL with live action films.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If they don't release this here, and we get stuck with Chun Li, my prior rant about Hollywood's racism against Asians will be validated.

GATSU wrote:
I wanna see it released here, too, but I'm still waitin' for the R1 dvd of Dacascos Crying Freeman announced five years ago, as well as Fist of the Blue Sky and Zaizen Jotaro, since Universal owns those, too.

If I understand your scorecard correctly:
Street Fighter with half-Chinese actress playing Chinese role: Racism
Crying Freeman with quarter-Japanese actor playing Japanese role: Not racism
Memoirs of a Geisha with Chinese actress playing Japanese role: Racism
Blood: The Last Vampire with Korean actress playing Japanese role: Not racism
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
GATSU wrote:
If they don't release this here, and we get stuck with Chun Li, my prior rant about Hollywood's racism against Asians will be validated.

GATSU wrote:
I wanna see it released here, too, but I'm still waitin' for the R1 dvd of Dacascos Crying Freeman announced five years ago, as well as Fist of the Blue Sky and Zaizen Jotaro, since Universal owns those, too.

Possible spoiler reply about the last line...
spoiler[
Technically Saya isn't Japanese.]
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

Possible spoiler reply about the last line...
spoiler[
Technically Saya isn't Japanese.]

Point taken. Smile In that case, she falls in the same broad category as spoiler[Superman and Son Goku].
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Street Fighter with half-Chinese actress playing Chinese role: Racism Crying Freeman with quarter-Japanese actor playing Japanese role: Not racism

Actually, the white guy playing Bison is racist. But they certainly didn't pick Kreuk because she could fight. Rolling Eyes As for Dacascos, they picked him for his build and his MA experience, which is probably more necessary for the role than his ethnicity.

Quote:
Memoirs of a Geisha with Chinese actress playing Japanese role: Racism Blood: The Last Vampire with Korean actress playing Japanese role: Not racism

Sawa only has a Japanese name, but isn't necessarily a Japanese character, given that she's a vampire first, and a person belonging to a particular country second. But the geisha are Japanese.

Quote:
In that case, she falls in the same broad category as spoiler[Superman and Son Goku].

No one bought Superman as black in that "death of" cash-in, and no one will buy Son Goku as white. It's not like the time they cast Duncan as Kingpin in Daredevil, where the original guy is such a caricature of a real mafioso, that it doesn't matter who you cast.
When you bring up Goku and Supes, fans have a particular image of those characters.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that looks good and Ji-hyun looks sooo cool~ *_*
It's good to see her doing an action flick.

I would love to see this one on the big screen.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Street Fighter with half-Chinese actress playing Chinese role: Racism Crying Freeman with quarter-Japanese actor playing Japanese role: Not racism

Actually, the white guy playing Bison is racist. But they certainly didn't pick Kreuk because she could fight. Rolling Eyes As for Dacascos, they picked him for his build and his MA experience, which is probably more necessary for the role than his ethnicity.

Before, you claimed that Chun Li's casting was racist. But if you're not claiming that anymore, that's cool. But, where is it stated that Bison (U.S. character name) is not white? Dacascos apparently gets a pass despite his ethnicity, while other films with other actors don't get a pass despite similar circumstances.

Quote:
Quote:
Memoirs of a Geisha with Chinese actress playing Japanese role: Racism Blood: The Last Vampire with Korean actress playing Japanese role: Not racism

Sawa only has a Japanese name, but isn't necessarily a Japanese character, given that she's a vampire first, and a person belonging to a particular country second. But the geisha are Japanese.

Do you see how you argued against this same reasoning when it was Son Goku?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Before, you claimed that Chun Li's casting was racist. But if you're not claiming that anymore, that's cool.

Actually, it is racist, because they can't cast someone who doesn't look totally Asian as a lead. BS has been goin' on since Carradine.

Quote:
But, where is it stated that Bison is not white?

Um, he hides out in Thailand. But ok, assuming I accept your argument, he's still not a tall, thin, blonde guy, either.

Quote:

Did they replace Goku with an Asian guy all of a sudden?
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Universal picked up the rights, and I hope to god they are reading this, because I want to see this in the theatres. It should be shown in it's original form as well. Please. Look at Passion of the Christ! There was no English in that movie! Plus, why all the hate on Asians? There are a lot of movie with Spanish languages in them, how about Asians? Are we not important too?

Technically the original animated movie was originally in English (for the most part) with about 30 percent of it actually being in Japanese. The live-action movie is suppose to be mostly in English like the original animated film (with some other languages as reported).

Looks pretty awesome. Hopefully Universal will announce a released date already
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Before, you claimed that Chun Li's casting was racist. But if you're not claiming that anymore, that's cool.

Actually, it is racist, because they can't cast someone who doesn't look totally Asian as a lead. BS has been goin' on since Carradine.

Yet you give a pass to Dacascos when, by your thinking, they should have casted a full-Japanese actor with the same skills. There's a discrepancy here.

Quote:
Quote:
But, where is it stated that Bison is not white?

Um, he hides out in Thailand.

Hiding out in Thailand makes someone not white?

Quote:
Quote:

Did they replace Goku with an Asian guy all of a sudden?

No, but you pointed out that Saya doesn't have a human ethnicity by definition, so it's a moot point there. So why draw the line at Son Goku?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3