• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi to Publish 1-Shot 'Unmei no Tori' Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, nice - a one shot! Hopefully we can get it here in the US too...
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Takahashi DOES one shots? This I actually have to see to believe. Very Happy
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:

There's been about 4 collected volumes of her oneshots, which were collected in Rumic Theatre in the US. These are mostly OOP, though I imagine VIZ will reissue them at some point ala One Pound Gospel and Mermaid Theatre's reissues. Some were published in MangaVizion, VIZ's first english manga anthology- I have a great Rugby manga she did in one of those. I also read a library copy of another with a hilarious story about a teenager in a rock band who is haunted by his Takarazuka-obsessed grandmother.

They've been adapted in the Rumic Theatre TV series, as well as the Rumic World OVA's, both of which have been released domestically.

There's also a number of untranslated oneshots which have yet to be collected in Japan [I'm assuming they're waiting to have enough to compile into a few new collections]. Rumiko's scary productive.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
It sounds a bit more girl oriented. Or maybe not but I'm curious either way.
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
darcerin wrote:

There's been about 4 collected volumes of her oneshots, which were collected in Rumic Theatre in the US. These are mostly OOP, though I imagine VIZ will reissue them at some point ala One Pound Gospel and Mermaid Theatre's reissues. Some were published in MangaVizion, VIZ's first english manga anthology- I have a great Rugby manga she did in one of those. I also read a library copy of another with a hilarious story about a teenager in a rock band who is haunted by his Takarazuka-obsessed grandmother.

They've been adapted in the Rumic Theatre TV series, as well as the Rumic World OVA's, both of which have been released domestically.

There's also a number of untranslated oneshots which have yet to be collected in Japan [I'm assuming they're waiting to have enough to compile into a few new collections]. Rumiko's scary productive.

My tongue-in-cheek comment apparently went right over your head.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Oh, nice - a one shot! Hopefully we can get it here in the US too...

Same here. I usually have liked her series but personally thought they would've been much better if delivered with a shorter vol. count, so I think a one-shot would be a very intriguing piece to read from her. Also, the premise sounds interesting enough to perhaps pull in some some new fans.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed most of Rumiko Takahashi's work. I really enjoyed Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha and this one shot looks well thought out.

I really hope this isn't too girly though, based off the image though. Hope this is able to be licensed in North America though. We need more intelligent manga in the US. Moe can only go so far.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
It sounds a bit more girl oriented. Or maybe not but I'm curious either way.

Seeing as it is going to run in Big Comics Original, I don't think it's girl oriented.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
She's still the queen of manga to me and I look forward to most anything she does.
Starks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Hmm. A one-shot.

To scanlate, or not to scanlate... That is the question.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
She's still the queen of manga to me and I look forward to most anything she does.

Same here. Even though there aren't that many people who know about Ranma 1/2 or even watch that series, I still enjoy watching the series over and over again. In fact, Inuyasha was the first anime I watched. If this one shot is ever released into the US, I am going to check this series out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1