• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guin Saga Epic Fantasy Anime Trailer Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
yeah, only the first FIVE out of the whole series...

Are they going to do the rest?
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
yeah, only the first FIVE out of the whole series...

Are they going to do the rest?

my guess would be not!
the reason behind it is that NA was one of the last regions where guin saga was licenced for 5 L-novels,since it was available in other regions but they also did go up till L-novel 5!
IzanaginoOkami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
they release more if theres enough demand
Jinxso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching and I like the style, dialog I have no clue about since I only know a few japanese words but looks interesting.

May be worthy of checking out on a sub.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... not sure I'm crazy about the character designs and animation style. I guess since I only read the books rather than the GN, I sort of had a live-action image going in my head, and seeing the characters rendered in a bright, sort of cartoon-ish style (it reminds me a little of Jyu Oh Sei and Toward the Terra) may take some getting used to. I liked the music, though, and the voice actors sounded good.

And yeah, I wish Verticle would release more than the first 5 volumes, but I also wish they'd be cheaper. Those books are pretty darn short to cost $10 each.

Oh: they have a site in English, if anyone's interested: http://www.guinsaga.net/en/ The English is... how do I put this... well, if I did my site in Japanese, my grammar would be pretty bad too, so I can't judge.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
look like anther one to watch
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
From the website, word from the books' author:

"According to some data, there are as many as 20,000 characters throughout the series, 1,000 of which make up the main characters." Shocked Anime smile + sweatdrop

Good grief, and I thought Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) went insane with the number of characters in his series (I think he's somewhere around 1,000 named characters, almost all of which are focused on to some degree), but this takes the freakin' cake.
Zipper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
This is the show I'm looking forward to the most. Can't wait for this.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the few anime I'm actually looking forward to. I just hope it doesn't suck.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
After seeing the trailer:

Heh, this looks pretty ridiculous. Not necessarily in a bad way though. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
I'll probably check this out. I've got the first book. When I found out it was the first of over a hundred, and I'd only be seeing the first 5, I stopped reading. Maybe this anime will convince me to start again.

vashfanatic wrote:
And yeah, I wish Verticle would release more than the first 5 volumes, but I also wish they'd be cheaper. Those books are pretty darn short to cost $10 each.

AGREED! For less than that, I can buy a paperback version of any book from either Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" or George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire," which are at LEAST 10x longer than the average volume here. Martin is also one who has tons of named characters. He has about 30 pages of family trees tacked onto the back of each novel.
kyoukix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
For the record:

This anime is not related to the wiriter Ursula K. Le GUIN or her books, right? Question
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
kyoukix wrote:
For the record:

This anime is not related to the wiriter Ursula K. Le GUIN or her books, right? Question

Uh, not at all. Why, are you getting a link? "Guin" is the name of the main character, a leopard-headed warrior in a self-contained high fantasy world, and it's been going on since 1979.

doctordoom85 wrote:
"According to some data, there are as many as 20,000 characters throughout the series, 1,000 of which make up the main characters." Shocked Anime smile + sweatdrop

Good grief, and I thought Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) went insane with the number of characters in his series (I think he's somewhere around 1,000 named characters, almost all of which are focused on to some degree), but this takes the freakin' cake.

Well, it's 128 volumes so far (i.e. not done) and has been running for 30 years (this is in celebration of its 30th anniversary), so it's entirely possible. The first 5 books (all that I've been able to read since that's all that's been released) had an very manageable cast. I don't know if things get out of control later, or if she just kills off her most of her characters at regular intervals and replaces them.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
That's a lot of volumes.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
This looks pretty darn good. o_o

I love the character designs (yay for actual lips!), and the music was certainly suitably epic!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1