• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Confirms Dragon Ball Kai is Edited to Follow Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Let me get this straight, it's shorter? One thing that I know alot of people hated, myself included, is that battles dragged on. If they can make it briefer than I'm all on board.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
I'm sure the edits will also apply to the battles since a good portion of them had filler added. In many cases, a part of a battle that lasted for a 15-page chapter in the manga was stretched out to last for a complete 20+ minute episode. The "episode-long power-ups" that people tend to complain about should also be eliminated as well.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
Yup! Can't wait to watch this! Now, if they did it for both Dragon Ball and DBZ ...
Digishade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how much of DBZ is going to be included in this re-release. Even with the fact that they're seriously cutting back on episodes, will this include everything from the Saiya-jin saga all the way to the Buu saga? I wonder.
foxia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Yup! Can't wait to watch this! Now, if they did it for both Dragon Ball and DBZ ...

You mean Dragon ball and DBGT don't you? Considering Kai is DBZ.
Jetto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
foxia wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

You mean Dragon ball and DBGT don't you? Considering Kai is DBZ.

Considering the fact that GT is 100% filler this seems unlikely...
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is pretty cool. As much as I love DBZ, the filler parts do get rather annoying. I'm not sure if I'd ever want to pony up and buy the series twice to have the re-edited version, but it's pretty neat that they're doing this nonetheless.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see how this goes. Getting rid of the filler I think will help not seem like it takes forever to get to the end of something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Does this mean audiences don't have to suffer through the Garlic Junior Saga again?! Or the 20 episode 5 min fight scene on Namek?! Awesome. Although I do worry about Masako Nozawa. May she stay in good health.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
I wish they do this with some other series as well, can't think of them off the top of my head.
KitsuneMiku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
yay! DBZ is now watchable.
I hope the music isn't too different because I liked the music in the original, even if it was horribly campy.
I hope they release it here, though I did just spend a good amount of money on the recent releases.
giascle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
If they do this well, DBZ's reputation will skyrocket.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Awesome news, even because this could mean that Naruto (both the pre time-skip and Shippuuden) could be edited too, in the future, to cut fillers out! Very Happy

And this could happen to other popular anime like One Piece too (even if fillers are less annoying and less present in this one) or Bleach!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Let me get this straight, it's shorter? One thing that I know alot of people hated, myself included, is that battles dragged on. If they can make it briefer than I'm all on board.

Same. Cut it down to like ~100 episodes or less and in 10 years, the original will have been forgotten.

Sariachan wrote:
Awesome news, even because this could mean that Naruto (both the pre time-skip and Shippuuden) could be edited too, in the future, to cut fillers out! Very Happy

And this could happen to other popular anime like One Piece too (even if fillers are less annoying and less present in this one) or Bleach!

As big as those shows are, I doubt they'll ever get re-made simply because they're not as iconic as Akira Toriyama stuff.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Now if only they'd edit the series so that it ends with the Freeza saga. Then it would really adhere to Akria Toriyama's actual vision of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4