• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anno's Evangelion 2.0 Film Slated for June 27 in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
prnoct90 wrote:
I was wondering, I've never seen the series, but I keep reading online about how great it is. But, older animation, in general, turns me off. So, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to just watch the movies?

The animation was stellar for its time. I predict you won't be disappointed. The series was also re-issued (14 times, I think) with updated video/audio that made a significant difference. Buy the latest copy, when you figure out what that is. The earlier movies Rebirth and End of Evangelion likewise, as they are essential to the canon of Evangelion.

If you watch the Rebuild movies, you won't be watching the Evangelion that some 25 million Internet posts have discussed. It's expected to veer quite a bit from the original story. If you are to become a true believer and EVA fanatic, you must start with the series, from episode 01. We'll see in you in the forums soon... Wink
mulrich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I only have one thing to say:

fudge YES!
becomedog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Heh. That's my birthday... *nobody cares*
mulrich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
prnoct90 wrote:
I was wondering, I've never seen the series, but I keep reading online about how great it is. But, older animation, in general, turns me off. So, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to just watch the movies?

The animation was stellar for its time. I predict you won't be disappointed. The series was also re-issued (14 times, I think) with updated video/audio that made a significant difference. Buy the latest copy, when you figure out what that is. The earlier movies Rebirth and End of Evangelion likewise, as they are essential to the canon of Evangelion.

If you watch the Rebuild movies, you won't be watching the Evangelion that some 25 million Internet posts have discussed. It's expected to veer quite a bit from the original story. If you are to become a true believer and EVA fanatic, you must start with the series, from episode 01. We'll see in you in the forums soon... Wink

The latest, remastered version in Japan is Neon Genesis Evangelion Renewal. In the States, this version is called Platinum.
Sadly, Manga Entertainment, the license holders of the movies, have not yet brought over the remastered movies. Of the movies, the only one you really need is The End of Evangelion.
Death is merely a recap of the series with some extra footage, footage which was later included in the Director's Cut versions of episodes 21, 22, 23 and 24. These episodes are also in the Platinum edition, making Death completely pointless.
Rebirth is merely the first half of The End of Evangelion, so it's even more pointless to get that.

What I'm saying is you should get: Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum + The End of Evangelion

Watching order: Eva eps 1-20, Eva DC eps 21-24, Eva eps 25+26, End of Eva

Then watch Eva 1.01 and start waiting for Eva 2.01 to be released on DVD. Smile
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
C'mon Funimation, quit stalling and tell us whether you'll release it on Blu-ray or not. Now that it is in Japan, people will just import it if you don't. Though I'd rather watch it dubbed with the old VA's from the series! Very Happy
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if FUNi is kicking themselves in the groins because they should have waited for the Blu-ray and licensed that. But wouldn't you think they'd be given permission to do a release in the US on Blu-ray now...?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
...seriously, Anno? You've re-made your brand-spanking-new movie twice already? Dear lord. Someone really needs to sit him down and explain to him the concept of setting an end point of a work and leaving it as-is when that end point has been reached. Though I suppose if I had a massive number of lemming fans with way too much spare cash willing to buy anything and everything with the Eva brand on it, I'd probably wind up doing the same thing...

(And while we're at it, someone teach the man how to use version numbers properly. Razz)
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
prnoct90 wrote:

Like the others have said, the movies are going to go in a different direction from the series. For one thing, a character that first appears in episode 23 now shows up at the end of the first movie, which probably is going to change the dynamic of the characters quite a bit. And from what I understand, the character in the movie might be more like he was in the manga, as opposed to the anime.
Don't let the fact that it's an older title turn you off. Evangelion has been my absolute favourite show for ten years, and it would be a shame for a person to ignore it just because of it's age. The same could be said for a lot of shows around that time, but that's another topic altogether.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
What I'm saying is you should get: Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum + The End of Evangelion

Entirely correct. I should have been more precise. Having purchased three versions of the series, including the ludicrously crappy Platinum Perfect tin box edition, and all the movies so far leaves a slight sourness in mouth when discussing it...

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I wonder if FUNi is kicking themselves in the groins because they should have waited for the Blu-ray and licensed that. But wouldn't you think they'd be given permission to do a release in the US on Blu-ray now...?

It's sort of unimaginable to me that the Japanese would do a deal with Funi and then shut them out on an enhanced re-release. There's no way that deal closed before the Japanese had decided on 1.11. The timing is too close, at least per the announcement dates. If this is the business, especially in current industry conditions, R1 anime fans have some frustrating times ahead...

Top Gun wrote:
...seriously, Anno? You've re-made your brand-spanking-new movie twice already? Dear lord. Someone really needs to sit him down and explain to him the concept of setting an end point of a work and leaving it as-is when that end point has been reached. Though I suppose if I had a massive number of lemming fans with way too much spare cash willing to buy anything and everything with the Eva brand on it, I'd probably wind up doing the same thing...

Of course you would. Talk about a cash cow. Evangelion merchandise was still selling well even before the movies revitalized the fan base, after 10 years. I doubt any single-season show has produced as much cash as that one. I'd be milking that cow until milk went out of style.

Quark wrote:
And from what I understand, the character in the movie might be more like he was in the manga, as opposed to the anime.

Reminds me I forgot to mention that the manga is not by Anno and was written after the anime series, the original work. The differences, those adopted by Anno from the manga for the movie, are changes made by another author, but obviously Anno liked them. I've said I'll have to see all the Rebuild movies to know which version of the story I like best (and not having read the manga).
mulrich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
mulrich wrote:

Entirely correct. I should have been more precise. Having purchased three versions of the series, including the ludicrously crappy Platinum Perfect tin box edition, and all the movies so far leaves a slight sourness in mouth when discussing it...

Don't be sorry. Smile Anyway, I got the regular Platinum collection, even though the thinpak was out when I started buying it. I wanted the booklets, the shiny slip-covers, and the bonus stuff on the DVDs, and didn't care that I had to fork out DKK 600 more. (Thinpak was DKK 450, regular edition cost me DKK 1,050 total.) It's one of my all-time favourite shows. fudge, I'm buying the FUNimation DVD of Eva 1.01, and when they finally release the Blu-Ray in the States, I'll most likely fork out money for that one, too. Unless I've learnt Japanese by that time and just buy it from Japan. >_>
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
YAY.

I've been really curious about how this second movie is going to work out (since it's going to have to cover Asuka's introduction and a good hunk of her development, ditto Kaji, and then a new story for Kaworu AND a new character all at the same time. OUCH, Anno. OUCH!)
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
pparker wrote:
mulrich wrote:

Don't be sorry. Smile Anyway, I got the regular Platinum collection, even though the thinpak was out when I started buying it. I wanted the booklets, the shiny slip-covers, and the bonus stuff on the DVDs, and didn't care that I had to fork out DKK 600 more. (Thinpak was DKK 450, regular edition cost me DKK 1,050 total.) It's one of my all-time favourite shows. fudge, I'm buying the FUNimation DVD of Eva 1.01, and when they finally release the Blu-Ray in the States, I'll most likely fork out money for that one, too. Unless I've learnt Japanese by that time and just buy it from Japan. >_>

What irritated me about the PP version was the box. I wanted discs that combined the updated eps/video/audio, that included the extras, and of course a cool box with a little something extra. FLCL, Boogiepop Phantom, etc. For over $100 US on sale, I figure that's fair. What I got was literally the new discs inserted into the leftover thin-style DVD cases from Platinum (I compared to my old copy... exactly the same), and again literally, the disc cases dropped into a 50 cent tin box that was too big for them. The discs just rattle around in this POS tin that has nothing else in it, not even for padding. And if you've seen the photo produced for the advertising...? No one would, but they could have been sued, because it's not the box you get.

The crux of the problem is them deleting all the extras from the Platinum Edition, which I actually bought first, then had to buy the original version off eBay to get the extras. I finally learned that when ADV said "Platinum", it really meant "Economy", so it was misleading at best. Then, newly and expensively educated, I was able to avoid their advertising traps.

It was the single most irritating anime purchase I have ever made. On that day, I could have cared less whether ADV survived or not, because they obviously cared less if I would ever buy anything from them again.

(I don't have any suppressed rage on this, right? Wink)

And yeah, I'm a fanboy. I'll still be buying every edition... Sad
mulrich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
The crux of the problem is them deleting all the extras from the Platinum Edition, which I actually bought first, then had to buy the original version off eBay to get the extras. I finally learned that when ADV said "Platinum", it really meant "Economy", so it was misleading at best. Then, newly and expensively educated, I was able to avoid their advertising traps.

You are slightly off there. The Platinum Edition is the equivalent of the Japanese Renewal Edition. I own the Platinum Edition, which has booklets and extras. The Platinum Edition thinpak, on the other hand, does not.
See this slightly outdated picture of my anime shelf for reference. (Disregard the wallpaper, I've had this room since I was 7 years old. >_>)

Regarding the tin box version, yes, from what you describe, that is quite literally screwing people over.
Optix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get around to watching Evangelion until about 4 months ago and started with the original series followed by Death & Rebirth and then End. Until now I didn't really check into things to see what else was out there but now I find that there is an alternate telling of End not to mention 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0?

My head hurts.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
pparker wrote:

You are slightly off there. The Platinum Edition is the equivalent of the Japanese Renewal Edition. I own the Platinum Edition, which has booklets and extras. The Platinum Edition thinpak, on the other hand, does not.
See this slightly outdated picture of my anime shelf for reference. (Disregard the wallpaper, I've had this room since I was 7 years old. >_>)

Regarding the tin box version, yes, from what you describe, that is quite literally screwing people over.

I can not believe it. I just discovered yet another version.... Nice box, I want one! Very Happy You like boxes the way I do. I wonder why I never heard of that one in my 2.5 years of fandom? I buy a LOT of anime, and I did spend a long time trying to figure out all the versions. Maybe that edition just isn't to be had at any price from collectors, or else the "Platinum" name confused the two versions.

It's like when I first got into anime, someone was selling one of the Cowboy Bebop signed special editions for $250, I believe. I thought that was a bit high and passed. Only later I learned that chance may never come again. It will be passed down in the family as an heirloom, and maybe sold at Sotheby's one day Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5