• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dogs Video Anime's Promotional Movie Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
I tried to add this to the encyclopedia once but the entry wasn't approved. But now that ANN has acknoledged the existence of this David Production OVA someone should add it finally.

The trailer looked nice although I liked the style from the manga illustrations better.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Looks like it's worth a watch. Decent budget, nice stylised (almost Hirano-esque) art, and if nothing else I'd watch it for the soundtrack.
My understanding of Moon is pretty much non-existent, but I'm assuming the first date for each volume is for the release with the Manga bundle, and the second is a stand-alone release?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
Looks awesome, cannot wait for subs. But that's months away. :'<

And hopefully Viz doesn't screw up the manga.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
The trailer looked nice although I liked the style from the manga illustrations better.

Really? Because I was impressed with how faithful they stayed to the manga's character designs.

What I liked the most was the music they used. Does anyone know about the credit listed for music, Studio PJ?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
hara wrote:

Really? Because I was impressed with how faithful they stayed to the manga's character designs.

OVAs tend to do that, and do it well. In my opinion, the OVA is the perfect anime format.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
What amazing music they used in the trailer. *A*
I have the feeling that the OVA's going to do well as an adaptation for the series.
But does anyone else know any manga/anime similar to Dogs?
The only ones I can really think of is Baccano! and Kite.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the trailer, but the concept sounds like a better Hollywood movie than GITS.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
The only ones I can really think of is Baccano! and Kite.

I'd say Baccano!, yes, but how the heck is Kite similar to Dogs???
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I don't mean by sex or anything.
But there's lots of shooting/action in it, and how the main character is kinda reminded me of Dogs.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

I don't mean by sex or anything.
But there's lots of shooting/action in it, and how the main character is kinda reminded me of Dogs.

Are we talking about the same "Kite"? Because what makes me lump "Dogs" and "Baccano!" together is the slick action and the dry comedy, and I don't remember anything funny in "Kite" (unless you count how her breasts magically change size from one scene to the next).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Looks like it's worth a watch. Decent budget, nice stylised (almost Hirano-esque) art, and if nothing else I'd watch it for the soundtrack.

Took the words right outta my mouth, hon. I haven't read this series yet (i.e. stolen/pirated it) but the visuals alone have gotten me interested, and with this preview I'm absolutely gonna check it out. And with any luck the anime'll be licensed before too long.

When I listened to the music for the trailer again (not watching, helps concentrating on the sound) the catchy jazz-esque score reminded me almost instantly of Ms. Yoko Kanno. Anyone get that feeling?
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't think the music is good? It's so generic.

I'm relieved that the character designs look good (I was very disappointed in the promo image), and while it's hard to tell from the trailer, the animation seems to be okay. The backgrounds look good as well. Whew, finally I have some faith in this anime.

I still wish they hadn't kept Sakurai Takahiro and Ishida Akira, though... I know they're popular but when I was listening to the drama CD I kept cringing every time Badou spoke.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
When I listened to the music for the trailer again (not watching, helps concentrating on the sound) the catchy jazz-esque score reminded me almost instantly of Ms. Yoko Kanno. Anyone get that feeling?

No, it's not Youko Kanno, it's something or someone called Studio PJ. And it wasn't as... "epic" as her stuff tends to be (even if a series is terrible, her music for it tends to be brilliant). This was solid music, and I liked it, but I'd have to hear more to say whether it was up to her level.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
I tried to add this to the encyclopedia once but the entry wasn't approved. But now that ANN has acknoledged the existence of this David Production OVA someone should add it finally.

The relationship tree and release info were a bit messy, so it took a while longer to fix things up. It has been approved by now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1