• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Justin Chatwin: Dragonball Film Sequel Already Written

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rascalking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
booooo
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
That's what I hate about purists, they're never frickin happy unless a adaptation of something is absolutely perfect.

In any case, they've already started advertising the movie on Jetix UK and I'll definitely be seeing it on the first day of release [and I'm surprised we're getting to see it 5 days before the Americans unless this is being released early for the Easter holidays but then again I'm not complaining as I think it looks pretty good]

As for the trolls, why can't you waste your energy on something more creative than slag off a movie which may get good reviews or may get bad reviews... How do you know this movie is going to be a good movie or a crap movie unless you have the power of time travel or are psychic or have seen the movie in advance... [/sarcasm]
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
I'm actually somewhat excited by the new trailer. Before, it was kind of "meh, this could be decent", but now I think it has the potential to pull something of a Transformers and be pretty dang good.

If nothing else, we'll get to see a big screen Kamehameha. Very Happy

AH HA HA HA, HA HA HA HA, HA...oh wait...you were being...serious?

Confused

Sorry, I just can't picture this being nearly as fun or having the kinds of gee-whiz special FX of Revenge of the Fallen...

Notice I said "has the potential". Wink I'm still not completely sold, but I'm certainly not going to rule out the possibility of it being a lot of fun to watch.

I don't really think it's going to blow people away like Transformers did, but I do think it's going to be better than all the haters seem to think.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Unit: Pro-tip: Bayformers is neither good nor fun.

Tatsu: DB: E will bomb for the opposite reason of Speed Racer, which is that, in its attempt to be all-pleasing, it won't appeal to anyone.

Teriyaki: Pay no attention to the ventriloquist's dummy. Rolling Eyes

Yueh: Don't underestimate Hannah Montana. Those fangirls dominated that box office last year and will probably kill Chun Li when they stampede to the Jonas Bros. flick. Fast and Furious 4 could go either way, but it might end up being number 1, just because it gives the fans what they want more than DB:E. Watchmen will probably open up big, because of the trailer, and then drop off fast the next weekend. As for The Matrix, it did well, because of Keanu and Yuen Woo Ping; DB:E has neither of those things. And its potential ace in the hole, Stephen Chow, ends up being relegated to suggestion guy. (Because he's Asian, and didn't blow Chris Carter.)

Borgman: I'd be happy if DB:E had anything to do with the series, but it has more to do with that live-action HK version of DB.
Razz
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they're really confident on how the first one will do. If they already have the sequel written, this movie might be good. ^ _ ^ (strong hopes)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Unit: Pro-tip: Bayformers is neither good nor fun.

Man, he's so full of love that I can't contain it, myself. Trust me, Revenge of the Fallen will likely be far far far better than half the popcorn flicks this summer. It has giant robots, the other movies don't.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Unit: Dude, Bayformers makes M.D. Geist look intellectual by comparison. And the sequel's going to be fun if you want a remake of Stargate, but not if you want a good LA Transformers movie.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
This is all assuming that it will actually make its money back from this first movie, which, by judging what it will be competing again, won't do. If there is a sequel, I am sure it will be a direct to dvd release as this movie isn't only bashed among our fellow Otaku, but the film geeks as well. Also take in mind, there has been nothing good said about this movie yet.

Really?
According to Yahoo on 4/3 Fast & Furious; Alien Trespass; Paris 36 & Sugar open. on 4/8 there's DBE. on 4/10 there's Hannah Montana & Observe & report so what's the competition? Watchmen will be a month old by then--well past the box office rush. Depending on the film itself, it might still have legs or not by then, but nowadays movies are gone pretty fast. The conventional wisdom I've heard is the first week is the must see fans, the 2nd is the ones wanting to miss the crowd of the must sees & it filters out from there. Yeah, given the fanbase, I don't doubt Watchment will still have viewers, but I've been wondering if it's such a hot film, why was it put out in a pretty dead period for movies? THe Matrix was viewed by many at the time as being rather early for a summer flick. DBE I can see being released at a pretty quiet time. Hannah Montana will presumably have a fairly large young female audience while DBE should attract more males. I know I plan on trying to see it as soon as it opens, but our schedules are pretty hectic anymore so I might have to wait

Are you serious? Hannah Montana will KILL Dragonball: Evolution in the theatres. I'm not even exaggerating, unfortunately... And, with the old cast of Fast & The Furious, that also will dig into DB:E's ticket sales. Take in mind that all 3 of these will also have toys out at the same time and I can guarantee that Hannah Montana's sales will be much higher than that of the DB:E movie line. I am almost certain that F&F toy sales will also be higher, unfortunately. Cars do tend to sell more in the toy aisle... Lackluster toy and ticket sales will definitely halt in a big budget sequel. Now, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see a good live action Dragon Ball... but, for what I've already seen on Dragonball: Evolution, it is not the movie I, along with 95% of the anime to live action hopefuls, want to see.
sdhd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I have not read any of Dragon Ball series or watched the anime. I am looking forward to the movie.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hannah Montana won't get that much revenue. After all, the demographics for each are polar opposites, and the demographic for DB:E, mainly guys of most ages and families, tends to gross more than the general demographic for Hannah Montana, mostly girls not yet out of Middle School and the occasional family. It's the Fast and the Furious you need to be worried about, as they appeal to similar demographics.

kakoishii wrote:

Yeah X-Men had a trilogy because the adaption was not as loosely based as DBE. X3 which was notably the worst of the 3 movies will most likely stand leagues above what DBE will accomplish. There's also the fact that the comic nerds didn't pretty much unanimously hate the X-men films, which is the opposite outlook from the DB otakus. You can't even compare the to in the end.

Let's face it there isn't really much of anyone who wants to see this. The movie nerds don't want to see it because they think it looks like crap, the otaku don't want to see it because they've alienated them by changing almost ever aspect of the source that made it DB, and casual movie goers and children will probably pass this up for something else. It's not looking too good at all.

This almost made me laugh. Look, for the first point, X-Men was even FARTHER off from the original source material than DB:E is. Look, many of the characters appear at different times at different ages simultaneously, Lady Deathstrike is completely different, and the Pheonix is vastly different from the original version. Not to mention none of the characters wear their original uniforms, Rogue has a name and isn't Mystique's daughter, etc. The reason X-Men did well is because it was a great film on its own. Compared to DB:E's variations, namely Grandpa Gohan being alive and Goku being in high school, there really isn't much to complain about.

And furthermore, the original Transformers was not as well received by fans as you'd like to believe, and yet it made a lot of money. Why, may you ask? Because it too deviated from the source material. Not only that, but, because Michael Bay's name was attached, the film geeks disregarded it as stupid. The fact of the matter is it that otaku and film geeks AREN'T THE ONLY PEOPLE WATCHING THE FILM!!! Look, ordinary folk will flock to any action film if nothing else is around, and the competition really isn't that great. Besides, many people regard DB with nostalgia, and, if they don't go just to hate on the movie, they will go to love it. Let's face it: casual fans didn't see the set photos or stuff like that that the otaku or film geeks did. They'll only see the finished result, and, probably, be blown away by it because we didn't see Dragonball Evolution evolve. Anime smile (Teehee...made a pun...)
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Cool, something to look forward to. I may not see much of my old favorite show in the trailers so far, but I hope to at least see a half decent action movie that uses some familiar names. Even if I do cringe through some of it. Anime hyper

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Seriously Chatwin, do you earnestly belive this movie will be so popular and sell well that a sequel is warented? As if the first movie wasn't horriable enough.

Haha, well. It' one thing to say the movie will be horrible, which is understandable, but it's another thing to say that it was horrible. Unless you've seen an early screening?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Do what I will do, and I suggest all do this as well: buy a ticket for some other movie, and then walk into the Dragonball theater.

I'm just curious... why? You're willing to go spend (waste?) two or so hours of your life, and even pay for it, so why bother making sure the money goes to some other movie? Is it because you don't want them to make a sequel, thus forcing you to spend another two or so hours watching a movie?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Da Game: Are you kidding? Hanna Montana killed an Alba movie and Rambo, while Twilight beat a Bond flick. As for X-Men, they appear at different ages in the comics, too, depending on which story you're reading. And they do occasionally wear special suits in the training room. As for Transformers, it was actually more successful due to fanboys than to general audiences, since the latter group is not geeky enough to embrace that kind of thing, while the fanboys think Beast Wars is a masterpiece. Rolling Eyes And no American really likes DB the way they do Z; so that's already going to screw up this movie's box office.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Da Game: Are you kidding? Hanna Montana killed an Alba movie and Rambo, while Twilight beat a Bond flick. As for X-Men, they appear at different ages in the comics, too, depending on which story you're reading. And they do occasionally wear special suits in the training room. As for Transformers, it was actually more successful due to fanboys than to general audiences, since the latter group is not geeky enough to embrace that kind of thing, while the fanboys think Beast Wars is a masterpiece. Rolling Eyes And no American really likes DB the way they do Z; so that's already going to screw up this movie's box office.

Now you're ragging on Beast Wars

OK, seriously, G1 diehards are the most irritating Transformers fans of all
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I find it hilarious that they think this movie is not going to bomb. The only reason I'm going to see this movie is just to mock it and laugh at it all the way through. I would be absolutely astounded if they even broke even.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
With X-Men Wolverine, Watchmen, Star Trek, Terminator, Revenge of the Fallen...people will have much, much, much, MUCH better options for movies this summer. Considering how those movies look like they had a budget, and DBE does not, and DBE is based on a franchise that only otaku would care about...ha ha ha. Yeah, sorry, optimists, but this one's gonna bomb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8