• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: New Generation Pictures and Street Fighter IV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The inclusion of New Generation and talents like Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham and Taleisen Jaffe has boosted my opinion of this game.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Lia Sargent isn't voicing Chun-Li boosted my opinion of this game. Now I'm not saying that I think she's a bad actress, but her voice as Chun-Li in all of the past animated versions came off very weak sounding. That said, I'm looking forward to the day I can get hold of this game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Is the OVA an exclusive to the game like KOF, or did someone else license it?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
The fact that Lia Sargent isn't voicing Chun-Li boosted my opinion of this game. Now I'm not saying that I think she's a bad actress, but her voice as Chun-Li in all of the past animated versions came off very weak sounding. That said, I'm looking forward to the day I can get hold of this game.

I've already been playing the game for a while. Voices aren't too different. Neutral

And to think, Lia Sargent said Chun-Li was her favorite role. But you don't have to worry about her now: like that fireball above Texas, after ablaze of voice roles, she vanished from the scene just as instantly.
beansy99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Is the OVA an exclusive to the game like KOF, or did someone else license it?

The OVA is sold with the Collectors Edition (limited print run) copies of the game only. The X360 version comes with a "game video" disc that works in the console only, while the PS3 version is on a Blu-ray. The CE runs $80.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Great interview.

It's awesome that NGP produced the English track for the game and the OVA. They are, by far, one of my favorite dubbing studios. It's too bad they haven't had as many anime projects lately. But I happy to know they've fielded plenty of work in video games and will continue to do so in the future.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Great interview.

It's awesome that NGP produced the English track for the game and the OVA. They are, by far, one of my favorite dubbing studios. It's too bad they haven't had as many anime projects lately. But I happy to know they've fielded plenty of work in video games and will continue to do so in the future.

Unfortunately it seems that anime is all about being fast and cheap, which I guess is why NGP and Zro Limit (my personal favorites as far as doing good English voiceover work) don't seem to get much work there. I recall a previous interview with Jonathan Klein about how NGP would be opening dubbing studios in China, but I'm not sure if anything they made has actually used those facilities yet. I could swear it was an ANN interview, but I wasn't seeing the link in the Interviews section.

The revelation that he didn't "get" Dan is interesting, since I think the dub voice of Dan isn't good at all. Fortunately, you can switch between the English and Japanese voices per character. I, having spent nearly 20 years playing Street Fighter since part 1, have to set it all to Japanese since that's just what I'm used to at this point. I know they're not all the same Japanese voice actors as always, but who am I to say no to Norio Wakamoto and Akio Ohtsuka?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
For now, the CE Edition on PS3 is the only way to get the SFIV anime on Blu-Ray.

(Forget about SF3 -- it's very clear from the new anime and game that Capcom is ignoring SF3 and continuing story continuity from SF Alpha and SF II. SF3 just doesn't enter the equation anymore and certain elements like a certain offspring aren't present in the new anime. This is good or bad depending on your opinion of SF3. I think overall SF3 was mediocre Street Fighter at best. Better than the EX series, yes, but not as good as the SF Alpha series.)

Heck, even the Japanese PS3 edition didn't get a Blu-Ray. Their pre-orders got an anime DVD! It seems to be only the American CE's are getting hi-def quality copies of the new anime (unless confirmed otherwise). It's only the American PS3 that gets Blu-Ray (FOR the anime -- I'm a PS3 owner and am aware every PS3 game has been released on BD!) as far as I know.

(And yes, for the second time, the Blu-Ray is really better format for the film than a game disc. It's great both PS3 and XBox 360 get hi-def quality copies of the anime, but you can only play the 360 disc in a 360...)

It's a decent anime, better quality than the last SF anime I saw (the first Alpha) but by no means as good as SF II: The Animated Movie. I'm glad that the same studio that did the hand-drawn cutscenes for SF IV was hired to do the new anime. At least there is consistency in the drawing ad the animation, if not spectacular, was competent.

The game itself is possibly the best-looking polygonal presentation of SF and probably the best SF game since the Alpha series. (Here's hoping Capcom does Darkstalkers IV SOON in the same style!) Definitely better in my opinion than the SF3 games and certainly the EX series. The control is crisp and solid but there were a couple of changes I didn't like.

I still don't like have to push two buttons together to do throws. I didn't like the inclusion of the SF3 "grading system" and most of the new characters aren't that good although C. Viper may grow on me.

The CPU AI seems to be cheap and I would rate it as a "harder-level" SF game even at medium difficulty setting. This is a game you might want to play against a human opponent rather than CPU most of the time.

I'm playing it with a Saturn USB pad (they were sold about 5 years ago in Japan and are compatible with PC and Mac OS X --- the PS3 compatibility is a big surprise to me) since I know the MadCatz pads are junk and the quality joysticks won't be in-stock for a while. Luckily, I pre-ordered a Tournament Edition and I am getting it according to the gamestore. The Saturn USB works fine but you have to futz with it to assign the right buttons for Heavy Kick and Heavy Punch. I also tried an adapter for non-USB controllers and ironically the Saturn pad for PS2 is the second-best working digital controller for the game! The regular Saturn pad, alas, is wired a bit differently and although it WILL control all punches and kicks you can't pause the game with it.

(The TE sticks are being vended through MadCatz in the States but are made with ARCADE-quality parts and should last a long time and play well in the mean-time. Your other option is the Hori Real Arcade Pro Stick with real arcade parts, too, but imports for sticks are ridiculously outrageous and end up costing $100 more than the retail US for the TE sticks. People bitching about the $150 price-tag on the TE's should realize the Japanese-equivalent are at least $250 with shipping (!) -- and the US-branded sticks are pretty sold out at this point. This game is VERY, VERY big now!)

The lack of a select button on the USB Saturn pad isn't a big deal. You can still pause with the Start button and use the A and B buttons to make selections in the game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And to think, Lia Sargent said Chun-Li was her favorite role. But you don't have to worry about her now: like that fireball above Texas, after ablaze of voice roles, she vanished from the scene just as instantly.

Wow where did she go to anyway? I realized just now that Lia hasn't been on the game/anime scene in quite some time now.

As for TJ voicing Blanka, is he going to make him speak or just snarl and grunt the whole time? I know canonically Dan taught Blanka to speak English, so I'm curious.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
This CE edition of SF IV is the first game LE release that I've felt was worth it.

Let's break down the costs by what you could expect to pay for these things separately in Japan:

a) Game disc - $60 = one of the few things that costs generally the same as the US
b) Game Soundtrack = $25-$30 average cost for a CD in Japan, although I've seen singles as high as $40 online (new; not out-of-print or used -- they can go much higher for rare CD titles)
c) Street Fighter VI anime: The Ties That Bind = easily $50, if not more; $60-$70 through an import shop; that's average for an anime DVD; Blu-Rays generally cost $10 extra on top of that cost in Japan
d) Ryu/Crimson Viper figurines = $10-$15; they're small and plastic; doubt they'd be more than this
e) Ryu headband (exclusive pre-order extra at GameStop) = $3-$5; I doubt it'd cost more than that; it probably cost something like $0.25-$0.35 at some sweatshop!

As you can see, just a)-c) is going to set you back well over $100 in Japan... This isn't even as bad as the disparity between joystick prices in Japan and the US. People complaining about expense ought to really check these things out.

Sure not complaining about it on my end. I'm satisfied with what I got and am glad I have a controller that works well with the game.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The inclusion of New Generation and talents like Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham and Taleisen Jaffe has boosted my opinion of this game.

However i have a feeling it's just the anime version of street fighter 4,Not the game,though it would be interesting is it was,but kinda doubt it after devil may cry was poed cause JYB (aka Ichigo) was Nero for Devil May Cry 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

However i have a feeling it's just the anime version of street fighter 4,Not the game,though it would be interesting is it was,but kinda doubt it after devil may cry was poed cause JYB (aka Ichigo) was Nero for Devil May Cry 4.

Uh.. did you read the interview? They're the voices for both the anime OVA and the game itself.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Lots of stuff coming with the limited edition, which is cool. So SF3 is officially no longer canon? Eh...no offense, but the SF story wasn't much to worry about in the first place. It's all about the fighting, to be honest. Though damn them, because Elena was... well...

Yeah, anyway, the new game oughta be fun. I wonder who else is pumped for the fact that Gouken is finally playable.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
SFIII is still canon. Chun-Li's anime prologue even has Yun and Yang. SFIV just takes place in between II and III. And note that by III, I mean Second Impact and Third Strike - much like with the Street Fighter Alpha series, the story of the first game is overwritten by the second game, which is actually what the first game was intended to be had it not fallen victim to deadlines.

This is the complete Street Fighter timeline as of now (for specifics, refer to the Street Fighter Plot Guide on GameFAQs, it's been meticulously researched for years - keep in mind the SFIV specifics are still being worked on, although the date is solid):

Saturday Night Slam Masters (early 80's, likely 1981)
Ring of Destruction: Slam Masters II (early 80's, likely 1982)
Street Fighter (1987)
Final Fight (1987)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1987-1989)
Final Fight 2 (1988)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1989-1990)
Final Fight 3 (1991?)
Street Fighter II (1993)
Street Fighter IV (1994)
Street Fighter III: Second Impact (1998)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike (1999)
Final Fight Streetwise (2006?)

Give or take Night Warriors (1983, overwrites Darkstalkers), Vampire Savior/DarkStalkers 3 (1999), and Captain Commando (2026). The former two are unlikely (although they don't directly conflict with anything, as far as I know), the latter takes place in Metro City and features Geki, a ninja trained in the Bushin Ninjitsu style that Guy uses. Rival Schools apparently can't fit in based on what we know about it (takes place in "19XX", but Sakura hasn't met Ryu yet + her blood type is listed as being different, and maybe some other changes I'm forgetting). Of course, that's how it stands right now, and it could certainly be changed later for all we know.

Last edited by Captain Crotchspike on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
Nice breakdown, there, Cap...but hey, most people don't play fighting games for a comprehensible or well-written story, right? *Eyes the Soul Calibur series skeptically*

Still, I'm getting this game tomorrow (or today, where I am it's 3 AM...whatever), so I totally can't wait!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2