• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
Ladies and gentlemen, the winner of the 2010 Razzie awards for Worst Picture. Confused
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I knew it. We were right all along, we had this production sussed months ago.

To all those who demanded that we wait for the trailers before delivering our judgement, and then demanded that we wait until the actual movie when it was discovered how bad the trailers were, well I hope they are wallowing in shame right now. Because I'm shamelessly wallowing in an "I told you so" mood. It's amazing how some people tried so hard to convince themselves that this was going to be in any way shape or form a decent movie.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want it to be bad. But I refuse to go easy just because of the badge. When will Hollywood learn that you cannot take a great series or game, make an awful movie loosely based on it, stick the name on it and expect anyone to see it, let alone like it? After the disappointment of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, I had hoped that they had learned their lesson. Obviously the inherent greed in Hollywood has still not been expunged.

Anyway, I cannot help feel a sense of dread for the eventual quality of the other live-action adaptations either in production or scheduled to be so. Cowboy Bebop in particular; so many potential pitfalls, so little money around to overcome them. And perhaps once this movie bombs in North America (which if God truly exists will surely happen), there might not be so much enthusiasm to make more adaptations. I don't know whether to be sad or happy, but I would rather have the source material left alone and respected than have it so bastardised.

The only way you can tell something will suck is if you at least see the trailer, and even then if the trailer was badly cut the movie might not be as bad as you thought.

But here's the thing did anyone thinks this was going to be good? No, their was clearly no talent involved, and movie studios need to learn that to do a proper adaptation you can't just throw some money at people and hope they don't screw up.

You'd be surprised. Even after the heap of bad reviews started coming in slews for this movie, there are still die hard fans who refuse to believe this movie could possibly be that bad until they see it with their own eyes. Hell there are fans who will only hold any credence towards "good" reviews given by DB otaku who are too blinded by their fanboism to realize the movie is actually garbage.

Honestly people, do you know why you can usually tell a movie is going to bad based only on the trailer? Because they take the best shots of the movie and mince them into the trailer, this is especially the case for an action movie. If the DBE trailer looked that bad than that says to me that the hardcore action sucks, the clips display bad acting too, so what's left? Essentially nothing but a steaming pile. I can't hold the "I told you so" back long enough.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
and then it's over. They hint at a sequel

I hear there's a "bonus" after the credits.

If there's any sort of "bonus" at the end, it should be an apology from the filmmakers...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Awwwww.

I knew this was going to be terrible, but I hoped it would be terrible in a fun way. Apparently it's now terrible in a TERRIBLE way.

Guess I won't go see it after all. I'm not going to say "Hollywood makes everything terrible," but it is true that there are some people out there who should not make films and who should absolutely listen (or give a crap about) the fanbase for the ones they do make. Uwe Boll is despised for a reason: he ruins what everyone else already enjoyed and gives the gaming population a bad name. Now the douche director of this film can join him in the hall of shame.

I was hoping it would be so bad it's good, but alas it doesn't seem to be the case. I'll probably rent it and give it the MST3K treatment on EVERY little thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Now I wonder if someone could compare it with Dragonball: The Magic Begins. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dante80

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
May I dare say that anyone that goes willingly and pays to see this movie is a masochist?... Laughing

(I know I will when it comes to Greece...I'll go together with friends to laugh our...off) Anime hyper
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
sample dialogue: “Cheese and rice, my nads got scorched!”

Why 'cheese and rice'? Perhaps this is supposed to sound like the name of a certain religious figure, often uttered as exclamation. Somewhat of a odd substitution if you ask me.

Yes. Another variant of that I've heard is "peas and carrots," although that sounds less like the source material.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Bulma has cosmetics plastered on like a whore in a Ratt video"

Jeez, this really messed up some of my neurons that were dormant for a long time. At least you save a lot of us a handfull-o-money. Mr. Green
revilenigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Electrastar wrote:
Imagine if they make movies all the way to the Dragon Ball Z storylines....ouch, that's going to be BAD!

That's what they're planning... no I'm not kidding.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
May I dare say that anyone that goes willingly and pays to see this movie is a masochist?... Laughing

(I know I will when it comes to Greece...I'll go together with friends to laugh our...off) Anime hyper

I for one am not paying to see this movie. I will give my money, instead, to some other deserving movie that I've probably already seen and walk into DB: E. I think I'll pay for Watchmen again. But seriously, FOX, you're done. Epic fail. Time to clean house and get rid of your top execs cos they are like a virus infecting your movies whose only concern is suing companies to stop good movies from actually being made.
xia83

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Haha, to bad for my brother since he was really looking forward to this (presumably) craptastic movie.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping this movie won't end up damaging the franchise as a whole. Neither the fans nor FUNimation will want it. Confused
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
To people trying to justify their optimism, may it rest in peace:

You were right to make a point of saying that no one could know what the quality of the film would be. To actually do that one has to see the film in question; end of discussion.

On the other hand, dissenters who looked at the growing amount of evidence associated with the project (including a compelling mark of approval from Toriyama) and came to the conclusion that this was something that had almost everything going against it's success were also right.

Dragonball isn't Little Red Riding Hood or Jack and The Beanstalk; it's the product of a very particular man's imagination and his imagination in particular is very peculiar. I am neither impressed (nor surprised, groan) that in attempting to create a live action adaption of his work he was not more significantly involved. I wonder if anyone who understood what needed to be done was involved. I think that alone was reason enough to approach this with some apprehension; those who wanted to believe otherwise were only doing just that.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
When news of this was first released, I knew this would be horrid. Now almost a year later, there is solid proof this movie is garbage.

This movie was a failure to begin with. Picolo looked like a rejected smurf/star trek character, Goku was a angsty, hot headed alien and to top it all off, Mystical beings.

There wasn't one redemable part in this movie. It was failure the second it started. Which I knew it would months ago.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

May I ask which theater you saw it in (I presume you're here for TAF?)

I caught the 2pm show at the Shinegawa Prince Cinema just outside the JR train station there. Notably, the ticket was 18 bucks. Technically I paid more to see Dragonball Evolution than I've ever paid to see any movie ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17