• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Central - Geneon License Announcements

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else find it odd that Geneon licensed the Saiyuki sequel when ADV has its predecessor?

Last edited by Kholdstare on Fri May 14, 2004 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Geneon got Saiyuki Reload? I can't believe this! Thanks for sitting on your fat ass, ADV. Very Happy
arxane

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...

Maybe Geneon is getting revenge on ADV for getting "Nurse Witch Komugi" (the "SoulTaker" spin-off).
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hmmm...

Maybe Geneon is getting revenge on ADV for getting "Nurse Witch Komugi" (the "SoulTaker" spin-off).

While I suppose it's a possibility, Pioneer will not likely have the balls to use the original Dub cast like ADV did for Komugi. Rassafrackin' Geneon.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah well, never did get into Saiyuki, but I'm glad the finally did formally annouce Tsukihime. I'm looking forward to a good DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TidusDaniel54

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This is the best news I've heard all day!
Poppycock

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:
Does anyone else find it odd that Geneon licensed the Saiyuki sequel when ADV has its predecessor?

Funimation did the same thing to both Geneon and ADV. How they did this to Geneon was, they took 1 of the Tenchi Muyo series (Tenchi Muyo GXP), and they saved DBZ from Geneon butchering it (becuz Pioneer just started dubbing at the time), and they stole from ADV by taking the Sakura Wars OVA (ADV Owns Sakura Wars TV).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Poppycock wrote:
Funimation did the same thing to both Geneon and ADV. How they did this to Geneon was, they took 1 of the Tenchi Muyo series (Tenchi Muyo GXP), and they saved DBZ from Geneon butchering it (becuz Pioneer just started dubbing at the time), and they stole from ADV by taking the Sakura Wars OVA (ADV Owns Sakura Wars TV).

Jeez, DBZ can't get a break. First people say Funimation butchered it, now it's Geneon. Regarding Tenchi Muyo, I don't think Geneon was interested in licensing it. Regarding Sakura Taisen, don't forget that Geneon has the movie. Multiple companies licensing the same property is nothing new.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This kind of thing happens all the time. It not as odd as Disney funding part of Innocence then letting Dreamworks get the license, stupid Eisner. Though when Manga dubbed the End of Evangelion, they gave Gaijin full control of the translation to get most of the dub cast back, with horrendous results. So it does have its bad sides. I remember when CPM let Animeigo subtitle the VHS copies of Beautiful Dreamer so the translation would fit, shame most companies don't seem to work so well together anymore. Since ADV gets all the good titles most of the time anyway, I'm happy Geneon got Tsukihime. I love that show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The important thing is that Tsukihime is licensed, and hopefully Bang Zoom! Entertainment is going to dub it (though New Generation Pictures is actually not that bad Wink ).
microlith

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
It not as odd as Disney funding part of Innocence then letting Dreamworks get the license, stupid Eisner.

Disney had no hand in the production of Innocence. Ghibli was contracted out by Production I.G. to handle some of the animation production, but otherwise Disney has no connection.

Be glad, had Disney got it without a no-edit clause Miramax may have done a Shaolin Soccer on it...
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
No production, but they did fund some of it. Its just really odd Eisner would do that, then let Dreamworks get it. Eisner's messed up, not Disney Cool , I'd still take them over Dreamworks anyday. But thats me, I don't want to start a debate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Poppycock

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
Poppycock wrote:

Jeez, DBZ can't get a break. First people say Funimation butchered it, now it's Geneon. Regarding Tenchi Muyo, I don't think Geneon was interested in licensing it. Regarding Sakura Taisen, don't forget that Geneon has the movie. Multiple companies licensing the same property is nothing new.

Geneon messed up DBZ more then FUNI. Funimation at least didn't combine episodes and never gave us an uncut version where you get the the original version with extreme violence, nudity, original music, and middle fingers. But i'm not that mad at Geneon because they were just getting started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually, for your information, Geneon was simply their distributor for the DVDs, and they handled movies 1-3 (which were done bilingual and uncut). Blame Saban for cutting so much out of the dub that putting a subtitle track onn the DVDs would of been an impossibility.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Poppycock wrote:
Geneon messed up DBZ more then FUNI.

Geneon (then Pioneer) was a distributor. They had no control over the content of the tapes (other than, possibly, the box artwork)
FUNimation did the dubbing and editing, but they had to appeal to a higher power: Saban Entertainment

Saban held the final say as to what could be and what could not be shown on TV. If you have any gripes about the 1st or 2nd seasons of DBZ, with respect to the quality of production, it's Saban Entertainment who you want to gripe about.

Furthermore, Saban isn't even in the TV syndication business anymore; they sold that division off to ABC/Disney.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3