• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Tokyopop Manga Titles Listed by Amazon.ca

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
How many .hack series's are there? Is that series still as popular as it was years ago?

I hope these new titles will help Tokyo Pop get back on its feet, its had a long battle with money already.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
So I guess Maria Holic vol. 2 is for Taiwan then? Darn D:

Funny I just got an email from amazon about this Very Happy
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Well the Maria Holic anime has been good so far, so maybe I'll pick up the manga (the show seems kind of iffy for a stateside license, anyway).

And Tokyopop...it's cool that you are licensing new manga and picking up the pieces and all, so please resurrect Suppli!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:

Em, we've already got volume 2 since last July.

(Click on the cover picture for more info)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
If these are released in the US, there are some titles I'm definitely interested in. Harlem Beat wa Toaki Made, the cracky and not quite boys love story, by the talented artist Kazusa Takashima; Maria Holic by Dazzle's mangaka Minari Endo, and Mikansei by Majiko! who did St. Lunatic High School which I enjoyed a lot for THE CUTE.
Hikari06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
Maria Holic? Oh boy, nothing like a little misogyny and homophobia to get me through the day. The art for the anime and manga itself is nice, but the story sucks. It's basically about a lesbian named Kanako who enrolls in an all-girls' school to find a girlfriend, and the kicker is, she hates men and gets hives if one touches her. She then falls under the control of a girl named Mariya, who's actually a sadistic cross-dressing guy (one example of his winning behavior: having his maid pour gasoline on Kanako and threatening her with a lighter for backtalking). But despite Mariya's asinine treatment of her ("Why do you need to dump gasoline on a chaste girl like me so early in the morning?" "You, a god damned lesbian, can be considered chaste?"), there are moments when it looks like Kanako is "falling" for him. Ugh. So basically, it's a story about a guy treating a girl like crap for comedy, and a lesbian being "cured" of her lesbianisn (caused by, of course, her fear of guys Rolling Eyes ), which looks like it's pointing to her ending up with the guy who treats her like crap. Fun for the whole family!
Stullz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
I haven't found out who has it yet, but I've heard that Maria+Holic has already been licensed (anime) its on an anime licensed list over at a certain subbing site.

ps. That series is hilarious to me, and opening animation is nuts.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
I've been encasing my Asukas in plastic & perusing them as I do so & was wishing someone would pick up Mad Love Chase just this weekend, although I've been hoping someone would pick up Odagiri's Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru even longer

Of course, it would be nice if TP would finish what they started. As the company stands, one really wonders if they can be trusted to finish any title more than 2 volumes long.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:

Em, we've already got volume 2 since last July.

(Click on the cover picture for more info)

I was wondering if they were american releases, I did look at the Maria+Holic page in the encyclopedia, and I saw that Taiwan had vol. 2 so I assumed it wasn't american releases, rather just releases. I'm still kind of confused though, but I'll admit my mistake (though I'm still unsure of what it is D: )
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall reading Mad Love Chase (Harlem Beat wa Toaki Made) in scanalation form, but anything by Kazusa Takashima is an automatic purchase for me (even if, as LKK above said, it's apparently "not quite boys love").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
They got ALCOR! THEY GOT ALCOR! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
although I've been hoping someone would pick up Odagiri's Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru even longer

Why DMP/June which has a history of licensing Hotaru Odagiri's works hasn't picked up Uragiri yet is beyond my understanding. Athough June wouldn't be my first choice as a publisher for the series, it seems like a natural license for June to me.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Zomg, moar .hack?! Yaaaaaay! 8D~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I don't recall reading Mad Love Chase (Harlem Beat wa Toaki Made) in scanalation form, but anything by Kazusa Takashima is an automatic purchase for me (even if, as LKK above said, it's apparently "not quite boys love").

According to Baka manga updates, Takashima put all her BL on hiatus after the lawsuit. This one runs in Asuka which has shojo & BL-ish stuff(BL Lite? BL hinted?) DNAngel & KKM run in it. I believe Neo Angelique just ended. I was going to drop my subscription because KKM is licensed now, but then I remembered Odagiri's title. Asuka usually has a freebie so I've snagged some pencilboards, calendars or posters related to KKM, DNAngel & Uragiri.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
There are some nice titles there, but I can't bring myself to really trust Tokyopop to bring them out, seeing as they've dropped so much lately. =(
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2