• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upper Deck Drops Yu-Gi-Oh Events, Konami Plans New Ones

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I leave Yugioh alone for a bit and look what happened.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to sum this up with an excerpt from YGO TAS episode 14:

YAMI: I shall fuse my Mammoth Graveyard with your Dragon, causing it to decay from the inside!

KAIBA: How the hell did you do that?

YAMI: It's called cheating, deal with it!

KAIBA: I'd rather die than lose to my arch rival.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
So...does this mean Upper Deck is giving in?
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
From reading about this at some other forums, I've gathered that UDE has been selling counterfeit cards through a second company. Konami found out and it's canceling the contract. Now that evidently the courts have kept siding with Konami in the issue, UDE has decided to pull this PR stunt to make players believe that events like regionals and nationals will be canceled from here on in, hoping that the least informed players will drop their cards and take their business away from YGO.

I used to collect and play, but today I couldn't give a lesser crap for either company. After both decided to increase several cards' rarities from their original Japanese printing - one company keeps blaming the other for that, but the bottom line is, THEY DID IT AND KEPT DOING IT FOR YEARS - or removing them from the original starter decks they came in to keep their rarity high, they lost my sympathy. If players can find a way to exploit this to their advantage, they should get at it.
H.A. Senidal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
And the battle between the evil overlords continues, or is it over? I can't tell anymore. Regardless, looks like the new evil overlord will take over, although when you think about it, Konami was always in control as the man behind the man.

Indeed, card games are serious business. *Resumes watching the madness*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
From reading about this at some other forums, I've gathered that UDE has been selling counterfeit cards through a second company. Konami found out and it's canceling the contract. Now that evidently the courts have kept siding with Konami in the issue,

Other way around:
"Dutch, U.S. Courts Rule for Upper Deck over Yu-Gi-Oh Cards"
Xagor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
That's in Europe where UDI are a separate entity from UDE. Hence why Europe is completely fine right now and watching with interest as the US goes through a period of confusion.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Wow, I leave Yugioh alone for a bit and look what happened.

No kidding.This has becoming really serious.I haven't gotten any new booster packs since Invasion of Chaos cause of final exams and everything has gone belly hop. However if it means that that the anime series might be saved from 4kids,then it's worth it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:
From reading about this at some other forums, I've gathered that UDE has been selling counterfeit cards through a second company. Konami found out and it's canceling the contract. Now that evidently the courts have kept siding with Konami in the issue,

Other way around:
"Dutch, U.S. Courts Rule for Upper Deck over Yu-Gi-Oh Cards"

Not trying to be snarky, but is that why UDE has released this PR trying evidently to drive business away from the game now that they haven't their paws on the property and depicting themselves as the good guys of the entire mess? And there's the whole matter of photographic evidence that's been posted in the same forums I've read...

For what it's worth, I don't think the game will be in much better hands with Konami - the latest list of Forbidden and Restricted cards fully confirms my suspicions. I still hope this leads to future releases not having their best cards' rarities changed upon their American release. It's a pipe dream, but it would be my main concern if I were still playing the game.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The courts have been siding with Upper Deck over Konami, not the other way around.

So Upper Deck still has their contract despite Konami's efforts.

The current economic problems in the United States and around the rest of the globe, might be the reason for the dropped Yu-Gi-Oh events.
After all, gasoline is under 2 dollars a gallon for a reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1