• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dream Mismatch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
My big upcoming release definitely is Rune Factory Frontier.

Grats to XSEED and showing they can surpass Natsume and get games out faster. Now that this is done though...

Promise me we'll get a Muramasa release date soon. <3
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
For those of us who used to play King of Fighters Dream Match '99 on the Dreamcast for hours on end is there anything remarkably different about the "new" KOF'98? Sounds like it's almost entirely the same game, just with a few new characters and some new features. I fully intend to get it, just wondering what's changed from the DC version.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In an age when few publishers translated Japanese RPGs and fewer still did it well

I doubt WD qualifies for the latter category. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
and yet another new version of Ys Book I and II.

D'oh! I just got the DS one. Mad Anyway, I just hope they port the other games.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
For those of us who used to play King of Fighters Dream Match '99 on the Dreamcast for hours on end is there anything remarkably different about the "new" KOF'98? Sounds like it's almost entirely the same game, just with a few new characters and some new features. I fully intend to get it, just wondering what's changed from the DC version.

Emerje

I have played the DC version and I can tell you this is a far superior version. Yeah a lot of the backgrounds ARE based off DM99 (there are new ones as well), but that's about it. The aesthetics and overall presentation of the game is completely new (as opposed to DM99 which pretty much recolored all the menus and everything and labeled it Dream Match 1999)

-They fixed that annoying bug in the DC version where the music would restart every round. Only thing is how soon the track will fade out and loop when on Arrange. But this is a minor annoyance considering how good the AST sounds.

-Instead of just facing Rugal at the end, it's possible to "recreate" past games by fighting say the 96 Boss Team and then Goenitz ala 96 or the Awakened Orochi Team and then Orochi ala 97. These matches feature their original stages as well (which have also received small, subtle 3D facelifts).

-Unlike the original or DM99 the computer will actually switch teams up on you with both EX characters and characters using EX or Ultimate Modes (in the original and DC versions you'd only face CPU opponents using the default Advanced mode and it wasn't possible to fight the Awakened Orochi team or say, EX Terry in Single Player.

-You can actually play with all the 3D stages turned off, and even play with the original 16 bit soundtrack (something you couldn't do in DM99). And if THAT wasn't enough for purists, you can just load up the NG original.

Anything else? Just ask Very Happy

Anyway I have to say aside from missing Online mode, I really prefer this game OVER SFIV, I simply find the gameplay smoother and much more fun. I'm really looking forward to XII not just for the gorgeous graphics, but for the fun and simple gameplay I can take Online.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
why is Kyo's flame green? am i missing something?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

Nope, I think that about covers it. Sounds like the only thing I'm going to be missing from DM is the anime opening, but that's why I still keep my DC hooked up. Very Happy

Thanks a lot!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
In an age when few publishers translated Japanese RPGs and fewer still did it well

I doubt WD qualifies for the latter category. Rolling Eyes

'well' and 'accurately' are not the same thing. (Of course, I fall into the 'played the original Lunars and has a soft spot for WD' group mentioned in the article. Laughing )

Yet another Suikoden game... I really need to play the ones I own before I get any more (I have 1 through 5, I've only played 1 and 2.) Somehow though, I think I'll still end up buying it and setting it on the shelf to collect dust until I get around to the others.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now he's preparing an all-new Pac-Man game to be released when Pac-Man turns 30 years old in 2010. Will it be something unique and groundbreaking, like the underrated Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, or just another maze-based 3-D Pac-Man?

I suspect the survival horror genre.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
In response to the final mouseover, I think that localizing yakisoba (as the sign says) as spaghetti is fairly harmless. I might object if this were done for an anime, but not for a video game.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Regular readers of this column may notice that I have a slight, barely detectable fondness for Valkyrie Profile games.

Uh-hu...you don't say. Wink
I just wish that all of these great looking RPGs were all on one system again. (Like how in this last generation of consoles if you wanted RPGs you bought a PS2, no questions asked). Now it seems like they're everywhere - handhelds and consoles across all makes and models! Which is a good thing...? But at the same time...MY WALLET *cries* it's already so empty! Anime cry I think I heard an echo.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why is Kyo's flame green? am i missing something?

Presumably the sentence

Quote:
There's also an extensive character-editing mode that lets you change even the color of a fighter's energy attacks
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Toshinden: You say that about Kotobuki's style, but he also did the art for Sword of the Dark Ones, and I loved the character designs in that. Best give him some credit. Not everyone call pull off a tigerman character and make him look good. =D

Suikoden Tierkreis: Unfortunately, many Suiko fans are just calling it a bad move on Konami's part. It's true the series slipped big time with 3 and definitely the hideous 4. Perhaps if they decided on a Suikoden 6 instead of this new other-world idea, they could still salvage the series. Well, at least there are lots of interesting nonhuman races in this one. We'll see how it goes.

Covenant of the Plume: You say frantic timing-based combat, but Silmeria had that too. Anyway, so it's a VP game with a high challenge rating. I can imagine this will score big with long-time fans who wanted the series to try something new but I hope the difficulty won't cause people to drop the game in anguish. I will admit Silmeria was slightly disappointing though so this SRPG path might spice things up. But they need to make a Valkyrie Profile Hrist already.
kittykatstargal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Get Excited If: You've ever struggled with the decision of who to marry in a Harvest Moon game.

Ugh, I do, I do. Laughing And I totally adored Rune Factory I and II. I don't know if I can return to a normal Harvest Moon game now. Looking forward to Frontier. <3
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Heh, that "get excited if..." for Rune Factory Frontier definitely fits me. I struggle with that decision for in every game.Laughing
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I have played the DC version and I can tell you this is a far superior version. Yeah a lot of the backgrounds ARE based off DM99 (there are new ones as well), but that's about it. The aesthetics and overall presentation of the game is completely new (as opposed to DM99 which pretty much recolored all the menus and everything and labeled it Dream Match 1999)

-They fixed that annoying bug in the DC version where the music would restart every round. Only thing is how soon the track will fade out and loop when on Arrange. But this is a minor annoyance considering how good the AST sounds.

-Instead of just facing Rugal at the end, it's possible to "recreate" past games by fighting say the 96 Boss Team and then Goenitz ala 96 or the Awakened Orochi Team and then Orochi ala 97. These matches feature their original stages as well (which have also received small, subtle 3D facelifts).

-Unlike the original or DM99 the computer will actually switch teams up on you with both EX characters and characters using EX or Ultimate Modes (in the original and DC versions you'd only face CPU opponents using the default Advanced mode and it wasn't possible to fight the Awakened Orochi team or say, EX Terry in Single Player.

-You can actually play with all the 3D stages turned off, and even play with the original 16 bit soundtrack (something you couldn't do in DM99). And if THAT wasn't enough for purists, you can just load up the NG original.

Anyway I have to say aside from missing Online mode, I really prefer this game OVER SFIV, I simply find the gameplay smoother and much more fun. I'm really looking forward to XII not just for the gorgeous graphics, but for the fun and simple gameplay I can take Online.

wow that sounds like its worth it, i loved KOF99 Dream Match for the Dreamcast (still have it), but this sounds like they fixed all of the issues from the Dreamcast version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2