• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Justin Chatwin: Dragonball Film Sequel Already Written

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Da Games:
Quote:
Once again, Monsters vs. Aliens is aimed more at younger children. Precious few people over the age of ten are really interested in that. DB:E appeals to a broader demographic.

Dunno about that. Audiences at a different screening seemed to be laughing at the intentional jokes in the preview. With DB:E, they just seem to be laughing at the whole trailer. Rolling Eyes MvA will probably bomb in 3-d, but I imagine it'll do well enough in regular theaters to be a threat to DB:E.

Quote:
They took a month for reshoots. The year was for special effects...

That's their story and they're sticking to it? Wink Funny that the movie only took a few months, but it took them a whole year to get the FX right. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Okay, here's the thing: if Wong wants work, he'll need to produce good movies.

Since when is "The One" a good movie? And he can keep making paychecks for his X-Files credit, so it doesn't matter to him.

Quote:
And besides, Fox is mostly advertising in the East right now, with lots of stuff goin' on there. From what I've read, Fox's main priorities are Wolverine and DB:E.

It's barely anything going on there, except the same campaign that we're gettin'. They're even shipping Viz's novelizations of the movie to Japan! That's how low-concept the whole thing is; you should know, after seeing the toys.

Quote:
And besides, in your last comment you said how the people involved didn't care, and now you're saying that it doesn't matter whether or not they care? C'mon! Stay consistent, man!

It does make a difference if they care about the material. But if they're not willing to actually understand what made the material appealing, then they still fail. That's why Speed Racer sucks, because it became "Conversation Racer".

Quote:
That's very well true, but the movie was only 100 minutes. They could have added the extra 20 to make room for her character.

It wasn't about her, though, but about Professor X's battle against Magneto.

Quote:
setting in both seems to be a futuristic world with flying cars and cities.

But it's not Asian.

Quote:
Motivations, gather the 7 Dragonballs to save the world, avenge a fallen friend beaten by Piccolo.

They gather the 7 dragonballs to get their own wishes. The saving the world part comes later, and it's more about preventing the other guy from getting it.

Quote:
They use the Kamehameha, the Mafuba, Bulma has a gun, nope, still the same.

Those attacks don't look the same, though; and Bulma uses a gun whenever she's pissed off.

Quote:
Buu? Do you seriously thing they'll adapt past the Frieza Saga? I mean, I love Buu and all, but seriously?

They'll be lucky if they get to Vegeta.

Quote:
And in regards to Battlefield Earth, like everyone else said before: it sucked before it was a movie! DB and DBZ were beloved series long before anyone made a movie deal.

Again, DB's appeal is subjective. But again, the point is that these are titles which are easy to adapt, but got screwed up, anyway.

Quote:
What are you talking about? EVERY movie rehashes similar concepts and arranges them in original structures.

Have you seen the trailers for Dune and Riddick?
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
Hmmm...setting in both seems to be a futuristic world with flying cars and cities. Seems the same. Motivations, gather the 7 Dragonballs to save the world, avenge a fallen friend beaten by Piccolo. Nope, same there too as in the manga. They use the Kamehameha, the Mafuba, Bulma has a gun, nope, still the same.

Just what are you talking about? Hmmm?

Uh, I don't remember the original Dragon Ball having mystic prophecies about eclipses and the end of the world. I also don't recall Piccolo flying around in a hyper-advanced alien ship, nor seven mystics creating the Dragon Balls to stop him. (Actually, I kinda remember Piccolo CREATING the Dragon Balls to begin with, but I could be wrong. Rolling Eyes) I certainly don't remember Goku being "the chosen one", or him needing the Dragon Balls to save the world. I also am not sure how Piccolo having one Dragon Ball somehow is significant, seeing as in the manga they were worthless orange balls unless you had all seven. And something's definitely wrong with Bulma appearing to be a poor Trinity knockoff, which is the last decsription I'd use for her in the manga.

Just what are YOU talking about, hmm?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
BTW, I stand corrected. DB: E did get a mention in this week's EW for upcoming spring previews. Though they're just basically summarizing its origins, and not really doing a good job at selling the film.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol: The movies you name-dropped which did well had simple concepts, and gave people what they wanted. DB: E is a confusing mess in the trailer alone; and it doesn't offer anything viewers can't get elsewhere. It might have had a chance, if it wasn't just a rush-job, but greed prevailed over quality control.

Was it really that hard for you to understand? =/
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
This would be more of an X-Button link, but I found the Japanese cover for the PSP game I got off the Japanese film site.

Rolling Eyes

Oh, and here is the Japanese site for the game.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
On a related note (Not that polls always reflect the outcome of these things, but...):

Quote:
Which Spring release (March 20-June 21) are you most anticipating?

35% - X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1)

30% - Star Trek (May 8)

17% - Terminator Salvation (May 22)

13% - Angels and Demons (May 15)

4% - The Soloist (Apr. 26)

It sort of says something when people would rather see the sequel to a boring Hanks movie than DB:E...

IF it's anything like a similar poll I saw last year, it's insane.
Remember how everyone allegedly hated PotC3 as to jumbled & confusing? One allegedly needed a scorecard to keep track of who was doublecrossing who.
So when asked which franchise moviegoers missed last year, how the hell did PotC end up in the top 5?
And also sorry, Tom Hanks has a large number of fans. He's one of the top grossing actors according to another poll recently published comparing box office gross, etc as voted by industry types who look at these factors when casting the movies.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention the fact that Dan Brown's books have a massive fanbase (lord knows why...), so I'd assume the majority of people who read them saw the Da Vinci Code and plan to see Angels and Demons.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Dan Brown's novels are poorly-written drivel, but for some unfathomable reason, everyone liked that crappy Da Vinci Code, so since this is the predecessor to it, lots of people will see it in droves.

And X-Men, Transformers, Terminator, etc. are all based on franchises proven to rake in the bucks at the box office. DBE is not.

As much as I know GATSU LOVES Transformers (which could be said to be based on a long-running anime franchise as well), the reason for its success is that like Star Wars, it is ingrained in the general consciousness, a lot of that being attributed to how Transformers reinvents itself for every new generation. Dragonball mostly has people waxing nostalgia to depend on. Yeah...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Dan Brown's novels are poorly-written drivel, but for some unfathomable reason, everyone liked that crappy Da Vinci Code, so since this is the predecessor to it, lots of people will see it in droves.

I'm one of the nay-sayers about Dark Knight.
It's all just opinion.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

And X-Men, Transformers, Terminator, etc. are all based on franchises proven to rake in the bucks at the box office. DBE is not.

Until the first movie of those series were made, no one knew.
Hell, Spiderman looked funky as anything in that tv series back when, but they made him work in the movie. In fact, I always heard that first X-Men team wasn't all that popular.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

As much as I know GATSU LOVES Transformers (which could be said to be based on a long-running anime franchise as well), the reason for its success is that like Star Wars, it is ingrained in the general consciousness, a lot of that being attributed to how Transformers reinvents itself for every new generation. Dragonball mostly has people waxing nostalgia to depend on. Yeah...

I held off seeing Transformers because it looked stupid & was based on some stupid '70's or '80's stuff. The movie was well-made so it did well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Yueh:
Quote:
Until the first movie of those series were made, no one knew.

You have a point, but those flicks generally looked like what people would want to see. And TF was hardly well made. It just had a bigger budget than DB:E.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Aussie poster I swiped from IMDB, and more stills from IMDB.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
So the April Jump has an article on the shooting of the film.
fastandman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
hey?! Angels & Demons (the Book) is an Awesome read. it is way better than The Davinci code.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Preview footage for a Korean show here, courtesy of Dark Horizons.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Footage for a Korean variety show here and here, courtesy of IMDB.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8