• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Uncertain State of the Anime Industry Profiled

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
This is very sad news to hear... I hope something will be solved in this state of mass downloading versus profits loss (and admitting that it is a cause). Because hey, those who aren't contributing to buying anything at ALL, sure aren't helping the problem.

To be honest, I kind of want to bring this up in MyAnimeList's forums where people like that FROWN upon seeing anime licensed... (This was after discovering how many of them thought fansubs were superior to anything licensed, thus have the attitude on refusing to buy ANYTHING >_>)
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Article wrote:
"These sites upload programs almost immediately after they are broadcast in Japan," accompanied with "fan subs" — English subtitles translated by fans," Iwata said. "This is causing a very big dent in sales."

I know this comes as a shock, but hey, who cares as long as people get their free cartoons Rolling Eyes

I doubt even the sad tale of struggling animators is going to move anyone to tears, either. Seriously, fans are arseholes. Hell, they should feel ashamed to even call themselves "fans" at this point.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

I doubt even the sad tale of struggling animators is going to move anyone to tears, either.

Somehow, I have a feeling that most people look at the American entertainment industry. Ok, well minus the writer's strike, they generate ALOT of money. Theatres cash in millions, because that's quality that could never be downloaded! (Aka giant screen with good speakers >_>) Things like that make an awesome budget for themselves. However, that is America...

I just think that this is the mindset of people thinking "oh well, they are still making anime and still making tons of money, what can little old me REALLY contribute?" The key being in the mindset is that anime will always be around, sort of thing >_> But hey, as far as "money grows on trees", I'm SURE anime companies are planting yen trees everywhere >_>

Besides, this fuss SHOULD be made. How fair is it to those of us who do buy anime who WANT anime to stick around, be the ones to be putting our hands into our wallets when people sit and leech absolutely everything?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
The "we'll always have anime" mindset flies in the face of this heart-stopping little proclamation:

Article wrote:
I think we'll see a major decrease in the number of anime programs broadcast. Agencies dependent on television as a primary financial source will need to search for alternatives."

So that means...fewer new shows and possibly more merchandise-heavy moe crap. So look for less hot-blooded shonen, ass-kicking mecha, and comedy that doesn't rely on its moe girls to make people watch the show. Sigh.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 am Reply with quote
It could also mean a ton of OVAs concerning "alternative" methods. And that could be a good thing.... or a bad thing.
Good thing: More storylines to our favorite series!
Bad thing: Good series being summed up in well, just OVAs :/

Oh wait, not to mention OVAs release one at a time and often months apart *sigh* Hehe but then again, that's like the release times of licensed DVDs so then everyone would have to learn patience, for a release of any kind^^
cnav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha..u know something ...i know a lot of people who download animes..A LOT...and all i want to say is that people all over the planet are crazy for anime .the reason why people frown upon licensing is because then they will not be able to get those animes at all..im speaking my case out..kay..i stay in india and fansubs are the only way i can get anime okay..india doesnt import anime ,manga or any merchandise at all...and funimation streaming is not available in my country...so how do u expect people like me to watch anime huh...

and if u ask me ,,id like to say that licensing of anime should be stopped,,the reason why the anime industry is going through bad times is because greedy money minded companies like funi are taking the animes into america and milking the franchises like hell.WHo is getting the major profit out of licensin..???is it japan or America

and u know sumthn..if the anime dvds start comin into the indian market ill buy them for sure...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
Well, that is a bit of a different case. However, if you live in a country and are very capable of getting your hands on them, well...

Look, I did not say that I'm not guilty of downloading anything either, BUT I do buy my fair share >_> I get nitpicky with those that are able to buy but choose to leech ONLY because it's free, and NEVER buy (or just burn everything to disks). My earlier debates have to do with people who feel that subs are far superior to anything licensed, and sometimes don't even buy things due to that reason!
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Licensing is DESTROYING the industry? Please do inform me as to what rock you've been living under for the past twenty years.

Wikipedia wrote:
The verb license or grant license means to give permission. The noun license (licence in British spelling) refers to that permission as well as to the document memorializing that permission. License may be granted by a party ("licensor") to another party ("licensee") as an element of an agreement between those parties. In economics, a license is a government-issued permission to engage in an activity or to operate a business.

In other words, unless a company obtains permission from the Japanese companies to redistribute the anime, that means it won't find a way outside its country of origin, which is an even BIGGER detriment to sales.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
I think that the mindset of things here are that in any case, an attempt should be made to buy anime and related products. If you can't afford it, there is a such thing as waiting. I can understand their concern with the situation of fansubs bringing down the industry like it has been. Take the whole situation they were talking about at AX 2008 about fansubs. It is a constant problem for the industry. Unfortunately it isn't going anywhere anytime soon either.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
On second hand, I guess it is getting late for me because I did not read that entire post :/

And as said above, all royalties go to the original creator. Japan sometimes relies on sales of our products. Milking a show? Well, look what Japan is doing with Dragonball Z and Full Metal remakes. Everyone's trying to do SOMETHING to earn money in this economic slump. Something that might work. And look! Eva still sells!
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Stop blaming fansubs for the market crunch.

Those who download but don't care to buy afterwards are NOT going to buy if illegal downloads magically seize to exist. Anime are not drugs, they are products of the entertainment industry. They will just find another hobby.

Those who watch fansubs and then go and buy anime merchandise, DVDs and related products will not do so at the same frequency if they have no access to the content for "free" (as most Japanese do via free television + ads).

Those who do not download but buy/rent everything they watch will not be affected anyway one way or the other.

Read more into the report, this is not another fansub debate people. Fansubs/downloading/illegal streaming is only a small part of the problem, a problem that has to do with the world evolving and the industry failing to catch up, and also, with the global economy crisis. At least, that is my take on this...Wink

Last edited by Dante80 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
Except that even in Japan, they don't watch anime "for free" on TV. They have to pay, you know, cable service bills...revolutionary concept, isn't it Rolling Eyes

Fansubs may not be the sole cause of the problem, but they aren't HELPING things.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Fansubs may not be the sole cause of the problem, but they aren't HELPING things.

^ This. Especially when the economy will have less people buying less things. If the number of fans DID purchause things well, there just may be more money to produce more anime, keep the market up, etc. >_> I can see number break downs as to how this would be in my head.

Last edited by Sheleigha on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
Many anime air on at least one free channel I think. You are right though, Japanese pay some money for it (in the form of ads, NHK bill, and fees for entry to the satellite and cable networks). The amount of money they pay is very limited compared to the access they gain to the content (access to watch, record and own copies). It is not the same.

Quote:
This. Especially when the economy will have less people buying less things. If the number of fans DID purchause things well, there just may be more money to produce more anime.

You cannot force someone to pay if he feels he shouldn't in the first place (I'm talking about the leecher only types). You can offer products that fans would be willing to pay for though. Not only to support the industry (I'm sorry, anime fans are not into charity) but to pay for the advantages compared to downloads. SAYING THAT YOU CANNOT COMPETE WITH FREE IS SAYING THAT YOU CANNOT COMPETE AT ALL imo. There are many ways around this, and its high time the industry in Japan got motivated to change their business models.

Last edited by Dante80 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:59 am; edited 3 times in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Most anime is going to air on a public channel first, and then they will go to DVD, anime cable network, the internet and so forth. Most of the subs would seem likely to come from people who record the shows in Japan and get them to their subbing groups. This you can tell by seeing the cutoffs for the commercial breaks, where you see the sponsors of the shows. If DVD sales don't come in though, as well as for merchandise, then the show can suffer.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12