• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Big Trouble in Little Tokyo

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear Funimation re-released Welcome to the NHK. Now I can actually afford to pick up the whole series. Very Happy

Kudos to the owner of those shelves, for having such a strong love for the medium to import all that anime. You inspire me to import my Monkey Majik CD from Yes Asia that I've been wanting forever.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Good luck on the test.

Quote:
The breasts in this show are absolutely absurd, and not just because they're bulbous sacs of air that rest in perfect suspension. Somehow, their clothes are able to wrap perfectly around each individual breast, like some kind of sock. Or a glove, for breasts. Look at this. Does this look right to you?

Some animator's been studying the Disney style of breast-drawing. Rolling Eyes
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
I think your dead wrong about Kenichi, yes I admit the Story is very very simplistic and stereotypical, But come on I enjoyed it, I thought the teachers are flat-out hilarious and I admit that while it's slightly repetitive the English Dub on the show is fantastic with Josh Grelle, Sonny Strait and Vic Mignogna as the standouts on the show
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Somehow, their clothes are able to wrap perfectly around each individual breast, like some kind of sock. Or a glove, for breasts.

Okay...I have to say it. This is a really good idea. People would buy this. Seriously, with all the crazy things people wear these days, this would totally be a viable product.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
The same conspiracy that makes Bamboo dislike your favourite shows!

Hey, if you are going to bait the readers, at least have the common courtesy to bait them. I like Samurai 7 very much, while I couldn't give a toss about Tokyo Majin or Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple.

I was really looking forward to arguing with Bamboo. But now that I know she likes the same sorts of shows that I do, my dreams have gone up in a puff of smoke. Darn.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see N.H.K get a new release....and new covers as well.
I know I'm not the only one that would've been a little red in the face if I went to the store counter with the others.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
Considering the hate on Kenichi I just want to say that I really enjoyed the show. I thought every character was absolutely hilarious. I don't care if it's being serious, a parody, or whatever, I love it. I thought every character was highly likeable and I don't see why someone would hate it. Maybe it's because I adore it for it's ridiculousness and ludicrous nature, but I really enjoyed it so much that I want another season to come out. It was good. For me anyways. Plain and simple. And as for the reviewer... well it was bad for you. To each his own. I still love Kenichi.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quote
Well for me these reviews were helpful in their own way (still might pick up Tokyo Majin, but it's really not for the story, more like data mining for other hobbies)

Well Samurai 7 is one the list of to get anime.....eventually. Obviously not owning HD/Blueray player makes getting this particualr set kinda moot but that hasn't stopped me from picking up other entertainment media before (like video games for example) But I'll say that this series probably isn't enough by itself to get me to go out and get a player to run it right now.

As to Kenichi, it wasn't looking good for me based on the ads and this review has confirmed it for me. As I don't like typical shonen shows and this one combines all of them into one generic non-interesting whole. So really this series isn't for me.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:
Considering the hate on Kenichi I just want to say that I really enjoyed the show. I thought every character was absolutely hilarious. I don't care if it's being serious, a parody, or whatever, I love it. I thought every character was highly likeable and I don't see why someone would hate it. Maybe it's because I adore it for it's ridiculousness and ludicrous nature, but I really enjoyed it so much that I want another season to come out. It was good. For me anyways. Plain and simple. And as for the reviewer... well it was bad for you. To each his own. I still love Kenichi.

Agreed. Kenichi is just stupid fun and it never really tries to be anything more than that. If you focus on all the inaccuracies in such a blatant shounen action piece then of course you won't enjoy it. Take the fact that he was able to beat up Tuskaba (guessing here since I don't quite remember who the first guy he fought was) after a week, here on planet earth he'd have to have talent to do that. In this show, everyone at Ryozanpaku spends most of the series telling him how he has no natural talent whatsoever >.>

And as much as I enjoyed welcome to the NHK, I find it strange that the breasts in kenichi (lazy animation/art in a 52 episode series?) comes up, but the more than rare Picasso moments in Welcome to the NHK didn't see any mention . It's more than the face, there were moments when entire figures were out of wack.

Same with Samurai 7 (which I've watched at least a half a dozen times), that bit where they're at the inn (episode 7 I think) and Shichiroji fights that hairy samurai is ridiculous. It didn't ruin the series for me, but I'll take floating breast over that any day <.<

Last edited by babbo on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
It's funny, I've been putting off the anime series Welcome to the NHK because I loved the manga so much. I was the same way about Beck.

As always, I enjoyed your reviews. Thanks!

Hope you're feeling better and good luck on your finals!
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
When you mention the animation in NHK is inconsistent, especially in the facial features, are you talking about the weird lines that appeared in nearly all the characters faces along episode 13?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Wow, and here I thought more people enjoyed Kenchi. Well, none the less, I am going to rent the first volume. I'll admit I wish the series didn't have as much fanservice as it does, but if the show is good, I can over look that.

At the very least, Kenchi doesn't say "belive it" every episode, unlike Naruto.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
I've been sick for a whole week now.

I've been sick for two weeks. The first week it was just in my chest and then in the second week it went to my head. And just as I got a job, too. Hope yours doesn't last as long.

Samurai Seven has been on my list for awhile. When I do eventually get it (which will hopefully be soon since now I'll have money come in), it won't be the Blu-ray version, though. Kenichi and Tokyo Majin weren't on the list anyway and doesn't look like that will change. I might possibly get Welcome to the NHK at one point, but I already have the original novel so I'm in no rush to get the anime.
labantnet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
I completely disagree with the review of Kenichi. I think you're taking it to seriously. Everything about the show is a joke. You've got the absurdly big breasted, awesome fighting, "beautiful" Miu, There's nothing about her that's not a joke. The completely perverted Ma, who is constantly taking pictures of Miu in compromising positions. Constantly! Then Shigure who has no emotion, and whips-out swords and knifes at every opportunity. Then Apachai who is basically a large child that can kill you with ease, and can't learn to "Go easy" on anyone. I could go on, but either way, the point is that EVERYthing about this show is way over the top. I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. I think if you watch it as a comedy, not a shonen fighting series you'll enjoy it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
So "Welcome to the NHK" has been released without those appalling "sexy pose" covers? Hmm, maybe I should rethink it now. I hated the first episode because I felt it was making fun of the main character (clearly mentally ill), and then I loved the book so much that I was worried about adaptation decay... but maybe I should give it a rent now.

As for "Samurai 7"... I was so disappointed at the ending! I don't want to run into major spoilers, but they kept the final line of the movie (that this was the villager's victory) but in the final battle of the show the villagers did nothing!! And they didn't seem to think through any of the changes they made. Why are people still planting rice in the future the way they did in the early 1800s?? Why are they using swords to fight robots?? I would have excepted any answer, if they'd just given one. Is wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to my hopes.

The animation was gorgeous, though, so it's good that they did a Blu-Ray release for fans who can play them. And the ending theme is gorgeous too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4