• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Justin Chatwin: Dragonball Film Sequel Already Written

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
GATSU wrote:

eagle: People are talking about DB:E the way they were talking about Battlefield Earth. Rolling Eyes

Not even a close comparison.

Many grew up watching Dragonball. If nothing else, they'll watch it for nostalgia sake. How many watch Battlefield Earth as they were growing up? The only reason people talked about it was because of John Travolta and the link to Scientology through the author, L. Ron Hubbard. And these were mainly the post mortems.

Battlefield Earth was renown only to the Sci-Fi community before the movie was made.

And everyone of us in the Sci-Fi community hated the book too. L. Ron Hubbard was not a good author. His prose was awful. Oh, and he was a nutcase.

Gatsu: Think they're jumping the gun a bit on this?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I hope to God this thing does wind up producing a sequel or two, just so that I'll get to hear all the actual DB fans continuing to whine and rant. Schadenfreude really is a wonderful thing. Very Happy

Who says the real DB fans are whining?
Are they really all that different from the fans who complain when their little fav band makes it big, "sells out"?

I think the real fans are the ones with the "give it a try" attitude.

Gatsu,
Teens who saw DBZ in the late 90's are in their late 20's now. If they were college age then, they're older now. I see a fair share of older DBZ fans at con

L Ron Hubbard was a 2nd rate sci-fi hack who apparently told another author he could make more money starting his own religion & he did, didn't he?
Toriyama isn't a 2nd rate hack.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And besides, how are the changes made to X-Men any different than the ones made to DB:E?

Uh, X-Men remotely resembled the source material, for starters.
rekoloki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Does anybody else find this like counting your Chickens before they hatch. I mean I know alot of DBZ fans will turn out for this, but I don't know about the rest of the world. But then again, it doesn't cost much to make 2 more scripts, paper is cheap. And if you can buy two more for a couple hundred thousand from a script writter, at least if it does do well you have something to grow on.

Personally though, i'm not big into seeing a 3 part DBZ, but I would love a 3 part Cowboy Bebop if that one ends up being decent.

Oh well....only time will tell, I'll go watch both.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
I personally wish the movie would have been more care-free and lighthearted in the spirit of Dragonball, but eh, I guess they wanted to turn the original story into a more "serious" deal as in the case of DBZ. Seriously, I dug the first Dragonball series and wouldn't mind them sticking closer to the source material, but right now it just seems so...I dunno...out there, you know?
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Seriously Chatwin, do you earnestly belive this movie will be so popular and sell well that a sequel is warented? As if the first movie wasn't horriable enough.

It will be popular, except in the wrong direction. My friends and I are simply going to go to the theaters and troll it while we're watching and I guarantee that a lot more people than just our small group will be doing the same. This is going to be so bad.

People like you fsked up my viewing of Lord of the Rings 2 so bad, I didn't even bother attempting to see the third one =/
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
eagle:
Quote:
How many watch Battlefield Earth as they were growing up?

BE's a book. And I'm guessing no one, and that the Scientologists bought the copies they printed, so they could make it look like a best-seller. Laughing But I'm talking about how they both have crappy FX, not how BE relates to people's childhoods.

Berserk: Nah, a lot of people hate Toriyama, too. Wink But again, my point is not whether or not the source material was popular, but that the directing is truly hack-tacular.

Yueh: Again, teens who became adults, and who like Z, are not necessarily fans of DB, especially since the latter show bombed in the ratings here. And I'll make it clear again that I'm not trying to do a show-down between Hubbard and Toriyama. My analogy is all about the final product.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I personally wish the movie would have been more care-free and lighthearted in the spirit of Dragonball, but eh, I guess they wanted to turn the original story into a more "serious" deal as in the case of DBZ. Seriously, I dug the first Dragonball series and wouldn't mind them sticking closer to the source material, but right now it just seems so...I dunno...out there, you know?

So you're not American?
Gatsu says Americans can't like DB so you must not be.

Gatsu,
Battlefield Earth wouldn't have been made into a movie were it not for the Scientologists.
DB fans didn't scrape up the money for DBE. They didn't make it, either.
If a certain number of Scientologists weren't Hollywood types, we'd never have seen BE.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
USA born and raised, mein freund. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
CCS: I didn't say all American fans prefer Z over DB, but they are the majority here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
On a related note (Not that polls always reflect the outcome of these things, but...):

Quote:
Which Spring release (March 20-June 21) are you most anticipating?

35% - X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1)

30% - Star Trek (May 8)

17% - Terminator Salvation (May 22)

13% - Angels and Demons (May 15)

4% - The Soloist (Apr. 26)

It sort of says something when people would rather see the sequel to a boring Hanks movie than DB:E...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
This is all assuming that it will actually make its money back from this first movie, which, by judging what it will be competing again, won't do. If there is a sequel, I am sure it will be a direct to dvd release as this movie isn't only bashed among our fellow Otaku, but the film geeks as well. Also take in mind, there has been nothing good said about this movie yet.

Well, not much good were said prior to Transformers' release neither, but the mainstream didn't care what were said (regardless whether one thinks it's a good movie about Transformers or not).

Point is, DB:E may or may not do well, but after the wild miss about Transformers, all bets with prognostications are off. Nobody is a good pundit anymore. Neutral

sykoeent wrote:

Are you serious? Hannah Montana will KILL Dragonball: Evolution in the theatres.

Two different demographics. As long as either does well with their own demographics, both can do well, even if Hannah Montana kills DB:E. Heck, a high-grossing film usually brings up the rest of the box office receipts because it brings greater interest into the theaters. (For instance: little sister wants to see <insert> because everybody else is seeing it; whole family goes to the movies (little sister can't go alone), but brother does not want to see <insert>, so he has to choose something else....)

sykoeent wrote:

Now, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see a good live action Dragon Ball... but, for what I've already seen on Dragonball: Evolution, it is not the movie I, along with 95% of the anime to live action hopefuls, want to see.

That's understandable. In the grand scheme of things though, the mainstream and casual fans will be the main factor whether DB:E does well or not. Many hardcore Transformers fans didn't think the latest Transformers movie was something they wanted to see too, but in the end, that didn't matter. On a more recent note, nobody thought Coraline would be doing this well (the high-grossing winter trend, started by Mall Cop and continued by Taken and Friday the 13th, most likely helped it along.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: The movies you name-dropped which did well had simple concepts, and gave people what they wanted. DB: E is a confusing mess in the trailer alone; and it doesn't offer anything viewers can't get elsewhere. It might have had a chance, if it wasn't just a rush-job, but greed prevailed over quality control.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Da Games:
Quote:
Look, DB:E comes out in April, while TF 2 comes out in June and Harry Potter in July. Most films' revenue at the box office fizzles out after the first month to month and a half. TF 2 would come out after DB:E finishes with the Box Office. TF 2 and Harry Potter have more to worry about from each other than DB:E.

DB:E still has Monsters vs. Aliens to worry about, though. And older males are more likely to be interested in Observe and Report than DB: E.

Once again, Monsters vs. Aliens is aimed more at younger children. Precious few people over the age of ten are really interested in that. DB:E appeals to a broader demographic. As for Observe and Report, well, that might take away some money, but it's not going to be any different than most other blockbusters when they come out.

GATSU wrote:
Number one, MANY films have reshoots. A recent example is Wolverine, which had to go back for reshoots not long after DB:E.

And I'm sure Wolvie will suck, for a different reason. But it's still got Hugh Jackman, who, Australia aside, is a reasonable draw, compared to Chatwin.[/quote]

Well, yes, I won't deny Hugh Jackman is awesome. I think Wolverine will do very well, and might very well be an awesome movie. However, like with DB:E, only time will tell.

GATSU wrote:
The reshoots were also mainly additions for the Goku/Piccolo fight.

Funny that they took a year.[/quote]

They took a month for reshoots. The year was for special effects...

GATSU wrote:
Not to mention that we have no idea whether or not Wong cared about DB:E.

It's fairly certain he doesn't care, since he'll get paid either way. The question is whether the studio cares, and, judging by the lack of promotions in recent magazines, I imagine it's ready to bank it all on Wolverine, Ice Age 3, and its cut of Watchmen. [/quote]

Okay, here's the thing: if Wong wants work, he'll need to produce good movies. He's not Uwe Bole in that he can just make the rent on a national law about movies; the USA doesn't have that. Believe me, this is one of his first high budget movies, and he will want to make a name for himself. And besides, Fox is mostly advertising in the East right now, with lots of stuff goin' on there. From what I've read, Fox's main priorities are Wolverine and DB:E.

GATSU wrote:
We do have evidence that James Marsters wasa huge DB fan, though, and supposedly Chatwin liked DBZ alot too.

Yes, and the Wachowskis liked Speed Racer a lot, too. But a shitty product is still a shitty product. [/quote]

That's debatable. I personally enjoyed Speed Racer. And besides, in your last comment you said how the people involved didn't care, and now you're saying that it doesn't matter whether or not they care? C'mon! Stay consistent, man!

GATSU wrote:
Lady Deathstrike's character was reduced to a silent strong type, as opposed to her having a deep grudge against Wolverine.

That's probably because there wouldn't be room for the main story, if they expanded on her character. [/quote]

That's very well true, but the movie was only 100 minutes. They could have added the extra 20 to make room for her character.

GATSU wrote:
Rogue became much less flirtatious.

She's a little young to be a flirt. Plus, she's kind of new to her powers, so...[/quote]

Not really. She is new, yes, so maybe in the first one this news is so shocking she can't be flirty, but even in the sequels, she isn't in the least flirty. But mind you, all the same, it's still a deviation.

GATSU wrote:
Professor X, with the exception of X-Men United, was given an almost saint-like role.

Then it's the same as the cartoon.[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, he's still a great guy in the comics, just not as perfect as he's shown in the movies and series.

GATSU wrote:
And besides, how are the changes made to X-Men any different than the ones made to DB:E?

Well, in the case of DB:E, the attacks are different; the motivations of the characters are different; the effing setting is different...[/quote]

Hmmm...setting in both seems to be a futuristic world with flying cars and cities. Seems the same. Motivations, gather the 7 Dragonballs to save the world, avenge a fallen friend beaten by Piccolo. Nope, same there too as in the manga. They use the Kamehameha, the Mafuba, Bulma has a gun, nope, still the same.

Just what are you talking about? Hmmm?

GATSU wrote:

True. but DB:E also has Chow-Yun Fat.

I like CYF, but I think that he'd be better as Buu. [/quote]

Buu? Do you seriously thing they'll adapt past the Frieza Saga? I mean, I love Buu and all, but seriously?

And in regards to Battlefield Earth, like everyone else said before: it sucked before it was a movie! DB and DBZ were beloved series long before anyone made a movie deal.

GATSU wrote:
The movies you name-dropped which did well had simple concepts, and gave people what they wanted. DB: E is a confusing mess in the trailer alone; and it doesn't offer anything viewers can't get elsewhere. It might have had a chance, if it wasn't just a rush-job, but greed prevailed over quality control.

What are you talking about? EVERY movie rehashes similar concepts and arranges them in original structures. And besides, the trailer reminded me somewhat of the old Toonami promos they used to have. Anime smile At least the newer one.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
Hmmm...setting in both seems to be a futuristic world with flying cars and cities. Seems the same. Motivations, gather the 7 Dragonballs to save the world, avenge a fallen friend beaten by Piccolo. Nope, same there too as in the manga. They use the Kamehameha, the Mafuba, Bulma has a gun, nope, still the same.

Just what are you talking about? Hmmm?

I don't remember prophecies about eclipses or chosen heroes in DB. Nor do I recall the Dragon Balls being created by seven mystics, or for that matter, them having the power to save the world.

Just what are YOU talking about, hmm?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8