• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Diamond to No Longer Restock 1,018 Viz Items

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Well Diamond can go to hell. I'm just glad claymore wasn't on the list.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
Diamond's problems must be even more serious than I'd previously thought.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Guess I should order the Cheeky Angel volumes I don't have yet (that aren't in stock locally). Comic shop re-orders are faster and cheaper than bookstore re-orders here (assuming Diamond still has stock).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Dimond has been quite greedy recently, so with all due civility, they did cause some of these problems themselves.

I am just glad Bleach and Dr. Slump aren't on the list.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
Well that's not ok. At least fullmetal, bleach, black lagoon, and Reborn weren't on the list
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, comic shops can find an affordable alternative to keep back catalogue items in stock. I'm wondering if this is just VIZ-specific, or if we'll be seeing similar fates for other companies lowerselling items in back catalogues.....

This does really bite, as Diamond's back catalogue system was VERY convienent, easy and money saving [no shipping costs for you, took as long as mail order, pay when it arrives], and it's a shame it's no longer available. I suppose with so many people buying manga in bookstores, it wasn't as heavily used as stuff from their Premier Publishers [Marvel/Image/DC/DarkHorse], so Diamond decided to shift it out.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Damn, there's a few series in there that have been on my long-term list for a while. I hope I'll still be able to get ahold of them sometime. I did notice at Borders last night when I picked up Boys Over Flowers volume 34 that the rest of the series was mysteriously missing. Either they pulled the volumes off the shelves or someone else saw this list and bought 'em all up in a mad dash to not miss the stock. Either way, this sort of blows for Viz. I know most of the volumes were older ones, but it will be much harder for them to get new people interested in long-running manga series if the earlier volumes are no longer stocked.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a kick in the teeth. Oh, wait, it's Diamond. Rolling eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
After reading about Tokyopop's distribution issues and now Viz, I'm beginning to suspect more of an issue with Diamond as opposed to the publishers.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
For all the things that Diamond should be disliked for this is not one of them. People are seeming to forget that Diamond is a business not a charity and keeping some of these titles would amount to charity. At the present pricing level of manga the target it around 600 books a month worldwide. The titles that are being dropped have been under the sales target for more then 3 months, one or even two months does not get you dropped.

In the Month of December the highest selling manga was Naruto Vol. 33 a new release selling 5,425 at $7.95 a book. The lowest manga on the monthly 300 was You Will Fall In Love selling 470 books at $12.99 is under by 11 books a month an amount that Diamond will more then likely let slide.

Viz Diamonds largest manga company Viz makes up .94% of Diamonds top 300 comic + TPB list (where the money is) in terms of dollars. The back catalog for Viz is one of the largest and most expensive to keep, somewhere around 10% of the total volume. In comparison Marvel accounts for 50.21% of the top 300 and has less then 2% back catalog.

Comic shops have basically stopped ordering back items unless they are asked for, heck most shops only order what they hove on their pull lists. With maybe one or two Superman, Batman, Spiderman or Uncanny X-Men but that is all.

With the higher level of competition with the big bookstores and the internet other then the very high volume manga it simply isn't profitable for them to be in the back order business. Which is what they have been saying for years now.

If you want to complain about their poor service complain about the Spiderman #583 mess that came about. The manga companies could use Haven but they don't really want to due to its smaller reach as well as the fact that Haven works on consignment.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Jeez laweez. No matter what the cause, this can't be a good thing.
Quote:
OCT053367 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST VOL 2 NOVEL (C: 1-0-0) $9.99
FEB063395 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST VOL 3 NOVEL (C: 1-0-0) $9.99
JUL073948 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST VOL 4 NOVEL (C: 1-0-0) $9.99
SEP074064 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST VOL 5 NOVEL #5 (C: 1-0-0) $9.99

Gah! Dammit all! Those're the vols. I don't have yet! How'm I s'posed to get 'em all and still save for ACen?

Sheesh. And there're so many others, too. I'd heard that Kekkaishi and Midori Days were good series. Does this mean I'll never get the chance to read 'em? Anime cry
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
As long as Rightstuf.com doesn't go the way of Diamond, I am safe getting my back order manga. Hopefully, Rightstuf is doing great because I wouldn't know where to buy the newest releases of manga. Since, Borders don't carry them anymore. All this means is that people will turn to scanlation for their manga needs.

Last edited by sdhd on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I stocked up on Kekkaishi during Right Stuf's sale. They didn't carry vol. 13 for some reason, so I was planning to buy it from Borders... I better hurry. Sad
Grico

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Not that big of a deal functionally in terms of getting older books, as long as you are willing to buy online. While they won't be re-orderable at comic shops, their still is ample supply for most of these titles through online merchants of anime and places like amazon, deep discount, and half.com. And usually at less than retail.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Borders, B&N and other big chains DO NOT order through Diamond. Neither does Amazon or Right Stuf. There are plenty of other ways to get these titles, and the bookstores do way more manga sales than comic book stores, which is who Diamond primarily sells through. No need to panic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3