• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Show Profiles Missing Girl Heading to Anime Cons

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
I understand the sexual conduct part, but I'm not sure what they mean by "communicate". Anyway, it's nice to know that America's Most Wanted didn't single him out specifically because of where he was on-line.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
I don't think anime is their prime concern as to the girl's safety. Anime in this case is a reference and clue. Not the prime concern.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
I know, but the media in general tends to exploit the anime angle, so it's nice that this show only cares about the girl's safety.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
I actually saw that on TV. I thought, "Oh, they're still out there somewhere?".
They also showed the man in a quasi furry costume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
If anybody wants to see it here (mark 4:25), featuring Naruto and something and an anime dealer room video and a Texas anime con Bleach Captain Komamura Sajin cosplay photo.

The suspected car, BTW, is a beat-up white 1994 Mercury Cougar with Oklahoma license plate VRW 932.

But don't forget to watch the other missing children as well.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
Must be a slow news day when an article is posted on an anime news site that is related to anime only incidently.

I'm a fan of anime so if I'm in the news for whatever reason, should it even be anime news? Yeah, yeah, going to Anime Cons. If she was heading to the corner store, I guess the Corner Store News Network will be all over the story.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
I think the idea is, if you're an anime fan, she might be in the area, so be sure to let the proper authorities know.
TenchiTim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:46 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:

Thats enough to warrant an arrest, right? Laughing

Anyway, the vid says theres no cons scheduled for months but who's to say its an anime con. Especially in California (seems like a con every week), a quick google search, theres 5 cons (not strictly anime) going on for March.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
TenchiTim wrote:
bleuster wrote:

Thats enough to warrant an arrest, right? Laughing

Anyway, the vid says theres no cons scheduled for months but who's to say its an anime con. Especially in California (seems like a con every week), a quick google search, theres 5 cons (not strictly anime) going on for March.

Actually, the video said that there were not any cons scheduled for weeks, not months.

Since it's not mentioned in either ANN articles, it should be pointed out that Reimer was a family friend and not some guy the girl had picked up online. He'd been friends with her parents for 5 years according to the AMW information.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
What's incredible is the level of stupidity on some people. Just to see some cons? Jeez.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
Must be a slow news day when an article is posted on an anime news site that is related to anime only incidently.

I'm a fan of anime so if I'm in the news for whatever reason, should it even be anime news? Yeah, yeah, going to Anime Cons. If she was heading to the corner store, I guess the Corner Store News Network will be all over the story.

Your thought process is ridiculous.

So, if a convicted murderer where only targeting anime cons, you would be upset with reporting that on ANN because it's just so happens to happen at cons.

Since you obviously missed the point of posting it here, I'll spell it out. THE. POLICE. NEED. HELP. FINDING. A. MISSING. GIRL. WHO. IS, TRAVELING. WITH, AN. OLDER. MAN. WHO. MAY. BE. SEXUALLY. ABUSING. HER. Did you get it that time?

Now, let me head over to Corner Store News Network and read your nonsensical rant there.
akatsukinotobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
I would hate to be that Komamura cosplayer. I've seen him the past two years at Ikkicon in Austin, and I'm pretty sure it's not him. If it is, he didn't have a little girl with him.

I wouldn't want my picture posted on America's Most Wanted because somebody thought I looked like somebody else even with a whole bunch of prosthetics on my face Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TenchiTim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

Actually, the video said that there were not any cons scheduled for weeks, not months.

ah, youre right...
now I feel sheepish. Confused
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
What's incredible is the level of stupidity on some people. Just to see some cons? Jeez.
agreed, the girl needs a serious lesson in common sense
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
Rolando_jose wrote:
agreed, the girl needs a serious lesson in common sense

Mylene wrote:
Since it's not mentioned in either ANN articles, it should be pointed out that Reimer was a family friend and not some guy the girl had picked up online. He'd been friends with her parents for 5 years according to the AMW information.
The two above quoted need to read Mylene's quote here. Although personally I largely agree that this wasn't a good idea, if this guy was a "family friend" and knew the parents for 5 years, then it makes a lot of sense that the girl would be more trusting of this guy. It's not hard to believe that she thought "hey, he's my parent's friend and he's nice to me, I can trust him." (Of course, some of the past chatter on this story indicated that maybe they were both criminally inclined so. . . .)

The real question is, where are they and what shape are they in? Followed closely by "will they actually show up at any cons" and thus be located without as much trouble? Probably not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3