• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Best Buy to Change DVD Strategy

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
we all saw this coming, it was just a matter of time.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Neither of the stores in WV are the Best Buy I've gotten anime from...but it doesn't matter since I do most of my shopping online

Still, this sucks for people who prefer to physically purchase stuff at the store
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Christ! No wonder everything was on backorder there. Now I'm stuck going to either White Marsh or Towson.

And I'll have to deal with the people there...

Good thing there's still Ebay, Netflix, and alchohol. And apparently an upcoming sale.

Last edited by prime_pm on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know approximately when the sales will start? :O It's a 2.5 hour drive to Lawrence, KS but I have friends there, so it could be worth it for the sales...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Christ! No wonder everything was on backorder there. Now I'm stuck going to either White Marsh or Towson.

And I'll have to deal with the people there...

Good thing there's still Ebay, Netflix, and alchohol. And apparently an upcoming sale.

1. But you have to sort through the 3-disc bootlegs

2. Good alternative, if nothing else

3. Hooch solves everything
LordPrometheus

Wow, this is rather depressing, especially since it affects several stores that are within driving distance of me. On the plus side, it does mean 50% off sales at some point soon. Very Happy There are several titles I've been eyeing, so hopefully I'll be able to snag some of them at a discount.

This also explains the glaring issue of Darker Than Black vol 2 and Lucky Star vol 5 being perpetually backordered.

Last edited by LordPrometheus on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
larinon

I'm glad to see our city not on the list, and feel good that I contributed to that fact.

Still, lately they haven't been getting in some of the latest stuff...at least what I buy anyway. I ended up getting the Utawarerumono box set as well as Darker than Black 2 and Tsubasa 11 via Right Stuf because it seemed like our Best Buy wasn't going to stock it right away or anytime soon that I could see. Definitely a foreboding situation, and we don't have any other good retail options for anime locally.

LordPrometheus wrote:
This also explains the glaring issue of Darker Than Black vol 2 and Lucky Star vol 5 being perpetually backordered.

I was lucky enough to find Lucky Star 5 in our Best Buy, and hope to do the same with #6 in a few weeks.

Last edited by larinon on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
My local Best Buy (Towson) isn't on the list, but when the sale starts, a trip down to the Inner Harbor is in order.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
3 bestbuy's near me and none are on that list, kinda wish they were as i never buy from bestbuy because they are overpriced.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
we all saw this coming, it was just a matter of time.

Some of the stores around me are cutting anime, but El Cajon CA. isn't. So I guess I will shop at El Cajon if I want anime.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that's five of the six Maine stores right there. Sad I can't say I'm too surprised, Best Buy has a really bad habit of not restocking (or ever getting) early volumes of a series causing the later volumes to linger. When asked, an employee told my brother it was because nobody was buying the later volumes that they didn't restock the earlier ones. I guess they don't understand how sequential order works. Rolling Eyes

I'd like to know as well what titles are being dropped and when, I've got three stores within 30 miles of me and would love to get some $25 box sets.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... with all the locations mentioned in my home state of Georgia, I'm kinda surprised my city's Best Buy wasn't on the list (or maybe I missed it). This is certainly another blow to the anime industry, but hopefully the biz will find new ways to stay in business. Hopefully without everyone but 4Kids, Funimation, and Viz going to a majority if not full into sub-only DVD releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, my local store (Victory Lakes,TX) is on the list. I didn't notice the next closest (Webster,TX) on the list, but it's a real pain to get to with mall traffic.

I guess this is good news for RACS and Rightstuf as they will be getting more of my money. I guess I should go ahead and preorder Moribito vol. 3 from RACS.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I noticed the store closest to me (Mechanicsburg PA) on the list, but not the Harrisburg store or the York store which I try my best to not go to.

The Mechanicsburg store hasn't nothing special but with 50 percent off, I might be able to pick up some decent deals for what they have even though it's really nothing special overall.
archaron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Damn, that's five of the six Maine stores right there. Sad I can't say I'm too surprised, Best Buy has a really bad habit of not restocking (or ever getting) early volumes of a series causing the later volumes to linger. When asked, an employee told my brother it was because nobody was buying the later volumes that they didn't restock the earlier ones. I guess they don't understand how sequential order works. Rolling Eyes

I'd like to know as well what titles are being dropped and when, I've got three stores within 30 miles of me and would love to get some $25 box sets.

Emerje

I did not see the Portsmith NH Best Buy on the list. I stop at this one on my way up to Maine in the summer time. It usually has a good selection of anime. As for prices just wait for went they mail you your coupons.

I also did not see the Best Buy in Salem NH I use all the time on the list, but they have been slow to stock any new releases at all. I suspect the list will grow soon.

Last edited by archaron on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17