• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gallery - Mike Majestic

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasmaFire3000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Original mecha artists are quite a rare breed today, as many of the "big ideas" and general design styles have seemingly been covered over the past few decades, and so many modern shows now appear more derivative than innovative. No kidding, mechanical design is very hard stuff to learn (it takes years of practice and a lot of active studying to become proficient), but the intellectual and visual payoff is immense. Glad to see people are still here to overcome the misconceptions and copycat influences to make something fresh; we need them to help break today's "over-Gundamized," overly-angst-powered plotlines.

Superb work, Mike. Keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VulnePro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought I'd drop in and reply to your post because you bring up a lot of good points. I would have concur that a lot of ground has been covered well regarding the visual look and thematic ideas concerning mecha (one could really say all genres, humans have been telling the same seven story types for ages). Many shows are getting quite formulaic and as you noted yourself, Gundam has really dominated everything and if it's not Gundam it's Eva. And here in lies the another small challenge, folks are more comfortable with comparison (and this is understandable human nature) so go in a certain direction of exploration (such as living weapons) and you're now doing Eva or whatever derivative of that comes to mind in their eyes. Eva cast one immense shadow on the genre as well.

I'm simply far more interested in exploring something new visually and thematically otherwise I see little point in proceeding. I work hard to serve the story I'm telling in a with hopefully a unique perspective on art direction and some fresh narratives. I really do think there's still room to say something new and exciting with the genre. Ultimately I think the fans out there want to see something really entertaining and fresh so the efforts are indeed worth it.

Thanks a ton for the kind words and comments. All very good points.
ladyvoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Great artist this week!
On a totally different note, I'd like to request an artist for your collumn. Her pen name is Rem, and here's her website: http://www.blackmoontides.com/main.php
She's really talented, and I hope that she gets the amount of recognition that she deserves. Smile
VulnePro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen her work before, so I'm glad you posted this Ladyvoid because I have to agree that it's fantastic stuff. I wholeheartedly concur, Evan you should check her site out. She has a really appealing character style and her color work is soft and full of appeal as well.

I also want to give a big thanks to all of you who visited my DA gallery, dropped watches, favs, etc!

And thank you, as well, for the kind compliment Ladyvoid, I appreciate it Smile

Cheers!
marklungo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Mike was interviewed. He's been doing great work for years, and he deserves more recognition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1