• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gallery - Lincy Chan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Lincy sure does have good advice. Makes me want to aspire more
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why art teachers look down upon people who draw manga style. =/ American comicbook-style and Disney-style are legitimate art forms, but not manga-style? Why not?
cetriya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I dont think cartooning in any style is really looked well upon in many art schools.

IMO, I dont think doing a cartooning style while learning the basics makes sense. its something you do on your own time and use the basics you have learned. learned.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
IMO, I don't think doing a cartooning style while learning the basics makes sense. its something you do on your own time and use the basics you have learned. learned.

I agree with that; you need to know the basics before going off on your own, but I find that in many flexible art forms, like illustration and animation, the teachers have the same attitude.
Dahling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This was a nice article. ^-^ I admit that while not being much of an artist myself I tend to skim a little, but it's really enjoyable having these people whose art I've actually seen places on here. ^-^

And since I have the nagging feeling I didn't leave a comment back then.... The Avatar background artist from a while back was AWESOME. <3

BTW: I've been keeping an eye out for Rhysmith, actually. But haven't seen it in many stores (and for a while I was too broke even if I did see it ^-^Wink, but I've been meaning to buy it. The art looks gorgeous IMHO.
raidou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
she's really skilled;i hope my skill advances as well as her's has one day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1