• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Dragon's 1st Episode Posted on iTunes for Free

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbbearcounty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The series is also available on the X-Box store and the first episode is free there too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the only reason I could watch this show was for the girl who turns invisible. 10 year old with an amazing rack, damn I love anime and Toriyama.

So is this the dubbed and heavily edited version?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I love the PR dude saying how "we're pleased to add such a beloved anime", blah blah blah...he's either giving the standard corporate line because they threatened him if he didn't, or he genuinely doesn't know how awful the series is.
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
It's standard PR.

But FWIW, the Blue Dragon anime remains popular with Japanese kids, so there's technically some truth to those words. Had it not been for the show, the franchise (which is constantly expanding, for no good reason) would've died with the Xbox360 game.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't be much of a sales pitch if they said "This series really sucks, and few people will want it." If I was inclined for this I'd take the game over the anime following the ratiothat most anime based on videogames are pretty poor story-wise. (Obviously exceptions exist like Gungrave and Gunslinger Girl leap to mind.)
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I have seen all the Toonami Jetstream episodes and wish I knew what the status of the remaining 11 episodes is and if Viz will pick the 2nd series that's airing in Japan now. Though this is heavily edited like 4Kids (I know a lot of people don't like them but business is business. I admit though I don't really like them, I still have somewhat of a respect for them. I do agree with anime editing depending on what's being edited. At least 4Kids did good with Pokemon unlike that crappy PokemonUSA company.), I liked the show.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Blue Dragon's is still doing pretty well via the anime series in Japan. Another DS title's in the worksseparate from Plus with Bandai Namco/Tales Team (or just Hideo Baba) helping Mistwalker in the development. It's an action RPG

Personally, I would like to see a true sequel on the 360. I know Sakaguchi can do better, but it seems like he's just living in a shell of his former self. Toriyama should take a step up in his designs too. His Dragon Quest IX stuff is great.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Unless Viz will release an uncut version, I'm not at all interested. Viz can suck it as far as I'm concerned.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I love the PR dude saying how "we're pleased to add such a beloved anime", blah blah blah...he's either giving the standard corporate line because they threatened him if he didn't, or he genuinely doesn't know how awful the series is.

It's like some commericals in television today. If one is really paying attention, one can say who is actually forced to read the standard corporate line and who actually reads the line truthfully. I've seen commerials bash others so politely, you could literally tell the line was forced.

The Xbox version of Blue Dragon looked cool, but the anime looked heavly edited. Akria Toriyama is one of my favorite artist's of all time, but this is one of the very few series I just couldn't get into.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
Unless Viz will release an uncut version, I'm not at all interested. Viz can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

Yes becuase Blue Dragon is so adult and deep. /sarcasm

It's effectively a kids show that they are selling, so an unedited release may happen but it may not be what they want to do as they are now trying to sell the series to those who have seen it on TV.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see an uncut release myself via box sets like what they do with Naruto. I do think their decision to sell and market it as a kid's show isn't wrong and editing understandable, but I still can't figure out why they decided to change the music. It's like Dragon Ball Z all over again. But hey, I suppose there are kids that like that stuff. I originally liked all the panty and risque humor that was taken out of the TV version. It seemed definitely along the line of Toriyama-style humor
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
GaryPotter wrote:

Yes becuase Blue Dragon is so adult and deep. /sarcasm

It's effectively a kids show that they are selling, so an unedited release may happen but it may not be what they want to do as they are now trying to sell the series to those who have seen it on TV.

Yep, Microsoft intended it to be an all-ages phenomenon that would sweep the world for the Xbox360............ till the Japanese studio pervs threw them a curve such that it has to be edited for Western markets........... and thus, the best laid plans of mice and men --> epic fail! Laughing
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Whatever. Someone wake me when the uncut version is availabe.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It tells the story of Shu, a boy who protects his village from an ancient enemy by invoking the Blue Dragon from his own shadow.

Silly child. Should there be no convenient light sources, he won't have a shadow. No dragons for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
It tells the story of Shu, a boy who protects his village from an ancient enemy by invoking the Blue Dragon from his own shadow.

Silly child. Should there be no convenient light sources, he won't have a shadow. No dragons for him.

What if he constantly carries a flashlight? Problem solved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2