• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Diamond Cancels Some March Anime/Manga Related Orders

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
i heard something recently about Diamond going broke. looks like there may be some truth to that.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i heard something recently about Diamond going broke. looks like there may be some truth to that.

............looks pretty obvious to me.

So long as they aren't distributing Claymore for Viz, I'm happy. I would be pissed if they canceled claymore.
Maruna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Darn the heavens! What am I going to do now? I've been eagerly awaiting All Sex Hentai Volumes 1 & 2 for months! My life is over!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
WTF I wants my Darker than Black and Baccano.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
If Diamond goes broke that would have such an awful domino effect on the comic book industry since they have a monopoly on the distributing. But I need to see some real info on them going broke to really believe.

Diamond does cancel or not realist items that don't sell well. They do it all the time with small independent titles. So many have to sell or they don't want to bother with it. I can't remember the amount but it's pretty substantial for small niche titles.

I'm going to play the blame game on the economy. Money is thigh all around so people are not spending it as much and so smaller titles are getting lost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

That would be a disaster for the comic industry. I mean not even Marvel Comics bankruptcy would be as bad as Diamond going broke, I mean they are the main distributor for the entire industry.
newborntoanime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
Damn it! I've been waiting for Baccano! Evil or Very Mad
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Could this be a result of their new minimum order policy or...?

And yeah, if Diamond did go broke it would severly cripple the US comics industry. I haven't heard anything about Diamond having any financial troubles though. At least nothing more than anyone else is facing in this current economy.
halo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I saw Media Blaster's release of Moribito 3 on there. Can this series get screwed over any more?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Ouch on Moribito. X.X I'm now really, really glad I bought the SE Collection when I had the chance.

But now I'm going to be a little worrisome about future Moribito releases, since if DVD 3 doesn't get released soon/at all, then the other DVDs may not/won't get released. v.v Which will really bite for such a great series.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Diamond is positioning themselves for a short sale. If nobody buys them, then they will probably declare bankruptcy and leave a lot of shops flagging in the wind for orders 3 months deep.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Overall, this doesn't surprise given what we've been hearing about Diamond lately. What does surprise me is that Baccano and Darker than Black are on the list. I would have expected those to be good sellers - especially Darker than Black. Moribito doesn't surprise me quite as much given the troubles surrounding it, but it's still not a small title and if a title that's actually been shown on television isn't selling enough for Diamond to distribute it, that's definitely bad.

It's not at all clear to me how much it would affect the anime industry for Diamond to more or less cease distributing anime, but from what I gather, there should be no problem buying these titles online from places like rightstuf, and, personally, I usually buy my anime and manga during rightstuf's sales.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Some of those titles I might agree with, but how stupid can you be to cancel Naruto and Ghibli merchandise?

As for the comics industry, it's been in a coma for a while now, so I doubt Diamond going under will be any worse for it right now. In fact, I'd imagine it might actually help, since there won't be a greedy middle-man that the publishers and dealers have to deal with to get the merchandise on time.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
Do many stores actually get their stock of anime DVDs from Diamond, though? I wouldn't have thought so, but you never know.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
I love my Code Geass Stand Off Wallscroll (bought one for my daughter also) that I received last month from TRSI. They have it as On Order from Manufacturer.
THey have Nighthead Genesis still on Pre-order status as is Moribito
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2