• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Wins $600,000 from Unlicensed Sword Sellers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Whooo~

But I still think Squeenix should come out with a line of cheaper play-swords. =_____=;;
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The apology from the four defendants sounded more like they were saying, "Sorry we got caught." It would have been fine saying that they regretted selling unauthorized swords, but then they added that bit about not doing it if they had known Square Enix would sue them.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Whooo~

But I still think Squeenix should come out with a line of cheaper play-swords. =_____=;;
And I hope those who bought those swords from Square-Enix will read the instructions that came with it. In particularly the part that says: "For DISPLAY ONLY, NOT FOR PLAYING OR ACTUAL SWORD FIGHTING."
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The apology from the four defendants sounded more like they were saying, "Sorry we got caught." It would have been fine saying that they regretted selling unauthorized swords, but then they added that bit about not doing it if they had known Square Enix would sue them.

Ya, I was gonna say the same. I just love how they say it:
Quote:
We would not have begun importing and selling these swords if we knew that Square Enix would respond so aggressively to stop us

Laughing. If the above istrue, they could have inversely said "we would only have sold these import swords if Square Enix wasn't so aggressive."

Honestly, that is the most unprofessional statement anyone could ever be caught saying, its almost too funny!

Last edited by RedHotFunk on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
somehow i doubt Square will be coming out with a line of swords in the future, but who knows?
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
So now maybe when I go to the Rennisance Fair, I won't see a Cloud or Sepheroth (sp) Sword?

How about those Bleach swords? Or even the Rey Mysterio mask I saw there?
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
somehow i doubt Square will be coming out with a line of swords in the future, but who knows?

While it might of taken awhile, they could of looked into licensing the rights to make them. There's lots of companies dedicated to making props from movies/comics/videogames out there.
Spiked Vash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I could see Master Replicas perhaps making licensed ones, but at 2-3 times the price one would pay at dealers' table in cons.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Though I don't like that Square Enix had to go through a lawsuit, I am quite pleased that $600,000 was won from this case. Sqaure Enix is a decent, high quality company. Because I've been playing their games and bought their merchandise for the last fifteen years, I can honestly tell those who ask that SE is really does care about the customer.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I also find it funny that instead of the "we regret selling unauthorized swords" it was more of "we regret getting caught knowingly importing and selling unauthorized swords."

At least leave with some dignity Anime hyper.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
this suite is a disgrace hope some Japanese blacksmith sues square because they portrayed katanas(which far predate the games) in their FF series and contractors or architects who's designs are similar to any buildings in the FF series also sue them for copy right infringement and lets not forget clothing designers who's clothing lines are similar to the FF series but predate the games. bet you SE would crap themselves if people really picked their infringements apart as carefully as they seem to like doing so of others.

the line about selling top quality products to their fans is ludicrous since square enix does not sell real swords made of top quality steel they sell cheap knock offs themselves.
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Great,maybe they can use that extra money to get XIII out in america before 2010 Confused
nicholas1978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
9hoenix_ wrote:
Great,maybe they can use that extra money to get XIII out in america before 2010 Confused

Zing!!! Laughing

There are some sweet prop makers out there. I saw that someone is still making hand made brass omni's From the tv series Voyagers. Don't know if anyone is old enough to remember that show anymore but damn I loved it. 700+ dollars is too rich for my blood but one can dream right Smile
xKohai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Talk about a sword through the heart. Cool
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
this suite is a disgrace hope some Japanese blacksmith sues square because they portrayed katanas(which far predate the games) in their FF series and contractors or architects who's designs are similar to any buildings in the FF series also sue them for copy right infringement and lets not forget clothing designers who's clothing lines are similar to the FF series but predate the games. bet you SE would crap themselves if people really picked their infringements apart as carefully as they seem to like doing so of others.

Wow are you off base. Rolling Eyes There's a huge difference between producing something with a similar design ("a katana") and selling something as a licensed replica ("a Buster Sword"). These people lost because they were selling unlicensed products, not because they were selling cleverly veiled and slightly similar looking items like a "Busting Blade". They knew what they were doing and clearly only regret getting caught so why defend them? I've seen these swords in person, they're garbage, they aren't even well made.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6