• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Justin Chatwin: Dragonball Film Sequel Already Written

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Wow, so the movie he's currently watching, wouldn't that be that laughably bad Hong Kong ripoff called The Magic Begins or something like that? Oh boy, now we know where the writer's, set designer's, and costume designer's inspiration came from Laughing

If you look at the comments posted this month, the writer states he wrote the script 5 yrs ago & what the moviemakers have done since is their business. His comments may be totally irrelevant at this point depending on the number of re-writes. I have heard of scripts changed so much the original author asks his name be removed from the finished product.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Japanese tv spot with related dub. Chatwin and Rossum interviewed by Japanese reporter. [Insert Canadian joke here.]
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Wow, so the movie he's currently watching, wouldn't that be that laughably bad Hong Kong ripoff called The Magic Begins or something like that? Oh boy, now we know where the writer's, set designer's, and costume designer's inspiration came from Laughing

If you look at the comments posted this month, the writer states he wrote the script 5 yrs ago & what the moviemakers have done since is their business. His comments may be totally irrelevant at this point depending on the number of re-writes. I have heard of scripts changed so much the original author asks his name be removed from the finished product.

So does this mean the dude what wrote the original screenplay is EMBARRASSED by the script?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

So does this mean the dude what wrote the original screenplay is EMBARRASSED by the script?

If he were embarrassed, he'd ask to have his name removed which he's not.
The issue was in the Junior Novel Bulma's name isn't Briefs (it was Briefs in his script) & Chichi has a last name (& she doesn't in his script). This was the context that the guy had written the script 5 yrs ago so he was defending one can't blame him for all of the changes if indeed these issues have been changed.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how often these big Hollywood movies have sequels already scripted well in advance of the first movie's release. Seems like a rather presumptuous gamble to take, since it's often unknown whether the first one will be a hit (even if it's based on a proven property).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I'm curious as to how often these big Hollywood movies have sequels already scripted well in advance of the first movie's release. Seems like a rather presumptuous gamble to take, since it's often unknown whether the first one will be a hit (even if it's based on a proven property).

That did not seem to deter Lord of the Rings, though.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

That did not seem to deter Lord of the Rings, though.

That would be because all three Lord of the Rings movies were filmed simultaneously over one extremely long filming period (nine months, if I remember my DVD extras). Plus, Peter Jackson knew he had a huge built-in international audience due to the massive popularity of the original work, and he had to be confident enough in the fidelity of his adaptation to know that he was going to recoup the filming costs. Even so, I believe it was somewhat of a hard sell on his part to Hollywood execs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Jackson didn't know squat about LOTR's success. He had to beg for funding, and the only reason New Line gave it to him was the exec was a fan of the source material. But even shot simultaneously, the trilogy was a financially risky venture. But his attention to detail was what saved him. The same can't be said for DB:E, though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
From some IMDB'er who saw a sneak preview:

Quote:
Sigh. Yes, it's bad. Bad, bad, bad. Fellow 'Dragonball' fans - avoid this movie if you want to preserve your sanity and do not want to see your favourite characters bastardised onscreen. The dialogue is cheesy, and the plot if silly and everytime a character called Justin Chatwin 'Goku', people in the cinema *beep* (I still think they should have gotten an Asian actor)

There was absolutely no chemistry between Goku and Chi Chi, or Bulma and Yamcha. Picollo didn't get enough screentime, and so turned into a two-dimensional villain. The storyline (if you can call it that) was totally rushed through. The whole movie felt rushed, like the filmmakers knew they were making an embarassing piece of crap and just wanted to get it over and done with.

I guess the best thing about the movie is that the special effects looked good. I just wished they had gotten a better fight choreographer, so that the fight scenes (there were so, so few) could look a little more authentic.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
More, it seems.

Quote:
The final shot of the film? spoiler[Goku and Chi Chi in a ring, squaring off for a fight to prove they are both capable fighters. Chi Chi does a flying kick, Goku flies up to block her. It's a freeze frame ending.]

And if you're still awake by the end of the movie, there's an epilogue after the credits. spoiler[This pretty Asian girl is preparing some medicine in a pot. She pours it into a bowl and goes into the next room, where a mysterious figure is lying underneath a blanket. She then takes a cloth, dips it into the hot liquid and places it upon the person's forehead. The person turns over, and lo and behold....it's Piccolo, who was supposed to be dead!! (which reminds me of X-Men 3, actually)]

The lame writing continues.

Quote:
spoiler[1. Um, I'm not sure which incident you're talking about. The very first time Carey and Goku have a confrontation, Carey (the school bully) runs over Goku's bike with his car. Goku shouts out "Hey, you just ran over my bike!" and Carey who's walking away, says to his friend, "Dude, did you just fart? Coz I swear I heard something." Cue highschool alpha male posturing, etc etc.

2. Goku learns Kamehameha from Roshi. He only says 'Kamehameha' once in the movie, when he's fighting Piccolo. But he uses it a few times. Roshi asks him to use the power to light up some candle-lampss in the temple in Tai-So. As he's practicing Chi Chi shows up and (how to put this delicately) gives him some incentive to train harder.

3. Chi Chi is Carey's girlfriend. She feels sorry for Goku when Carey bullies him, but they don't talk until Goku uses his powers (his 'ki') to help her open her stuck locker door. Ah, high school romances. :)]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ugh...

Quote:
To be honest, the 'climactic' fight scenes were a little too short for me. Only because the manga and the anime make them so awesome. The movie just doesn't compare.

Oozaru makes an appearance, spoiler[rampaging, attacking Yamcha and Roshi, but only until Goku remembers to 'believe in himself' and reverts back to Goku.]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
Plus, Mai gets some action scenes...

Quote:
Ok, Mai. I'm trying to remember all the scenes where she's fighting with weapons. spoiler[Er, her first scene, she points her gun and shoots this hot Asian girl who's a guardian of one of the DBs. Her second scene, she uses shurikens to attack Gohan in his house before Piccolo comes to kill him. I think she points a gun at him, too. Later on, she attacks Goku, Bulma, Yamcha and Roshi at some lava pits, but I can't remember if she uses her gun or not, sorry. Later, disguised as Chi Chi, she shoots at Goku, Bulma and Yamcha. Lastly, in her final scene, she pulls out her gun to threaten Bulma into giving her the last DB. Before she can pull the trigger, Yamcha shoots her with Bulma's gun.]
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Goku & Chichi did fight in the ring, didn't they? (Been too long since I watched that part). She was pissed he didn't remember he promised to marry her or something, wasn't it?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Goku & Chichi did fight in the ring, didn't they? (Been too long since I watched that part). She was pissed he didn't remember he promised to marry her or something, wasn't it?

Correct. What was funny about it was he thought marriage was something edible at the time. But as a true warrior, Goku doesn't go back on his word.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that fight was more of a joke than something serious like what I assume they're going for in the film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8